Back To The Hospital

AzViper
on 9/4/08 12:53 am, edited 9/4/08 5:02 am - AZ
Well my adventure continues. After receiving a new port I am happy to say it appears to be holding the saline, and no more leaks, but I had to return to the hospital on Wednesday. After taking two doses of Cephalexin I found out I was having a reaction to this drug. I was at motor vehicle when this drug took over. I had a hard time breathing, was dizzy, my vision was blurry, blood pressure went through the roof, and my throat had close shut.

A call to Walgreens and the pharmacist told me to stop taking the drug and call 911 immediately. Once at the hospital I had a group of RN’s and Doctors around me. Next thing I knew I was in a room with another patient who just happen to be patient of Dr. Schwartz as well. She had surgery the day before and was having complications. I had asked if she had Lap Band installed and she said no. News to me that Dr. Schwartz does other surgeries outside of weight loss surgery even though all his commercials lead you to believe this is the only thing he does. How can he find the time to do anything else…

I am still feeling rather weird after the reaction to Cephalexin and the blotchy red spots still cover my face. My breathing and eyesight appear to be normal and my blood pressure is back to 110/67. What’s odd is I know I have had Cephalexin before and now it’s a drug I can never use again for infections. This drug was given to me to control any infections after having the port replaced.

Gwynn M.
on 9/4/08 3:47 am - Tucson, AZ

Dear AZVIPER.......THAT is pretty darn scary!  I hope you are feeling better by now???  Did they give you some other meds instead of what caused this horrible reaction???   Dang.  Crazy.

Hope it works out for you.....soon!

Gwynn

AzViper
on 9/4/08 5:17 am, edited 9/4/08 5:19 am - AZ
Still not feeling like me but I think I am on the road to recovery. Yes I am now on a different antibiotic drug that appears to be working.

Yep thats me two weeks before my surgery.
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 9/4/08 8:53 am - Tucson, AZ
I am happy to hear that things are working out for you this time.  I too had a reaction to medication after surgery and I too had taken it before surgery.  Now we need to see a photo of you as you are today~
Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

AzViper
on 9/5/08 6:01 am - AZ
No to the updated photo until I reach my goal. Gives me something to look forward too... But I will tell you I have dropped 6 inches in the waist and my face in much thinner.

Keith

L. TP
on 9/5/08 2:42 am
WOW.  You really have had a run of this.  It will get better though...hang on! 
AzViper
on 9/5/08 5:56 am, edited 9/5/08 6:48 am - AZ
On September 5, 2008 at 9:42 AM Pacific Time, L. TP wrote:   WOW.  You really have had a run of this.  It will get better though...hang on! 

YES I HAVE.... I see that you are making huge gains as well. I hope all is well for you and that you continue to reach for your goal. How is your sister doing?   Keith

Deanne K.
on 9/5/08 7:04 am - Tucson, AZ
Keith,
I had a reaction to the pre-antibiotic Levoquin when they were wheeling me into the OR, they had to stop it as I developed hives.  I had taken that drug before too.
Deanne
Melanie Watson
on 9/16/08 1:58 pm - AZ
Hang in there, my complication story goes like this ...
I noticed a "bruise" on my left  incision when I was taking a shower getting ready to go home. Long story short, I left on Thurs and went back to the er on sat for what I thought was flu like symptoms only to find out that I had a "reaction" to the blood thinners they were pumping into me and I was hemmoragging and I had a tummy full of blood. In 48 hrs my "bruise" extended from under my left arm pit area (on my upper tire) all the way over to my right incision. Needless to say my blood count had dropped so much that I had to have 2 blood transfusions and was stuck in a room with a women who's only words were "yup yup" for a whole week. Dr. Schwartz told me that out of all of his surgeries this has only happened once before. The funny part is, this that person is a class mate of my co-worker.

Much luck to you. For me, I've been finding the humor in all of this and I figure God's not through with me yet. He is just having fun with me.
Mello
"The worst is over and the best is yet to come!"

Banded 08/06/08
Most Active