Got 1

Ricardo B.
on 12/2/08 6:13 am - Tucson, AZ
well I just got a call from my surgeons office he want to do the surgery on Dec.9th, I am sooooo NERVOUS, I fill like I am hyper ventilating any advice to prepare me for this BIG change in my life would be appreciated...  GOD I can't BELIEVE this is happening....
mskk
on 12/2/08 7:02 am - Kingman, AZ
I am nervous too - my Dr. called me last week - I am looking at Jan 6, or Jan 9th.
Can't help with the prepare part - but after the whole battle to do this - I didn't expect to feel so nervous.  So I will be checking your replys right along with you.
Carol
Kingman AZ
kkortsen
on 12/2/08 11:47 am - AZ
Congrats to you as well Carol.  You too have an excellent surgeon.  Just think how much better you are going to feel.

Happy Holidays,

Kent

373 Highest weight
357 Surgery weight
180 Current weight
Deanne K.
on 12/2/08 7:35 am - Tucson, AZ
Best advice we can give you both is to start uping your protein.
Dawn T.
on 12/2/08 7:46 am - Phoenix, AZ
Ahhh yes, the pre-op jitters - I too was very nervous, but trust that you have done the research needed to make the right decision and you'll be fine.  Do you have a pre-op diet you have to follow?

keyboards 001
Ricardo B.
on 12/2/08 8:24 am - Tucson, AZ
It is all moving so fast now Dawn they want to get it in before the first of the year so that I don't have to pay all my deductibles all over again.  I see them tomorrow see what they say..  Thanks for your reply.
azreggie
on 12/5/08 1:52 am - Tucson, AZ
Start taking your vitamins for a speedy recovery.  You want to go into this in good shape. Don't forget walk, walk, walk, sip, sip sip.   Oh, and Blistex, don't forget the blistex, and a pillow for the ride home. (to hold against your stomach)  Best of luck to you!

Reggie

iveseenital
on 12/2/08 11:16 am - AZ
i WISH YOU THE LUCK!!!

kkortsen
on 12/2/08 11:46 am - AZ
Congrats and good Luck...Your Doc did my cousins VSG last year.  He is really a good surgeon.  Keep us posted!!

Be well,

Kent

373 Highest weight
357 Surgery weight
180 Current weight
Lori G.
on 12/3/08 12:33 am - Phoenix, AZ
You should be taught most of this in your pre-op education class, but to give you a jump start, here are the main points that I teach in pre-op education class:

- decrease your fats and carbs. Have your last big feast and say "hello" to transition to your new lifestyle. It will be important to start "cleaning your liver" prior to surgery, which means liquid diet and high protein drinks. This will help you physically, mentally and emotionally to make the transition
- walk, walk, walk. We have the patients up walking within 1 hour when they reach the floor after surgery. The more you walk prior to surgery, the easier it will be afterwards.
- If you are having your RNY laproscopic, the recovery time is much shorter than an open RNY, so be prepared for the items you will need at home. The average length of stay for a RNY is approx 2-3 days (dependent on surgeon)
-I also tell patients to bring non-skid shoes (slippers...CROCS are great) so you can walk the hospital floors without slipping or falling. Also, you may want to bring PJ bottoms or shorts to wear under the lovely hospital gowns
-make sure that you have plenty of water and hydrating fluids to drink when you arrive back home.

These are a few items to get you started. The ABC's of post surgery and fast recovery are:
A=Ambulation (walking-prevents blood clots)
B= Breathing ( use incentive spirometer from hospital- prevents pneumonia)
C=Cough (clears out lungs and decreases chance of upper respiratory infection)

You are going to do great, so let me know if you have any other questions!
Best Wishes....

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Most Active