Well, my life is in turmoil again!!

motorhomemama
on 10/6/08 11:09 am - Okotoks, Canada
Haven't  posted for a few days.  I was all packed and set to leave for Arizona last Wednesday .  Thurday morning I got a call from a clinic in Edmonton , AB telling me they could do my surgey before Christmas.  ( very interesting as they had told me the day before it would be a three year wait!!)  As I had to have a letter from this clinic for funding in AZ, I had to stay until Tuesday and see their physician.  Wonder if the sudden availabilty had anything to do with my appearance on television re: the difficulty of getting gastric surgery in Alberta????  You think??
They said they will do me so there goes my funding for AZ and I am now scheduled for Lap band, tather than bypass, in Alberta in December.
Needless to say,I am an emotional wreck.  I was all prepped and primed to go for my bypass in Scottsdale and now I have to get used to the idea of band instead and a new clinic with a doctor and staff I do not know.  What a let down!!  Not the least irritation is that I am stuck in Canada for most of the winter.
Well, I guess financially it makes sense as the surgery in AZ was going to be expensive and if I had had complications the extra costs could have bankrupted me but.....
Anyhow I am still going to need all the support I can get.  The program up here doesn't have a patient support group yet and I really will need the encouragement and people to talk to. 

Love to you all and thanks for taking this journey with me.  Eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
Ann M.
on 10/6/08 1:20 pm - Peoria, AZ
Eydie, check with [email protected] and start your own group.  It's not that hard to become an OH support group leader but it is well worth it.  I'm sure there's others in your area that you could get to join your group.  Just put an ad in the paper, put up flyers and if they have a community calendar on the tv or radio, put it on there.  When I was in Michigan, there was no group in my area (there was one but it was for specific doctor's patients) so I started my own.  I needed to be accountable to somebody other than me and this was the best way to do it. 
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
(deactivated member)
on 10/6/08 4:04 pm - AZ

Eydie,

The way to go is to train as a OH Group Leader. That is what I am doing at this time. Ann is right that you are not just accountable for yourself but others. I had my original gastic bypass in 1997 and had my revision to a entended rny. I have learned a ton of stuff since 1997 but I still am learning a ton of stuff since I had my revision on July 2.2008. You can learn alot from reading all the post. I wish you nothing but the best in your new journey.

Dawn

ginau
on 10/6/08 11:54 pm - mesa, AZ
Yo Momma

Turmoil ??   I would think you would be elated,,, jumping for joy !!!    you will be in the comfort of your own home , able to transition  easier  with foods that are normal to you , closer access to a Dr if something should go wrong! I know you have mixed emotions  about a band - but your going to do great .. I can tell !
Not  on a long road when the Sharks attack - Long story on that one. 

Plus the money you save  on surgery - you get a new wardrobe in a yrs time - and wearing it proudly on your next visit  to the Valley of the Sun

Now about Support - I am sure there are many groups in canada - if not  Start your own - We will be happy to help you ..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

JRinAZ
on 10/7/08 1:29 am - Layton, UT
Jeanna!

I just LOVE a gal who makes Lemonade!  You my friend find the "happy" in a moment!  ......I picture you dancing with the wee animals in the forrest while you sing and twirl your princess dress!  .....  Be very careful though....Wolves often lurk in "Prince Charming" attire!!!  LOL!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 10/7/08 5:40 am - mesa, AZ
Wolves or a sly FOX ???

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active