Im having surgery!!

mrs.farmer
on 11/8/08 9:25 am

I have all my pre req's done and have my date scheduled I need some advise as to what to take to the hospital....  I am going to be about 45 mins away from home so I can't have someone just  run home.  What was in your overnight bag???/  How did you feel the first 3 days following sx?  Please help I am very nervous!

Gena L.
on 11/8/08 12:24 pm - Sun City, AZ
I had my RNY on April 3rd of this year. Had an appendectomy 2 1/2 weeks ago.  I took my chap stick and a hair brush, both times. The hospital will furnish you personal wipes and Bear Paw booties with grips on the bottom. They prefer those to bringing your own slippers as the traction is better.  Bring something loose and baggy....no elastic at waist line to wear home. I took a book but I would be very surprised if tou read it as the anesthesia will make you so groggy plus the morphine for pain control. You can take a toothbrush and paste or they will supply those also. The less you take the easier discharge will be. I took my own bed pillow but would not do so again.

Good luck!

mrs.farmer
on 11/9/08 10:03 am
Thanks so much for your reply!!
Lori G.
on 11/10/08 2:56 am, edited 11/10/08 2:56 am - Phoenix, AZ
When I conduct pre-op education class, I suggest to patients that they bring the following:
- pj's...even though the hospital has gowns, having pj's or shorts to put on (or at least a robe) gives you more dignity as you are walking your laps around the nursing unit, without wondering about what is hanging out of your gown

- slip on shoes ( like Croc's). slippers, etc with good traction.  Slipper socks are good and PVH gives them to patients, but they do not fit as well as other items you might like better

- leave all valuables at home so they do not get lost or misplaced

- Toiletries that you are fond of, as they hospital has the standards

- something to keep you occupies in-between walking, breathing, coughing and little naps

- clothes to return home in

Best Wishes with your new life transition...

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

flyrep
on 11/10/08 4:46 pm - AZ

You know I spent as much time in the hospital as I could pay for. Nothing helped. I mean it. Nothing is better then your own bed. I did bring a DVD player and that helped. I loved the warm showered when I was able to take them. No reading. Nothing but rest while you are there.

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Most Active