New here, need help picking a surgeon

Aris
on 1/14/09 9:38 am - tempe, AZ
 Hi, 

I just started the process of finding a surgeon to do my lab band. I have been to 3 seminars at 3 different hospitals. I need to decide between Scottsdale bariatric center w/ Robin Blackstone, Dr. Fang at St. Lukes and dr. dr. chen or podkemene at banner gilbert. I think all these surgeons are very capable but I want to here about others experiences, especially reguarding after care and getting lapband fills. Was it hard getting appointments and fills done when you needed them? 

Thanks,
Aris
Ann M.
on 1/14/09 8:52 pm - Peoria, AZ
Welcome Aris.  I don't have experience with lap band but there are some lap banders on this forum.  I do know there are several support groups in your area that you can and should attend.  You will then be able to talk to people one on one to get their experiences.  You might also try the lapband forum here on OH and ask for any Phoenix area lapbanders.  Sometimes they post there and not here or vice versa.

Good luck in your journey.  Ann
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Deweyscts
on 1/14/09 9:57 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
On January 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM Pacific Time, Aris wrote:
 Hi, 

I just started the process of finding a surgeon to do my lab band. I have been to 3 seminars at 3 different hospitals. I need to decide between Scottsdale bariatric center w/ Robin Blackstone, Dr. Fang at St. Lukes and dr. dr. chen or podkemene at banner gilbert. I think all these surgeons are very capable but I want to here about others experiences, especially reguarding after care and getting lapband fills. Was it hard getting appointments and fills done when you needed them? 

Thanks,
Aris
Are you self pay or what type of insurance do you have.  Maybe if you call or insurance company they will tell you who is in network....

I am pre op Have not had the surgery.  I started with Fang because he was in network for my insurance company.  I went through all the test which cost me about 2000.00.  When all the tests were turned in, I called his office at least 20 times and never got a call back.  I was infuriated.  I started looking for other Doctors at that point. 

Dr Blackstone was not in network for me.  Dr DeBarros was in network but their system was not for me.  He had an assist. surgeon out of network that would have cost 5500.00.  And more pre op test that seemed unnecessary.

I finally found the Doctor I liked.  Dr Schlesinger but alas he was out of network.  I offered to self pay his portion of the bill but my insurance company denied me.  I find this to be typical of insurance companies.  The insurance would have paid less with Doctor S than with Dr. DeBarros (sp) but still denied.

I believe especially with the band that you will need a Doctor's office that will call you back in case of emergency.  The band could be high maintenace from what I read on OH on different boards.  The band is the easiest surgery and least invasive initially, it is also removable if necessary.  Having said that it is important that your Doctor wants to be available to you for fills, overfills, underfills, etc for a period of at least 3 years.

I hope this has helped you. 

There is a wealth of information on OH.  Good luck to you and keep us informed on your progress...

Dewey

JRinAZ
on 1/15/09 4:17 am - Layton, UT
On January 14, 2009 at 5:38 PM Pacific Time, Aris wrote:
 Hi, 

Thanks,
Aris
Hi there futue lapbander:-)
All those surgeons are great and all 3 of those programs have outstanding comprehensive care!  I've participated with all 3 in some way or the other.  I LOVE Dr. Messer (psych) with Dr. Blackstone's practice...I LOVE Donna (psycho!  LOL!) and Dr. Goodall (psych) with Banner Gateway and I LOvE LOVE LOVE Kelly  & Jenel at Bridges St Lukes (Bariatric director and their NUT)  You'll do great with any of those programs.  It is awesome that you are considering the aftercare and not just the surgeon.  Lapbanders especially need to have a relationship with their docs.

Is Dr. Terry Simpson on your plan?  He's kind of the lapband king and has fabulous aftercare.  He takes the  country doc approach and responds personally to his patient's emails and such.  He runs most of his own support group meetings which is nice.  You can give my good friends Christine or Darcie a call if interested.

Good luck!  Luck you to have so many options!

Keep us posted and let us know how we can support you!  ......  How about attending some of the peer facilitated support groups in the valley?  You'll get oodles of TLC and none of them are after your biz !

Chandler Support has a guest speaker this month and EVERYONE is invited.
David Smith (been on Oprah, 20/20, etc.) has lost and maintained over 400 ;pounds....He'll be doing some Q & A and some support chat with us.  4th Tuesdays (Jan 27th) from 6 to 7:30 at Chandler Regional Hospital on Frye and Dobson in conference rooms 1 and 2.  The room is located on the lower level past the pharmacy.  Take the main entrance from the parking lot by the E.R. side.  FREE to all.  Fun for all!  (dinner after for those who want to continue the chatter!)
Questions?  email me at [email protected]

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

nostood
on 1/15/09 5:22 am - Gilbert, AZ
I have nothing but wonderful things to say about the Banner Gateway Bariatric Program.  I personally had Dr. Shuster, but have met with Dr. Podkemini and either one in the practice is great.  Their followup care is wonderful they have support meetings that are free 3x per month.  The staff responds to you immediately (they are currently moving towards email which is even quicker response). 

I started with Dr. Blackstone but was frustrated with the lack of response with the office and the surgery wait time was over a year out. 

Hope this helps.
(deactivated member)
on 1/16/09 2:18 am, edited 1/16/09 2:22 am - AZ
juniecat
on 1/17/09 7:41 am - Prescott Valley, AZ
My choice was Dr. Terry Simpson. I did lots of research. He has taught many other doctors how to do the lapband and he is now doing single incision on those that it will work for. I had a long process getting my insurance approval..it finally took Dr. Simpson having a conference call with BlueCross...he & his staff fought hard for me and they are all fabulous. I was approved on Dec 18 and had surgery on Dec 31.  The single incision was not right for me but I am so healed already it is amazing. I started solid foods today after seeing Dr. S this morning, I'll go back in a month and probably need my 1st fill. He sees out of towners like me on Saturdays and is always available on his blackberry.

Junie in Prescott Valley
charris472
on 1/18/09 1:10 pm - Phoenix, AZ

I also selected and highly recommend Terry Simpson.  I've lost 50 lbs. since he performed my sugery  on 8/27/08.  Surgery was breeze (truly), and I've NEVER had a single pain or complication.  I love the fact that you can reach him virtually any time with any questions.  Staff is good too.

Good luck!

Surgery:  8/27/08
259/210/150

Most Active