Revision RNY to DS

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/09 6:25 pm - AZ
You only have 2 patients confused. I remember the post and they were redirected back to DR S for more clarifying.We don't know if they did. I also think it is up them to do their research and understand what they are doing. I was never manipulated or misstatement of facts were told to me by Dr Schlesinger. He was very easy to understand and is very straightforward. I made my own decision. I must say I like our new name "Posse" thanks for that one. Did you ever hear of HIPAA ? I suggest you google it. Dr S or staff can't give patients names or what surgeries they had done. You should know better. But you see I know the names of his patients and what surgeries they had done because I see them every month at support group. I can't publish their names either.
zuzupetals2u2
on 8/11/09 6:02 am - Sedona, AZ
I have heard this enough times here myself to change my mind from using Dr Schlesinger as I want the DS and dont want to wake up with the ERNY. I dont trust him now. I even directly asked Jen, his assistant,  to assure me he CAN do a DS and she says YES but I need to be sure, so I am going with a different surgeon who does them exclusively, even tho I will have to go out of state.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

JRinAZ
on 8/11/09 7:11 am, edited 8/11/09 7:16 am - Layton, UT
Edited to include quote.

On August 11, 2009 at 1:02 PM Pacific Time, zuzupetals2u2 wrote:
  "I have heard this enough times here myself to change my mind from using Dr Schlesinger as I want the DS and dont want to wake up with the ERNY. I dont trust him now. I even directly asked Jen, his assistant,  to assure me he CAN do a DS and she says YES but I need to be sure, so I am going with a different surgeon who does them exclusively, even tho I will have to go out of state".

Interesting thread.   No matter.  The main thing is that you have found the right doc and the right procedure for you!  Good luck! 

You are certainly welcome to join the Revision - Highly Malabsorptive support group in Tempe if you'd like.  You'll find many fellow DS'ers, ERny's and Distals. (3rd Thursdays of every month, 6 pm, Rm 208 in Medical bldgs West of Tempe St Lukes))

BTW, Dr. Schlesinger is just one of the fabulous surgeon's in the area that I recommend.  He specializes in FIRST time DS's and REVISIONS to ERny.  Any previous confusion on my part was not his fault nor his programs.  I knew exactly what I was going to be waking up with from the O.R. and with all my zillions of medical complications; I would not have even known if I would have woken up from a Revision to a DS. (per DS surgeons outside of AZ)  To quote one of our favoarite AZ docs:  "One size does NOT fit all"!!!  It's great there are options that work for each of us

Let us know how we can help support you on your journey!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/09 5:37 pm - AZ
The consent form for surgery should clearly state what surgery they are signing for and that's when they should question it if they are so confused. So the patient know at the morning of the surgery it will say DS or a ERNY. You know every thing is double and tripled checked that the hospital and surgeon are doing the right operation. Just like a arthroscope they correctly mark the correct knee being done. But some places still screw that up. In 1997 I signed my consent form for a RNY and never got one. The surgeon is long gone and can't find him. I  don't know what the statue of limitations are but it was disclosed to me July 2 ,2008. I had to pay $25,000 in 1997 for this so called RNY that was just a stomach stapling. I still have good restriction and at this time have no complications from the ERNY.  I don't know if I have any recourse to go after the surgeon and hospital because it was a long time ago. Diana I thought you being a Lawyer would know the law on this area.
demps
on 2/24/09 11:28 am
I had a DS with Dr Schlesinger at the end of the summer.  I wanted a lapband, he told me at my first appointment that he would do a lapband if thats what I wanted.  He told me about RNY then suggested I have a DS. He described the DS in great detail!  After I gathered my wounded soul, I did research and decided on the switch.  I am not a revision and I am thankful that I had the DS in the first place.  I feel certain that I will not need a revision. 
In my many visits with Dr S pre & post op, I have always found him to be very encouraging and positive.  Maybe that is why his patients sing his praises.  I think he is a great doctor that really helped me regain my life.  I think if it had not been for Jenn at his office, I would have had a lapband with some other doctor and never would have been able to say "I AM UNDER 200 POUNDS!" 
I know there are many DS patients of his. I have met several and we talk regularly.  It would be nice to have a DS support group since I think our issues are different.  How 'bout we work on that!!!

I LOVE MY DS!!!
(deactivated member)
on 2/24/09 11:57 am - San Jose, CA
Demps -- do you mind if I ask you a few questions about your experience with Dr. Schlesinger?

1)  When did you have your DS?
2)  Was it open or lap?
3)  What was your starting BMI?
4)  Who was your insurance company?  How long till approval?

It sounds like you had an unusually smooth process -- congratulations!

demps
on 2/24/09 2:16 pm

I had my DS in August.  It was open,  my starting BMI was 54.  Current BMI is 29.9 ! Hell Yeah!    I have BCBS of AZ.  I had mostly everything done for insurance prior to meeting with Dr S.  I was going to get a Lapband with another doctor and was stalling because I really was not feeling that good about it.  I called a girl that had a band, Jenn, she was working for a new doc (Dr S).  I went for a consult and he thought the DS was the best option.  In all it took about 7 weeks from when I had all my paperwork turned in to have my surgery.  I know that Jenn said my insurance was awesome for getting the DS approved.  I personally think she is jealous of my DS!  Just kidding, she is very encouraging!

Diana, I have to say, I read tons of your posts and it really helped me make my decision.  So Thanks!  You and Lori Black are so helpful!  There were several others but you guys have so much info to give us. I need to figure out how to a signature and  add the dsfacts.com site info.  I really want to pay it forward!  The DS gave me a whole new life!
I got a new job in November and I can not tell you how awesome it feels to not be the FAT chick in the corner!  People actually notice me.  Heck guys notice me.  Maybe I will find a husband soon.  One step at a time I guess.
I do not know about Dr S and revision but I do know that I have the DS only because I went to him.  He really is a cool doc.  Not my type, too old and skinny!  Trust me I am not a groupie!

I know I love my DS!

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/09 3:42 pm - San Jose, CA
How many DSs had Schlesinger done when he did yours?  You have more nerve than I would have if it was less than 50 ... I would have been very nervous to have a DS with someone who didn't have a long track record or who did not do them very often.

I guess he has to start somewhere!  Do you know if he plans to learn how to do it lap?
Most Active