Help! I'm pre op and I am starving

Marcie H.
on 11/26/08 6:40 am - QUEEN CREEK, AZ
RNY on 12/08/08 with
Hi, I am 3 days into my 2 week pre op diet. I am allowed to have protein drinks, broth, V8, SF Jello and SF popsicles.
I am starving!!! the first day I did good but yesterday and today I had to eat a little something about 3-4 in the afternoon. I only eat enough to take the hunger away, but what my concern is, will this keep me from having surgery.  I never really asked the Dr. why we are required to be on this diet 2 weeks prior to surgery....
Any advice will help, but I mostly need to know what I can do to take the hunger away.
Ann M.
on 11/26/08 6:49 am - Peoria, AZ
Marcie, the biggest reason they have you on this diet is to shrink your liver before surgery.  When you eat high protein, low fat, it has a big effect on what your liver looks like.  It's a lot easier to move the liver out of the way if it's smaller.

Another reason is that this diet is getting you ready to change your way of life after surgery.  Start now to eat the things you will be eating after the surgery and cutting out the high fat, high carbs and high calorie foods.  This surgery is only a tool and you need to make the most of the time you have (1st 12 - 18 months) to change your way of eating and thinking.

Good luck on your new journey and be sure to start attending some support groups so you can get answers and help when you need it most.
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Deanne K.
on 11/26/08 8:01 am - Tucson, AZ
It will get better after the 3rd day.  Your body will get used to it and you won't be as hungry.  Try your best to keep on track.  It is very important to do as the Dr. ordered.  It does help with the liver shrinkage that when they do surgery, they have to move it out of the way.  The smaller it is the less problems you can have.

Have a great day tomorrow.
Deanne
Nita S.
on 11/26/08 8:20 am - Avondale, AZ
Did your doctor put a limit on the protein drinks you can have each day?  I found that when I was hungry I had another protein drink and it did not matter how many I had, I kept on drinking them for the first few days and before I knew it I was not at all hungry.  I then went to about 3 drinks a day and tons of water.  The protein really does take the hunger away, so if you are not limited, have a few more protein drinks and see if that helps, then cut back when you get things under control.  You will be very glad that you did, and this surgery is so worth the inconveniences we put up with in the beginning.

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

Most Active