ffinally

mymaize
on 11/20/08 5:09 am - phoenix, AZ
How about that.  I FINALLY have a surgery date.  I have been jumping thru hoops since April.  I have Dr. Juarez as a doc and he really runs you thru the mill.  Besides the info class, we have to go to lapband camp 101,  lapband camp 201,  nutrition 101  and cooking 101.  The last 3 can be taken after surgery tho.  Of course that is not counting the cardiac eval (5 hours) and the pulmon eval and the psych eval and the nutrition eval.

Soooooooooo.  On Dec 19th I will be going to sleepy land and when i wake up, I will be banded.   Whoooooo hoooooo.

Bette M

surgery 12-19-08.  on my way!!
daviab
on 11/20/08 5:49 am
congratulations!!! I am excited for you. You will enjoy being a lab bander. I was banded in July and have no regrets. PM me if you ever need someone to talk to.
mymaize
on 11/20/08 5:51 am - phoenix, AZ
thanks so much.  I heard a lot of good things about Dr. S. but he does not take medicare so I had to go with 2nd best.  I have heard that Dr. Juarez is excellent also.  We will see.

see ya

bette

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/08 6:44 am - AZ
I am sorry but Dr Schlesinger took my medicare. I have health net ruby plan 2. Good Luck.
JRinAZ
on 11/20/08 7:25 am - Layton, UT
Revisions may have different criteria than first surgeries?  I'm pretty sure that Medicare requires a Center of Excellence?  .....  I haven't heard that P.V. has made that status yet...might be wrong but I thought the only Center's of Excellence were Bridges St Luke's and Scottsdale Bariatric.

I'm sure Jen or someone else can give us Mediare details so all who lurk may know?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

(deactivated member)
on 11/20/08 10:29 am - AZ
I bet my insurance company must of screwed up and thought PVH was a center of excellence. I don't want to bother Jen with it because she is off sick. I wonder how long it takes to get center of excellence. Dr Schlesinger is excellent but I won't say anything about PVH.
Lori G.
on 11/20/08 11:33 pm, edited 11/20/08 11:35 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Joyce, you are correct.  Currently, if this is your first surgery, and you are a Medicare recipient, you must have your surgery at a Center of Excellence.  The only two facilities in Arizona are St. Lukes and Scottsdale Healthcare North.  PVH is waiting patiently for COE, but it is a process that is very involved at many different levels.  Lots of work by lots of people, but hopefully it will be soon.  The bariatric team, and our two outstanding surgeons,  have worked hard to achieve the status, so we will continue to work hard to be successful. 

Best Wishes....

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

mymaize
on 11/20/08 3:09 pm - phoenix, AZ
Merry Christmas to me.    Merry Christmas to me.

It will be bitter/sweet.  My son is going to drive to Calif to spend Christmas with my daughter and grandkids.  In the meantime, I will be sitting here alone, drinking my holiday meal!!!

But isn't that great.  I am so excited.  And being retired, I can always take off and go there a few weeks later.

Thanks for your congrats. 

bette

JRinAZ
on 11/20/08 7:17 am - Layton, UT
Yay Bette!!!!  What a fabulous Christmas gift to yourself!!!  Present
You've got a GREAT surgeon with an amazing comprehensive program to go with!!!!  I'll see you at a support group soon....Don't forget they're the 1st Tuesday of the month at 6:00 pm!!!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Deanne K.
on 11/20/08 12:02 pm - Tucson, AZ

Bette,
I am so happy that you got approved and what a blessing just before Christmas.  You will do well and keep trucking along that long road of waiting.  It will go by faster than you realize.

Deanne

Most Active