UTI......?

klyn13jwl
on 10/24/08 1:25 am - Lakeside, AZ
I'm sorta having a small problem.....Monday, when I got home to Lakeside, after seeing Dr. Juarez, I went in to use the bathroom....what I fricking surprise for me!  It felt like I was peeing glass!  Not good, especially since I have polycystic kidney disease.  I immediately called my Dr. and went directly to his office.  Yep....I had a UTI.  Not good.  The next stop on this infectious road trip is my kidneys.  I cannot get a kidney infection......we're talking 3 days in the hospital on an IV antibiotic not to mention fever and peeing blood.....not reddish COLORED urine....blood!  My Dr. put me on Cipro ...on Monday.  Here it is Friday and I have a screaming yeast infection, my kidneys are aching and my urine is cloudy!  Yes, I know......sip, sip,sip.........I have been, to an extent.  A girl can only sip so much water.........and for some odd reason, I am not liking the usual Crystal Light that I have been drinking for years....go figure!  My question for you ....are UTI's uncommon for WLS recipients?

Thanks,

Kellyn  :)

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
Lori G.
on 10/24/08 1:34 am - Phoenix, AZ
UTI's are symptomatic of dehydration and lack of fluid intake.  It is so important to drink the 64oz of HYDRATING fluids per day.  This will decrease you chance of UTI's and also hydrate the rest of your body, that so needs fluids! For the yeast infection, you may want to eat more yogurt, or get over the counter probioitcs 1billion/capsule.  This will help neuatralize the flora in your digestive tract and get you back in order. 
It is so important to sip,sip, sip.  1oz/5 minutes or 12oz/hour or 64oz in 5 hours

Hang in there! 

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

ginau
on 10/24/08 3:04 am - mesa, AZ
Damn Laurie - Your good !!!!  Yogurt  helped me .. 

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Nicole W.
on 10/28/08 4:26 pm - Cave Creek, AZ

I am not sure of the correalation of UTI's and WLS... wouldn't surprise me since we get dehydrated fast.  But this past year I have suffered 4 and I was concerned because I haven't had 4 in the last 15 years!  I had a mild bladder infection that turned into a major kidney infection about 10 years ago  and it sucked!  So, I am always very very aware... 

just make sure you are getting plenty of water I gauge my water intake by my urine color and just way the way my hands feel.  If my rings are falling off... plenty of water.  they are tight... not enough. 

Do you take that medication that helps the pain go away... turns your pee a beautiful orange color?  That helped me a great deal. 

Take your antibiotics with yogurt, it's better for your pouch... or for me anyway!

~Nicole

TinkerBell

klyn13jwl
on 10/29/08 4:19 am - Lakeside, AZ
Thanks Lori & Nichole............lots of info.  This is why I just love this place.....    I particularly like the bit about the rings....very helpful.......and ,No, Nichole, I threw the Pyridium.....or what ever it was called away....I need to see if my urine is changing colors........that drug, I did not like    .  I have taken it before and had no problems.........lately.........I just seem so fricken fickle!  Go figure.  Now I have a cold and I feel like crap.........am I ever going to feel good again?  It just seems like it's one thing after another......  .

Well....have a great day ladies and thanks for the replies.

Kellyn  :)

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
Most Active