Surgery in 10 days, input wanted

Dan T.
on 10/17/08 2:42 am - Logan, UT
So I am extremely excited that my surgery is just around the corner.  I am having RNY at the Scottsdale Hospital Shea and wanted to know if anyone else had their surgery there and what the experience was like.  Also any good tips on what to bring and what not to bring.

thanks
Dan
JRinAZ
on 10/17/08 2:54 am - Layton, UT
Dan,
Take chapstick!!!   Small pillow to hold tightly when sneezing or coughing...
Lotion so your sweetie can rub your feet

Wooo Hoooo!  You're almost a LOSER!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ScottAZ
on 10/17/08 3:33 am - Charleston, WV
Dan,

Congratulations on the upcoming surgery.  It was the best thing I ever did..  Take some comfy shorts or sweat pants  that is about the only thing i took besides the toothbrush.  If you need anything bud hit me up..

Scott

Nov 2007 start 6 month diet at 380 lbs 

ginau
on 10/17/08 3:39 am - mesa, AZ
My original surgery was there,  great care !! you will be in a recliner from 6a.m. -  midnight. if you have a seat cushion - you might want to bring it , also  chap stick and slippers..  as you will be up walking around.  a good book is also welcome - honestly the first day I was so out of it  I just sat and smiled !! (  Morphine Pca - a girls best friend !!!!

leave valuables at home ....  bring loose clothes  to go home in .

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

beckipoohbear
on 10/18/08 2:04 am - AZ
 My experience was great at Scottsdale Shea and Dr. Sprunger was fantastic.  The only downside to my experience was that one of my nighttime nurse's aides was very cranky, otherwise everybody else was fantastic.  I brought slippers that I wore in and out of the hospital but never used them for walking the halls, its all carpeted so I just went in stocking feet.  The best thing I purchased was a short sleeve robe for walking the halls, the short sleeves make it easier for your IV to go through and then I didn't have to worry about anything hanging out.  They would have given me another gown to wear backwards but this was more comfortable.  Everybody said to bring chapstick and so I did but I didn't use it once, I think that's cause they bring us water almost right away.  You will get really sick of the "Calm" flavored tea that they bring with each meal and I found at when it was time to leave I could have asked for different flavors at the water and ice station.  It was also really great having my sister stay with me at the hospital (there is a bench in the room she slept on) because I didn't have to rely on the nurses to get up to go to the bathroom (once that wonderful catheter was out) or to walk.  I also learned that you have to push the call button really, really hard or it doesn't actually call.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.  Let me know if you have any other questions.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Most Active