RNY vs LAPBAND

dollyctimeforme
on 11/29/08 11:43 am
I would like to know how to determine which WLS is right for a person is there check list? What do you look at?  OPEN FOR ANY COMMENTS Thanks DollyC
iveseenital
on 11/29/08 7:58 pm - AZ
The reason I had my Lap band was personal, I wanted weight loss surgery, I just didn't want the risks that are associated with the the RNY. I chose the lap band, also for the decrease in the cost of the surgery, and also I looked at the 5 year outcome results,  and decided, that it was the right decision for me.  I wouldnt change a thing.

ginau
on 11/30/08 12:07 am - mesa, AZ
Dolly

It all depends on you. Your surgeon can help you make the choice. depending on your personal health issue's .  blood pressure,  diabetic ?  etc... 

But there are a lot of options out there, Just an F.Y.I   It's ok to Dr shop .. Your not only picking the Right Surgery - But the right Dr and Plan that goes with it all. make  sure you pick the Dr your most comfortable with .. Because this is a long term commitment.  and bedside manner can make a big differance.  You also want to look at their aftercare ..  Some surgeons you only see for surgery and then never again. Others  make it a point to follow up with their pts .. 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Lori G.
on 12/1/08 1:09 am - Phoenix, AZ
I always suggest to patients to go to the free group consults from different surgeons and listen to the choices and what surgeon you are most comfortable with. The surgery is a personal choice regarding:
weight loss, co-morbidities, general health. There are also differences in the surgery's perfomed, which will depend on your activity level, and length of recovery. I have a checklist that may answer some questions, or there are also some great resources on the OH website regarding the different surgery's which might help clarify for you. If I can answer any clinical questions, please do not hesitate to call or PM.

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

RayM
on 12/1/08 6:02 am - Surprise, AZ
I had a real hard time trying to pick which was better for me.  When I first started looking into it I would not even consider a RNY.  The more I started reading and the more I learned about it I slowly started to think maybe RNY was my best option.  The reason for me was being diabetic.  I thought that if I could get off meds or insulin it would be worth it.  The Lapband does help from what I am reading but the RNY is just better option for people who have it bad.  Since having the RNY 7/14/08 I was off all meds for it in 2 weeks.  I am almost down now 100lbs.  I just feel so much better!
JRinAZ
on 12/1/08 6:22 am - Layton, UT
On December 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM Pacific Time, RayM wrote:
I had a real hard time trying to pick which was better for me.  When I first started looking into it I would not even consider a RNY.  The more I started reading and the more I learned about it I slowly started to think maybe RNY was my best option.  The reason for me was being diabetic.  I thought that if I could get off meds or insulin it would be worth it.  The Lapband does help from what I am reading but the RNY is just better option for people who have it bad.  Since having the RNY 7/14/08 I was off all meds for it in 2 weeks.  I am almost down now 100lbs.  I just feel so much better!
Ray!
You are smokin!!! Woooooo Hooooooooooo and High Fives on the 10 pounds!!!!

Weigh 2 go!!!    Cheerleader Toss 2

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

jschlechty
on 12/1/08 7:49 am - Mesa, AZ

A big part of the decision for me was that I'm diabetic, and have only one kidney.  My kidney function was starting to slide, and my PCP told my that a lot of diabetic RNY'ers are able to significantly decrease or stop their diabetic meds.  With the amount of weight I needed to lose as well as the possibility of stoping the diabetes, I decided to go with the RNY.  Since my surgery, I've been able to stop my insulin and almost all of my diabetic meds.  THe only one left is 1/4 of a Glipizide pill twice a day.  With Ha1c results of 4.7 that I got back yesterday, my doc may have me stop that one as well.

You also have to figure in the risk of more post-surgery complications wit the RNY such as leaks, strictures, twisted bowels, etc. vs the more rapid initial weight loss and possible diabetic benefits.

In the end it's your decison - and I wish you the best of luck whichever path you choose!

flyrep
on 12/1/08 6:07 pm - AZ
Im good with my choice of Ryn. Wouldnt change a thing.

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Most Active