Feeling a bit lost

karlid1
on 4/9/09 11:03 pm
I am hoping someone out there has some advice.  I had RNY surgery on 2/28/08 by Dr. Villares.  For several months following my surgery I suffered with excessive vomiting.  I couldn't eat anything but broth & runny mashed potatoes.  Dr. V. had told me that he had made the opening extremely tight & would need to come back & have it opened up.  I did this twice with him with little success.  When I called for a 3rd time, his staff told me he wasn't able to help me & to find a GI doc in my area.  I did this, but not before suffereing other complications.  The new GI doc removed several staples about 6 mo's ago & I am now able to eat more normal  food. My pre-op weight was 333 and as of January, had gotten down to 207.  Since then, I went up to 216 and as of this month I am back down to 212.  Up until January, I was losing 3 to 7 lbs per month and now I cannot seem to break the 200# barrier.  
Too be quite honest, I feel a bit betrayed by my doctor.  I am aware of the problems he had right around the same time I had my surgery.  While in the hospital from the complications I spoke of, I met with another bariatric doc who was willing to take me on as a patient, but when I called his office, I was told they couldn't take me because I'm on SSD and they didin't have their certificate of excellence yet.  I have called another local bariatric doc, but his staff advised they wouldn't take me because I had been "dropped" by Dr. Villares. 
Does anyone have any suggestions?  I know I'm supposed to be having blood work done, etc.  but I'm not sure where to turn.  Fortunately, my primary care doc has done some of this for me, but without the guidance of a bariatric surgeon, I'm feeling a bit lost.
KarLid
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 4/10/09 12:31 am - Tucson, AZ
I would try calling Dr. Juarez/Fang's office and see if they would take you on as a patient.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

JRinAZ
on 4/10/09 1:13 am - Layton, UT
I"m so sorry you've had such a rough journey!  Congrats on your weight loss!  It's sounding like you'd like to continue to lose more and perhaps at this point you may need a revision of some type?

I'm not sure what SSD insurance is but if you require a Center of Excellence then your best bet for a Revision expert is Dr. Juarez with Bridges ST Luke's.  However, I think one of the very best Revision experts in our piece of the world is Dr. Eric Schlesinger.  He is still getting established at Tempe St Luke's but will soon be part of a Center of Excellence.  I'd recommend giving him a call.  He's the one I chose to do my revision and I know he's fixed problems with patient's from several other programs.  We're all unique and our results all will vary; regardless of which surgeon we had. 

Good luck!  I hope you can find answers!

Joyce
Most Active