Moving to Arizona in December

mymaize
on 11/10/08 10:20 pm - phoenix, AZ
Hi.  Phoenix Indian Health Center is where I get my medical care.  It is like a VA.  Since the care is free to Indians, you get a little bit of everything.  You have one H*** of a long drive every day.  Hope you aren't going to work days.
You will find a little bit of bias there.  The Indians tend to be standoffish to the whites.  I worked at county hospital and we had a contract with PIMC to do their ortho care.  We woked 2 half days a week.  The people are really nice but as I said, a little standoffish untill they get to know you.
I don't think you will be driving to Phoenix for much.  It is too far from you unless it is something special like a Suns game or a special at the Dodge theatre. 
Phoenix is very easy to get around.  Central divides it.  To the west of central, everything is avenues.  To the east of central, everything is streets.  But all the outlying towns have their own way to name streets.  You will have to take the freeway and PIMC is not far from the offramp.  The traffic thru Phoenix is a *****

Bette M

surgery 12-19-08.  on my way!!
kimmee2k
on 11/11/08 11:08 am, edited 11/11/08 11:12 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Bette,
Thanks for all the information on PIMC i really do hope i like it there. I have been a peds nurse for over 6 years and I enjoy it. My speciality is vaccinations and i love it. I take pride in what i do and i am very greatful and i feel blessed to be in a position that I feel i am giving something back. i am a giver and i hate to take. that is just me. I am glad i am moving to AZ just overwhelmed. I will hopefully get to meet some of you wonderful people that responded. I am very honored to have you all as my friends here at OH.
Thanks again,
Kim
Skylark
on 11/10/08 11:28 pm - Tucson, AZ
Hi Kim!
I live FAR south of you in Oro Valley (just north of Tucson), but I wanted to welcome you and tell you the GREAT thing about AZ---perpetual sunshine! I lived in Tacoma for 2 years and went crazy from the weather.  You can go walking/running/hiking almost every day, except in the summer months--treadmill and swim season!  I found the sunshine to really lift my mood and give me energy.
Laurie C.
Dr. Chiasson
RNY scheduled for Jan. 14, 2009
kimmee2k
on 11/11/08 11:00 am, edited 11/11/08 11:29 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi laurie,
thank-you so much for the welcome, it is greatly appreciated. I am scared but the unknown is always scary. Take Care and again, thank-you,
Kim
Lori G.
on 11/10/08 11:36 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Welcome Kim.  There are several support groups throughout the valley.  If you are looking for one close to downtown, I lead one on the first and third Wednesday of the month for Dr. Steven Simon.  His office is 333 E. Osborn Road Suite 350 from 6:30pm-8:00pm.  Our next meeting is 11/19 and we are having a "protein party".  If you have any questions, please let me know.

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

kimmee2k
on 11/11/08 11:03 am - Phoenix, AZ
thanks Laurie,
I will print out all this information so i will have it when i get there and I will be contacting you as soon as i can find my way around. I do have a navigation system and i will be relying on this thing like you would not believe.
Thanks again,
Kim
Ann M.
on 11/11/08 7:01 am - Peoria, AZ
Kimmee, you might want to do a test drive when you get here to get the timing of your drive.  16th Street is quite a ways from Litchfield Park.  I am in the Sun City area and may be driving to 30th St. & E. Camelback.  We drove it Sunday with no traffic and it took 40 minutes to go 13 miles because there's no good way to get there from my house except to go down Grand and then E. on Camelback.  You might be able to hop on the 10 and go to downtown that way but be prepared for a LOT of traffic and be sure you have an alternate route in case they close the freeway lanes down for an accident.  That sure throws a monkeywrench into the drive time.

My housesitter lives in Litchfield Park and I know it takes her a while to get up to my house here. 

Welcome to the West Valley.  I hope to see you at one of the support group meetings.

Ann
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
kimmee2k
on 11/11/08 10:57 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Ann,
i am truely worried about this traffic. Where i live in WA i tackle traffic but I am used to it here so no big deal but because i dont know phoenix i will have to get used to it. I hope and pray all will be well. I am so worried and scared but this is normal to the unknown.
Thanks again,
Kim
desert rat
on 11/11/08 10:23 am - Goodyear, AZ
Hi Kim,

I live west of Litchfield Park and I work at 11th Street in downtown Phoenix, so my drive is similar to the one you will be tackling everyday.  The traffic is crazy & if you don't have a carpool buddy, I'd recommend the express bus.  It picks up within a couple of miles of Litchfield Park and on the way to Phoenix, so it is highly doable as long as you work "normal" hours.  If you don't work normal hours, the rush hour traffic is no longer a problem.  The freeway is currently under construction but it won't be done for another year or so but once done, it's supposed to be three regular lanes and a carpool lane as opposed to the two lanes we currently have.

Litchfield Park is a beautiful area, so don't worry about that, it's just a bit far from your work.  I wouldn't live this far from work if I didn't have to...

As for support groups; we have a great support group on the west side.  As was already said, we meet twice a month on Saturday mornings.  I'll be happy to give you details when you get closer.  The group is open to everyone regardless of surgery type, surgeon, gender or any other thing that might exclude others...we don't!

Good luck with you BA, take it easy on your trip and WELCOME to AZ!
Dj
 Pre-Op 316.  Currently 134.  Goal was 135 but I'm ecstatic.
kimmee2k
on 11/11/08 10:49 am, edited 11/11/08 11:11 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hi Dj,
thanks for the information. Because i didnt know the area well i tried to stay where people recommended me to for nicer areas that would be safe for me and the kids until my husband can join us later. We are military. I dont know if i like the sound of this traffic. But i will try and leave an hour early if time allows for my kids and school.. The first day will be a killer since i dont know my way around and i am hoping we get there a little early so i can do a test run a day or so before. but if not in the traffic it wont matter because no traffic. I am not looking forward to this but i have to do what i gotta do. Again thanks for the information and hope to meet you.
Kim
Most Active