RNY for the over 50 crowd

motorhomemama
on 9/28/08 9:13 am - Okotoks, Canada
I am 1 month from surgery and all of a sudden everyone is telling me it is too dangerous to have RNY after 50.  I am 58 and really think this surgery would be best for me . 

any of you out there had surgery when you vwer over 50 and how did it go?
Thanks Eydie
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
Gena L.
on 9/28/08 9:24 am - Sun City, AZ
I was 61 when I had mine done...actually closer to 62. I did not have a easy recovery and will be 6 months out on the 3rd. But my problems had nothing to do with the surgery so to speak. Just nausea, vomiting and we think that has been caused by my intolerance of most powdered protein and possibly the vitamens I was using. Dehydration was never a problem for me until the surgery tho. I have been in ER 3 times but there are easy ways to avoid that I have found, it is a difficult situation, taking in so little fluids after surgery and living where it is so hot and dry.   Believe me surgeon's would not be doing this surgery on patients over the age of 50 if it were that dangerous and most people I know who have had the surgery  have been in that age group. You are going to hear all sorts of scary stories just before surgery. Some people delight in telling every surgical horror story they have heard. Take them with a grain of salt. You have to decide what is best for you.  Good luck to you!

Gena

motorhomemama
on 9/28/08 9:11 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Thanks Gena.  I have been reading your posts for a while and I know you have had a rough time recovering.  The fact that you still think it was worth while is one of the things that encourages me to go ahead with this.  I'll keep you posted as to how things are going for me.  Thanks again
Eydie
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 9/28/08 11:06 am - Tucson, AZ
Eydie

I was almost 54 when I had Lap RNY and I have had no problems at all to complain about.  At least nothing that I couldn't deal with.  Go for it girl.
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

motorhomemama
on 9/28/08 12:35 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Thanks for all the encouragement everyone..I am going to do it for sure.  I really feel it is the right thing for me.  Love you all!! Eydie
Ann M.
on 9/29/08 1:56 am - Peoria, AZ
I was 55 when I had the surgery and it was the best thing I ever did for myself.  I gave myself many more happy, healthy years than I would have had if I'd kept on the way I was going. 
Certified OH Support Group Leader

Bariatric University - Bariatric Coach
Most Active