Revision RNY to DS

exodus57
on 2/21/09 7:43 am - chandler, AZ
Anyone here have Dr. Terry Simpson with a revision?  Any advise or sggestions woulld be appreciated.  Does anyone know of oter Drs. in the area that do this surgery?
Ann M.
on 2/22/09 12:11 am - Peoria, AZ
I thought Dr. Simpson only did lapbands.  I know that Dr. Schlesinger does a lot of RNY to extended RNY revisions.  I don't know about RNY to DS.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Lori G.
on 2/22/09 10:59 pm - Phoenix, AZ
I also have the understanding that Dr. Simpson does lapbands. You may want to try Partners in Bariatric Care, Dr.'s Simon and Schlesinger. Both will be able to discuss options with you to give you the best outcomes for future success. You can reach them at either 602-264-0910 or 480-968-6007

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

JRinAZ
on 2/23/09 2:10 am - Layton, UT
On February 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, exodus57 wrote:
Anyone here have Dr. Terry Simpson with a revision?  Any advise or sggestions woulld be appreciated.  Does anyone know of oter Drs. in the area that do this surgery?
While others may offer revisions as a service; I think the only 3 who have had oodles of experience with revisions within the valley are:

Dr. Terry Simpson (revises to lapband over Rny)
Dr. Eric Schlesinger (revises to DS or Extended Rny from Rny)
Dr. Juarez (revises to "cleaned up" Rny from old Rny)

#'s 2 and 3 on the list can revise a lapband to Rny
# 2 can revise from lapband to DS or ERny

Good luck!  We're having a Revision brunch on Saturday, March 7th.  You'd be welcome to join us and hear our pros and cons of our personal revision experiences.

LOSER'S ROCK and Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 2/27/09 6:19 am - AZ
On February 23, 2009 at 10:10 AM Pacific Time, JRinAZ wrote:
On February 21, 2009 at 3:43 PM Pacific Time, exodus57 wrote:
While others may offer revisions as a service; I think the only 3 who have had oodles of experience with revisions within the valley are:

Dr. Terry Simpson (revises to lapband over Rny)
Dr. Eric Schlesinger (revises to DS or Extended Rny from Rny)
Dr. Juarez (revises to "cleaned up" Rny from old Rny)

#'s 2 and 3 on the list can revise a lapband to Rny
# 2 can revise from lapband to DS or ERny

Good luck!  We're having a Revision brunch on Saturday, March 7th.  You'd be welcome to join us and hear our pros and cons of our personal revision experiences.

LOSER'S ROCK and Everyone deserves a 2nd chance!

I think this thread is interesting:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3872099/my-erny-story/

Don't you?

(deactivated member)
on 2/23/09 10:13 am, edited 2/23/09 10:14 am - San Jose, CA
It is my understanding that Schlesinger ONLY revises RNY to ERNY.
Deanne K.
on 2/23/09 10:20 am - Tucson, AZ
# 2 can revise from lapband to DS or ERny per Joyce's quote.

He does do this.
(deactivated member)
on 2/23/09 10:27 am - San Jose, CA
That's nice -- that wasn't what the OP asked, and Joyce implied that Schlesinger could revise an RNY to a DS and he doesn't -- he essentially always tries talking the patient into an ERNY.  I have heard of several people who (1) were given an ERNY when they thought they were getting a DS; or (2) walked away from Schlesinger when they realized what he was trying to do.
Deanne K.
on 2/23/09 10:45 am, edited 2/23/09 10:59 am - Tucson, AZ
Those that thought they were getting the DS didn't understand the difference and we suggested to them to consult further to have Dr. Schlesinger explain the differences to the people as it can be very confusing.   I think some of these people are saying these things as a wrong interpretation of what he is saying, I too was confused at first and asked for clarification in the differences.  He never tried to talk me into one surgery or the other. 

Those that walked away made an informed decision to chose a different type of revision surgery and surgeon.  It is their perogative.  Not to say that they had an uneventful surgery and complications as he has had many as I have also followed his story, Dr. Rabkin I believe is the one you always praise, what happened here.  Has a perfect record huh, I don't think so.  He had some of the very complications that Dr. Schlesinger warned him about.  There are complications, risks, etc. for every surgery wls or not and every person and at every facility which are risks that need to be taken into account.

Dr. Schlesinger talked about all the options and the possible complications for me and my health.  He did suggest that I research all the options in order to make an informed decision. 
StacysMom
on 2/23/09 1:23 pm, edited 2/23/09 1:24 pm
 YOU were confused too??  Hopefully you got clarification BEFORE you had surgery - the patients who posted last Fall had already gotten their surgeries and thought they had the DS.   So, he apparently CONFUSES ALL of his patients, and NONE of them wind up with the real DS.  

They ALL wind up with the ERNY.  You just proved Diana's point!!   And, it's their choice and their choice alone?   You don't think there's some sort of MD vs. patient manipulation going on here???   The statistics on his "RNY to ERNY" vs. "RNY to DS" revisions speak for themselves!  

NO ONE HAS EVERN GOTTEN AN RNY TO DS REVISION FROM HIM - do you really think it's a coincidence??

If someone is asked for a recommendation to a surgeon who does the ERNY surgery, by all means, recommend your guy, but please stop incorrectly promoting him as the "be all and end all" for every situation.

Plus, I really think that the AZ board should see this recent post on the Revisions board from someone in CANADA - it seems as if this doctor should, as someone suggested, hire an advertising team and not rely on his patients to bring in business.   This OBNOXIOUS and BLATANT misuse of these message boards is DISGUSTING - you all say you want to "infighting" to stop - why don't you all stop your INAPPROPRIATE ADVERTISING for your surgeon:

www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/3868664/Constant-Plugs-F or-Dr-Schlesinger/

Most Active