DEVASTATING NEWS & QUESTIONS

Veronica
on 6/21/09 4:36 am
Just received some devastating news.  A friend of mine just passed away from complications of her RNY surgery.  She was only 30yrs old and her surgery was OVER A YEAR AGO.  Her surgery was done by a very well known Phx, AZ surgeon.  Life was going great for her after the surgery.  Then she got real sick very suddenly, and I mean within a one week period.  The portion of her stomach that is bypassed (the old stomach) developed a leak and since that stomach still remains inside your body and produces stomach acids, it is very dangerous.  The stomach acid leaked inside of her and burned through a large portion of her intestines, burned through her colon, and damaged her organs.  She literally went from life to death within a matter of a day or two.  They placed her on life support on day 2 and on day 3 they turned off the machines.  She left behind 4 small kids and a husband.  I'm still in shock over this.  I keep wondering how this could happen?  I had my surgery over 3yrs ago, and I'm wondering if this is something that I have to worry about for the rest of my life?  I can understand how a leak can develop in the new smaller pouch, but how would a leak develop in the old stomach when there is no food passing through the old stomach anymore?  Anyways, this news has me really worried about the things that can still happen post-surgery.
liveinphx
on 6/21/09 6:08 am - Phoenix, AZ
On June 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM Pacific Time, Veronica wrote:
Just received some devastating news.  A friend of mine just passed away from complications of her RNY surgery.  She was only 30yrs old and her surgery was OVER A YEAR AGO.  Her surgery was done by a very well known Phx, AZ surgeon.  Life was going great for her after the surgery.  Then she got real sick very suddenly, and I mean within a one week period.  The portion of her stomach that is bypassed (the old stomach) developed a leak and since that stomach still remains inside your body and produces stomach acids, it is very dangerous.  The stomach acid leaked inside of her and burned through a large portion of her intestines, burned through her colon, and damaged her organs.  She literally went from life to death within a matter of a day or two.  They placed her on life support on day 2 and on day 3 they turned off the machines.  She left behind 4 small kids and a husband.  I'm still in shock over this.  I keep wondering how this could happen?  I had my surgery over 3yrs ago, and I'm wondering if this is something that I have to worry about for the rest of my life?  I can understand how a leak can develop in the new smaller pouch, but how would a leak develop in the old stomach when there is no food passing through the old stomach anymore?  Anyways, this news has me really worried about the things that can still happen post-surgery.
My thoughts and prayers are with your friend her family and you as well.  The reality is things happen and we may or may not ever understand why. Some folks die as a result of surgrery, some right away, some later down the road. Some with warning some without.
When I hear stories like this it reminds me how fragile all of our lives are and to do our best to live each day the best we can.
Whatever you do is it truthful, necessary and kind?
RayM
on 6/21/09 2:16 pm - Surprise, AZ
That is very sad news.  I am sorry for you.  I can understand how you feel somewhat,  I am still in shock from losing my mom in Feb.  People tell me it takes time but I do not know how long.  I will keep you in my thoughts.
(deactivated member)
on 6/22/09 12:44 am - San Jose, CA
Sounds like she developed a perforated ulcer in her blind stomach.  This can happen for a lot of reasons, but I wonder if she was taking NSAIDs, which are contraindicated for RNY patients.

This is another reason I chose the DS over the RNY.  No blind stomach churning out acid and ghrelin, and inaccessible to endoscopy.  The ability to take NSAIDs was a further important reason I didn't want an RNY.
JRinAZ
on 6/22/09 3:18 am - Layton, UT
You said, "This is another reason I chose the DS over the RNY.  No blind stomach churning out acid and ghrelin, and inaccessible to endoscopy.  The ability to take NSAIDs was a further important reason I didn't want an RNY. "

Are you kidding me?  You chose to infilatrate our AZ forum to promote a surgery when someone is obviously expressing grief?

unbelievable!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Betty S.
on 6/22/09 2:37 am - Mesa, AZ

I am so sorry for your loss.  It is hard to lose a friend, I know.  It sounds like what ever happened to her was massive.  I know that having our insides re-arranged carries a lot of risk, but it's always sad to hear of someone who loses their life. 

As for your question about 'old' stomach problems after surgery, my only answer is that we have to pay attention to what our body is telling us, and be aggressive in getting somebody to listen when we think something is wrong.  If our gut is bothering us, we need to act on it.  We are no longer 'normal' in that we can let symptoms go by.  I'm not saying your friend did this at all, just that we need to remember her story.

JRinAZ
on 6/22/09 3:15 am - Layton, UT
On June 21, 2009 at 11:36 AM Pacific Time, Veronica wrote:
I too have lost some dear friends "post" WLS.  It is hearbreaking when a person has aggressively pursued better health and a better quality of life to end up being one of the very unfortunate statistics.  It is sobering for each of us to consider that it indeed "could be us". 

I'm sure your friend will want to be remembered as much more than a statistic.  Was she able to enjoy some freedom from obesity before her passing?

My heart goes out to your friend's loved ones and sincerely hope those wee ones will be surrounded by hundreds of caring and comforting people in their lives!

I pledge to honor your friend by helping to educate and support pre and post weight loss surgery patient's!

((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))))))))!!!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

tochatty
on 6/22/09 3:22 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
I understand about the fear of having had the surgery now after having lost your friend. 

I vowed on the day I had my surgery that no matter what I was saving my life and if it was not meant to be, then God had another plan for me after I left this earth.  I'm sure God had wonderful plans for your friend, perhaps to watch over her children as an angel on their shoulders.

Many hugs and prayers go out to you and her family as well.  No matter how old or young, life is precious!

Tochatty (Jennifer) in AZ
Open RNY 07/2000
SW 336, Lowest Weight 185, CW 272
Seeking Revision GBS

Most Active