Pureed

azrosebud07
on 11/23/08 6:29 am - Chandler, AZ
Okay everyone - can you think back to what your first pureed foods where and what you enjoyed most during that phase?  I have two more days and would love to hear what you had and what worked well.

Also, the instructions says 1/2 cup - but shouldn't I only be able to handle an ounce right now?

Nita S.
on 11/23/08 8:03 am - Avondale, AZ

HI Jackie,

The thing that helped me the most was fat free refried beans with a little melted cheese on top.  I also took any canned beans that I liked and pureed them in the blender (kidney, cannelloni, white beans...)  I also liked split pea soup in the blender.  Cream of wheat, scrambled eggs, anything that can be put in a blender that you might like.  I think that the 1/2 cup thing is the MAX you should have, never,never,never eat more than you can handle.  If you start to feel full, stop immediately, or you may have a problem.  Remember the hiccup thing, this is going to be a good indicator for you, eat slowly to let your mind get the message to your stomach that you are full.  Good luck

Nita
Revision 11/06/2008

ginau
on 11/23/08 10:11 am - mesa, AZ
Jackie

Cottage cheese. baby food - some was pretty good , Cream of wheat .  beans - taco bell Beans,  yogurt - esp greek kind.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

azrosebud07
on 11/23/08 11:24 am - Chandler, AZ
Thanks!  the beans and cheese sound the best.  I already love beans and cheese.  Now do I still put the refried beans in a blender or add more water to make it less thick?

Also, what is greek yogurt and could you describe what it taste like?? 

Didn't think I'd be so excited to be on pureed, but it brings me one step closer to regular food!

KRISTIN S.
on 11/24/08 1:36 am - AZ
Broccoli and cheddar soup pureed was good too, throw alittle salsa in the beans to add zest

Commitment Day/Pre-op/CURRENT/Goal
248/236/170/150

kkortsen
on 11/24/08 10:33 am - AZ
Jackie,

I mixed cottage cheese with vanilla yogurt.  Yummie!  Oh, and tomato soup made with milk. One warm and one cold.  Hope it helps.

Be well,

Kent

373 Highest weight
357 Surgery weight
180 Current weight
azrosebud07
on 11/24/08 10:04 pm - Chandler, AZ
Thanks everyone!  I appreciate the tips! 

Last night I went ahead and had my first "meal" of beans with cheese - I was almost in tears I was so excited.  Then it was commical since I was taking such baby bites and took a half hour to eat an ounce!  It almost took the joy out of it, I kinda see why some people lose the desire to eat.  I am sure it will be better once I get passed the 6 week mark.  I am still looking forward to trying oatmeal this AM!!

Carol C.
on 11/24/08 10:57 pm - North Hollywood, CA
One of my first meals was pureed egg salad.  I have a food processor and just made my normal egg salad recipe, then threw it in and whipped it until it was smooth.  My stomach tolerated it well, and it had protein. 
Lori G.
on 11/25/08 1:49 am - Phoenix, AZ

Jackie-

Remeber that pureed is the consistency of cottage cheese.  A meal (even though it is an ounce or two) should take approx 20-30 minutes, so those baby bites are exactly what you you be doing.  I suggest that you puree (or pate) everything using a Magic Bullet or a small food processor/food chopper, as if you use a Large Food Processor or blender, it is difficult to manage 1-2 ounces. 

Most proteins can me made into puree.  Egg, ham, chick, turkey, shrimp salads, with any seasoning. It is about consistency, so you can make it as tasty as you want.  Remember never to drink while you eat.  You can also change the flavors of items without calories/carbs/sugars by using the flavoring in the baking section (where you find Vanilla).  Remember just to use a drop or two to flavor cottage cheese, Ricotta Cheese yogurt etc.

If you want more ideas fore recipes, go to the OH forum and check recipes.  You will find a lot on there.  Also, www.bariatriceating.com

Be Creative and enjoy!

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Eggface
on 11/26/08 8:20 am - Sunny Southern, CA
Here's some of the stuff I ate:

http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2007/08/puree d-foods.html

Hope it gives you a few new ideas,
~Michelle

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Most Active