Letter of support question/newbie

Carrie A.
on 7/27/09 3:04 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi everyone,
I'm Carrie & a newbie to all of this.  I went to a seminar on Sat. and they told us to get a letter of support from our primary doctor. 
Anyway, I am worried about getting a letter of support from my doctor.  What if she doesn’t want to give me a letter, then what? 
How do I go about brining it up, what should I say?  I have only been to this doctor 2-3 times regaurding PCOS issues.  I really don't know how she feels about all of this.  

A doctor I had a few years ago flipped out on me when I asked her about the lap band.  I guess that is why I am so nervous to bringing it up with this doctor. 

My appt. is tomorrow at 3pm

Thanks for any help :)

Carrie

Nancy S.
on 7/27/09 4:02 am - Mesa, AZ
Carrie,
before your appt, make a list for yourself about why you need and want this, based on facts such as your BMI, health issues, failed attempts at weight loss ans such. Your Doctor is there to help you get healthy. Give her the benefit of the doubt and just be really honest with her about what you need. She may suprise you! good luck! nancy S.

Wendy's Dream
Came true

on 7/27/09 4:31 am - Mesa, AZ
VSG on 08/09/22
Carrie,  I am changing Dr. also. I don't feel my Dr. that I have been seeing for the past 3 yr is behind me and going to a new Dr. Friday.  Go to you appointment and ask. If you don't feel like she will be behind you in this find a new Dr.  Good Luck.

Wendy
 Wendy  

1st fill 4cc,  2nd fill 1.5cc  3rd fill 1.5cc 4th fill .5   Total 7.5 cc  in my 11cc Realize Band.

Reached 1st goal weight 158 on 6/8/10, My Starting weight 235  
                                               Hit final goal of 145  10/25/10 

Current weight 143  
                                If you work the band the band will work for you.

Michele T.
on 7/27/09 4:54 am - Scottsdale, AZ
My PCP was happy I asked.  He feels that each patient needs to become interested in WLS themselves. He was very supportive both pre and post surgery.

Good luck in your journey!

Michele 
Betty S.
on 7/27/09 8:05 am - Mesa, AZ
Hi Carrie;  I would just bring it up.  You don't say what your weight or bmi is....that is a BIG factor in this surgery, as is any other medical issues you might have. The PCOS right there is a big one.
Something in the manner of "I've been researching the possibility of having weight loss surgery, and went to a seminar.  I do think this is something I want to look into.  Would you be willing to send the surgeon, Dr X, a letter stating medical necessity?"  For insurance, it is important that your PCP says in the letter that you need the surgery.  She would include the PCOS diagnosis, and anything else, like high blood sugar, high cholestrol, sleep apnea...oh, there are a host of problems corrected by surgery.
good luck, and remember, your doctor works for you!  Don't be afraid to ask for what you want.  I bet you'd be pleasantly surprised.

JRinAZ
on 7/27/09 10:47 am - Layton, UT
On July 27, 2009 at 10:04 AM Pacific Time, xappie wrote:
Hi everyone,
I'm Carrie & a newbie to all of this.  I went to a seminar on Sat. and they told us to get a letter of support from our primary doctor. 
Anyway, I am worried about getting a letter of support from my doctor.  What if she doesn’t want to give me a letter, then what? 
How do I go about brining it up, what should I say?  I have only been to this doctor 2-3 times regaurding PCOS issues.  I really don't know how she feels about all of this.  

A doctor I had a few years ago flipped out on me when I asked her about the lap band.  I guess that is why I am so nervous to bringing it up with this doctor. 

My appt. is tomorrow at 3pm

Thanks for any help :)

Carrie

Hiya Carrie!
Congrats on pursuing a path to better health!!! 

Unfortunately there are unsupportive and difficult folks in the medical field and like all people; they all have a variety of opinions on the best way to get to a healty weight.

I had a bit of a struggle with my PCP and especially with my cardiac surgeon.  Soooo, my hubby didn't want to fight the same battle so just called the Bariataric surgeon's office to see if they would recommend a PCP who is on board with WLS and who could help him jump through the hoops quickly.  

He ended up with Dr. Roberto Ruiz who knew just what to write in the letter and who not only supported pre-op but knows which labs to order for post-op.  That was over 6 years ago and my hubby still drives almost 50 miles to see Dr. Ruiz :)

Tell your PCP "your" decision and if he/she won't support you then shoot us a post.  Wayyyyyyy back in 2008; I compiled a list of weight loss surgery friendly PCP's in Phoenix.  You could hunt through the search at the top right of this forum.

good luck!  Keep us posted!  Take control!!!  .......

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Carrie A.
on 7/27/09 12:44 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Thank you everyone for the helpful comments!! 

I will update tomorrow and let you guys know how it goes!

I'm staying positive :)

Carrie
Carrie A.
on 7/28/09 2:05 pm - Phoenix, AZ

Good news!!  My PCP was behind me and thought it would be a good idea!  woot woot  She was telling me that she had a few other patients who had wonderful results!

The pain in the butt news is that I found out I cannot go to Banner Gateway.  Banner is in my network but Gateway is not approved for bariatric with BCBS.  I can go to Tempe St. Luke, Scottsdale Healthcare (Shea), and Good Sam. 

So now I need to figure out who I should go to now. 

I would like to go to WILA but the other Dr. that works with DeBarros is not in my network.  :( 

Anyway, I feel soooo much better now!! 

Thanks everyone :)

vixen_luv
on 7/28/09 4:48 pm - phoenix, AZ

I highly recomend Dr. Eric Schlesinger, at tempe st. lukes.

Most Active