Embarrassed in AZ.....

klyn13jwl
on 10/11/08 11:58 pm - Lakeside, AZ
Hi  All......

Please, please except my apology.....I wasn't quite myself.  I guess that I thought I was Superwoman to think that I could be released, drive in an uncomfortable position for 3 1/2 hours, & come home and check my e-mail.  That alone, was a tremendous task.  Sitting here now, is still quite a task.  Joyce you were right when you stated,
 "Some of us consider the hospital time as a time for "healing" and not all folks even like visitors when they've got their backside hanging out and their pain level higher than normal.  ....  Believe me, you are wished the very best!"

I didn't reallly want the visitors....My husband was sleeping there with me, my Dad & his wife and my sister were in the Valley, so I was getting a lot of attention from them.... I was just....upset.......cuz......I COULDN'T FART!!!  They were telling me that I had to fart (pass gas) in order to go home.  I started walking five hours after surgery.  I couldn't believe it when they were telling me that staying may be a possibility.    But, low and behold, they let me go and about 30 miles from Show Low....I FARTED!!!!  Going straight home and getting on the puter was not a wise idea....please excuse my crazy outbursts.  

Next problem....My left side is hurting ....still.  I know it's only been a week since surgery, but it's hard to roll over in bed, get out of chairs and getting off the pot is no picnic either.    I hope that I haven't busted a stitch or pushed out a staple.....or whatever .  Eating (and drinking) is very hard.  My Mom from NM has been staying here taking care of me and cleaning my house...since I don't seem to be able to have kept it clean on my own.  She makes sure that I am taking my meds and eating.  My urine has been brown.  I know that I need to sip...sip...sip more fluids...especially since I have a kidney disease.

Any help on the pain and fluids would be helpful.

Once again, please forgive me.  

Kellyn  :) 

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 10/12/08 12:44 am - Tucson, AZ
I found it easier to get my water in by using a sippy cup and I preferred the water ice cold.  Everyone is different so do it the way you like it.  But try the sippy cup.  That will help you take smaller sips and it won't upset your new tummy.  Take your pain meds.  Don't be a hero.  Walk a little as a time.  This might help the pain in your side.  It will get better soon.  The first week is the worst.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

amanda L.
on 10/12/08 2:59 am - Florence, AZ
I am almost 4 weeks out  and I still find that I feel horrible and I still cant take fluids very well, im not in pain I just feel sick. AI stopped takingg my pain medican the day I left the hospital. I stil cant eat well either, I KNOW YOUR PAIN:)
klyn13jwl
on 10/14/08 6:39 am - Lakeside, AZ
Hi Amanda....

Sorry that I didn't get back with you sooner....my problem is the pain....off to the left of my bellybutton.  Someone asked me today "when are you due"?  OMG!!  That just goes to show how swollen I am.  1 week after surgery.  I really AM hoping that all this is normal.    Last time that I had surgery (a little over a year ago) they kept telling me that all that I was going through was normal.....2 months later I was in Gilbert Mercy with my insides infected!  It just kinda scares me when it hurts so much.  I'm outta the liquid pain medication, too.  What's a girl to do?  I AM trying to get my liquids in, Joyce....I carry a water bottle around with me...and thank you, both- Lori and Joyce for the words of encouragement and wise instructions. 

Kellyn  :)

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
JRinAZ
on 10/12/08 4:40 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Amanda and Kellyn!

Time.......just give it some more Time!!!  The left side pain is typical and bothers some more than others.....I'll bet you've got a big 'ol tall bottle of liquid Lortab to take for times when it is making you miserable.  Take it!  .....  That nasty colored urine is screaming at you to push the water!!!  ....  Some people have issues with water early out.  I felt like there was a metallic taste that made me nauteous. .... some water tips:  A slice of fresh cucumber in your water helps with the Ph balance/flavor....the old lemon or lime slice helps.....drinking it room temp helps those who get restriction "pinches" when they swallow icey cold water.....sipping some warm/hot herbal tea or broth BEFORE sipping your water often calm the angry tummy down a bit; relaxes the muscles of and around the pouch. 

My plan from the start:  I set out 6 water bottles in the morning and I couldn't have Crystal Light or anything else until those 6 water bottles were down the hatch.  I preferred room temp water then.  Have the water bottle in your hands at all times.  The only time it should be ditched is while you're eating and 30 minutes after you eat....otherwise, it should be glued to your hand......and not far away from the mouth!  Experiment with Crystal Light flavors....I found that the "non citrussy" based flavors kept my tummy happier than like a lemonade flavor.    Everyone is different though.

Amanda....even though your are 4 weeks out....you still might have healing going on in the inside.  Dr. Simon patient, right?  Then you have the ring to irritate things a bit more than the rest of us.....That back up from the ring can really cause some nausea.  What does Doc Simon suggest?  Or Lori G at P.V.?

We each turn a corner into restorred energy and into painless days sometime....just different for everyone.  If not....then.....keep in touch with your docs and get some help!

Kellyn, sweetie pie....no worries on your post.  You had some expectations that weren't met and the post op trauma all at the same time.  I'm glad you're back on here posting and that YOU forgave us!!!!  I "angel" someone every now and then and always try and peek in on them while they're in the hospital "if" they feel up to visitors.  .....  I promise that if you come back down here for a post-op check and I can get away from work then I will meet you somewhere and we can chat and sip a bottle of water together!  Just let me know!

Hang in there girlies!  Your joyful journey has oodles of fun yet ahead and we want to share all of your happy's (and crazies) with you along the way!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

mymaize
on 10/12/08 12:48 pm - phoenix, AZ
I haven't had surgery yet but when I was a nurse in the hospital, I used one trick for the elderly patients that did not have a thirst after surgery.  I would tell them to take a few sips of water EVERY TIME a set of commercials came on.  Which is about every 7 minutes.  You would be surprised at how much you can get in that way. 

I also used the same "timer" for taking deep breaths to prevent pneumonia.  And I Never had a single patient get post op pneumonia.

bette m

surgery 12-19-08.  on my way!!
Lori G.
on 10/14/08 1:33 am - Phoenix, AZ
Make sure that you get your 64oz of hydrating fluids in/day.  That consists of anything that does not have caffeine....water, crystal light, Dasani, Propeil, broth, decaf tea, Isopure,etc.  The number one reason we see patients back in the hospital is for dehydration.  Concentrate on sipping approx 1oz every 5-10 minutes or 6-8oz/hour.  If you do this during your daytime hours then it will take approx 8 hours for you to consume your 64oz/day.   You have to be conscientious about getting the fluids in, because if you do not, then nothing else matters.  Dehydration will cause you to feel lethargic and not wanting to do anything.  Also, make sure you are getting your protein in, and most patients are back on their vitamins within 7-10days post op. 
If you are having any signs of pain, take Gel-caps to help ease the feeling.  Also, remember to walk, and deep breathe.......this is very important post op to avoid any complications.

Lori G., BS, RN-C, CBN
Certified Bariatric Nurse & Service Line Coordinator
Certified Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Bariatric Clinical Educator for Paradise Valley Hospital 
602-923-5612  [email protected]                                       
RNYGB 8/2003 (maintained 170# weight loss)

Most Active