dislike protien alone and worried

azrosebud07
on 8/26/08 1:26 pm - Chandler, AZ
Hello,  I am in the process of getting approved for Surgery with Dr. S at  AZWL Solutions.  Do any of you not cae for protein very much and still do well with the bypass?  I've tried doing low-carb diets many times in the past but could never get past 5-7 days because I'd get so sick of just eating protein and veggies without any carbs.  I like protein mixed in with my meals, but I really get sick of eating just plain meat.  Has anone else been the same way but did okay with the new eating style?  I am not sure how far out you can add in some carbs, but I am a little worried about that.... please offer some insight.....  with the surgery I understand you don't really get too hungery so does the urge to eat carbs go away???

I am located in Chandler and I look forward to getting to know my fellow loosers.

Warm regards,

Jackie
TonnaMarie
on 8/26/08 3:07 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Hi, I had surgery 4 years ago and depending on the person most of the time protein feels really heavy in the stomach. The only problem I had was lose of energy. As long as you don't mind different methods of protein like peanut butter, beans, supplement shakes and bars you will be okay without eating meat. I did find a waffer bar that reminds me of a Nutty Butty Bar it tastes great and was made for Gastrobypass patients in mind. Its really low in Carbs, sugar & fat. High in Protein. They also make a pudding that taste like Jello putting that is high in protein to help with the protein requirements. I have found all these at different vitamin stores just be careful not to assume its all nasty. Most of the time its the brand. Be sure to try the same things in different brands before you decide you dont like it.
ginau
on 8/26/08 11:12 pm - mesa, AZ
Jackie

You have so many options available to you . Too bad you missed the Chandler group tonight. I had some samples of Matrix and Nectar protein powders.  also our group went over lots of good information. Hope to meet you there some time. Or even up at Dr S  group meetings .

Dont worry your in for a life changing ride of your life.

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

azrosebud07
on 8/27/08 11:58 am - Chandler, AZ
Thanks so much for the response.  I kept going back and forth between doing the bypass or the lapband, but I've finaly decided to go for the lapband.   I am crossing my fingers I get approved and am able to have the surgery very soon.  I have UHC and have heard they are pretty easy to get approved through.

Everyone is right, Jenn is very helpful and nice and so far I've just chatted with her on the phone several times. 

I do plan on coming to the Chandler group at some point, if it works out with my schedule I'll try to come to the next one.

Looking forward to meetig you all!

Jackie
JRinAZ
on 8/28/08 12:31 am - Layton, UT

HEy there Jackie!

I'm crossing all fingers and toes that you'll get your approval too!!!  I'd love to have you join us at the Chandler group (4th Tuesday of every month from 6 to 7:30).....BUT....don't wait til then to mix, mingle and dive into support! 

Join us all at the O.H. event on the 19th-20th!  Since you will officially be a Chandler memeber, then just use the promo code:  Plastow08 for the very lowest ticket price!

Good luck with all and keep us posted!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

killian4359
on 8/28/08 2:12 am - tucson, AZ
Hi

Where do you get your fruity protein shakes...I am 6 days pre surgery and doing the protein that I got from fry's it's got like 14 grams of protein....where can u buy it without going online...I am already sick of the taste...and would you know how to find a support group in the tucson area, I have tried finding one on this site but can't figure out how to do it...Thanks...Kathy
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/28/08 3:23 am - Tucson, AZ

Dr. Blackstone Support Group in Tucson is the 1st Saturday of the month to be held at Sherton on Grant Road from 10:00-11:30.  The is for SBC patients only.

St. Joseph's is the last Saturday of the month at St. Joseph's Auditorium from 10:00-12:00 open to everyone.

Tucson NOAG is Last Thursday of the Month at 7:00 at UMC Rm. 5408, open to all.  

---- NorthWest meeting 7-8:30 PM each 3rd Monday of the month at the Northwest Medical Center Classrooms A-D 6200 N LaCholla Blvd. Classrooms are off the main lobby behind the cafeteria. New attendees in classroom D at 6:30 PM.
---- Eastside meeting 7-8:30 PM on the first Tuesday of each month at Evangelical Covenant Church, 551 N. Camino Seco, between Broadway and Speedway, on the West side of the street. As always new attendees will be at 6:30.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

killian4359
on 8/28/08 4:04 am - tucson, AZ
So is the meeting at NW for anyone to attend...that one is the closest to where I live and the best time...Thanks, Kathy
Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 8/28/08 5:33 am - Tucson, AZ

Kathy

Yes it is.  If you are new you may have to go half hour earlier to get your newbie briefing.   You can also become a member online at  http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/TUSWLS/.  Introduce yourself and ask questions.  This is the local Tucson Yahoo group.

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

killian4359
on 8/28/08 2:07 am - tucson, AZ
Hi...I am having my Lapband procedure on Tuesday Sept 2 at Paradise Valley with Dr. Simon...I am of course really excited, but anxious at the same time...how do you feel with in the first few days, can the lapband be felt internally, I would appreciate any input I can get ....Thanks..Kathy
Most Active