Non Scale Victory / Breast Cancer Walk

Garys
on 11/8/08 3:41 am, edited 11/8/08 4:03 am - Mesa, AZ

Today, I completed one of my fitness goals while working for a Good Cause.

This morning, the wife and I completed the Breast Cancer walk in Tempe at the Town lake.

The walk was 3 and a half miles up and down hills around the lake. A year ago, I had trouble  walking 300 feet. Today, I hardly broke a sweat.

I wanted to do the walk for many different reasons. One, my boss is a a Breast Cancer survivor and I wanted to go to support her. There were so many people there that I managed to miss her in the crowds.  We chatted on the phone afterwards and she is amazed that I completed the walk. She has watched my progress at work both pre and  post surgery and has been very supportive of my battle to regain my heath. She know what it is like, especially after winning her own personal battle.

Second, I needed to set fitness goals for myself to keep myself challenged in my WLS journey and this seemed like a good one. 

I did carry my cane with me and use it for a good part of the walk, even though most days lately I go without it at work. Next year, the cane should be nowhere in sight.

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

Ann M.
on 11/8/08 4:00 am - Peoria, AZ
Way to go Gary.  What a great goal.  It's wonderful that you not only met your personal fitness goal but you helped raise awareness about breast cancer. 
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
ginau
on 11/8/08 4:18 am - mesa, AZ

Gary

Congratulations !!!  that is a great milestone to achieve !  I would have loved to have been at that walk. It's a wonderful cause your helping.   So what is next for you?

I hope we will see you and Teresa at next week's support group?

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Garys
on 11/8/08 11:48 am - Mesa, AZ
Right now I am training for a indoor triathalon at the YMCA.

They had one at my local this week. I was not able to attend because it was during work hours.

It is rowing 1000 yards on a rowing machine.
Followed by 5 miles on a stationary bike
with a two mile treadmill finale.

I will only be competing against myself in this, I am not going for time at least the first time around.

My goal is to complete all 3 events in under two hours.  I have done the events individually on several occasions but never all three back to back without break.

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

JRinAZ
on 11/8/08 2:03 pm - Layton, UT
Gary!
You Are The Man

Wegih 2 go Dude!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Deanne K.
on 11/10/08 7:50 am - Tucson, AZ
Gary,
Way to go!  I am so happy for you.  It's such a joy to see how well you are doing.  You are an inspiration to most of us here.  Keep up the good work.
flyrep
on 11/10/08 4:52 pm - AZ

WONDERFUL NEWS! IM PROUD OF YOU!!!!

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

Most Active