Looking for support

k9ermit
on 8/17/08 1:53 am

I was schedule for RNY surgery on in late july.  I got to the area where they prep you for surgery  and I can stop crying.  I cry and cry they decide I not to let me go through with it as I must not be in the right frame of mind. I am sent home, I cry for three days.  It took me three years to get my insurance to approve this surgery.  I don't understand what happened.

The sent me to a counselor and put me back on the surger schedule for early september.  This weekend I have had stressful dreams about the surgery.  I am trying to figure out if this is just a a fear of surgery or is my intuition telling me not to do this.  I really want the weight off my body I just feel so much anxiety around the surgery. 

Did anyone else go through anything like this and what helped?

I am 3 1/2 months  out of a RNY  I have been expierencing dizziness for about 3 hours.  I have met my water intake, and do not not feel like I have an ear infection.  Just wondering if this is related to the surgery in any way.

liveinphx
on 8/17/08 3:03 am - Phoenix, AZ
Surgery is a scary thing. I am not sure if you went to the counselor they recommended but that might be helpful in sorting things out about and help you come to terms  with the surgery.
I know it helped me to talk out my fears. I did this both with my therapist as well as with a person I go to for spiritual direction. The spiritual director was great help in sifting through the intuition part.
ginau
on 8/17/08 4:20 am - mesa, AZ

Can I ask who is your Dr?   did you have a psych eval prior to  surgery ?   Something here your not saying ...

Everyone should be nervous and scared , very normal  feelings to have before a surgery. But  if you have complate faith adn trust  in your dr and  YOURSELF you should do fine.  Who went with you to the surgery ? is this a good support person ?

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Garys
on 8/17/08 5:58 am, edited 8/17/08 6:00 am - Mesa, AZ

Kermit,

Since there is no information in your profile it may be kind of hard to address some of these issues but i will give it a shot.

Hopefully, whatever surgical team you are using has some form of support system in place. You mentioned seeing a counselor. Was it just once, or more than once?. When you left the counselors office, it does not seem if they really addressed your issues to your satisfaction.

If you have been working on the insurance for 3 years, I would like to believe that you have had some time to have thought about your decision and the reasons why you need it to get healthy. Think about those reasons and hopefully they will affirm your decision to gain your health and life back.

As for the pre-surgery jitters. Here are a few of my recommendations:

A. Pre-surgery, schedule some "Me Time". Take some time to remove yourself from worries about others in your life and normal everyday stresses. This may allow you seperate the other stresses and worries. Mental stress is hard on the body and soul/mind.

B. The day/night before the surgery might be a good time to rent some good comedy movies or read a book, or re-read an old favorite book.

C. Avoid caffeine (hopefully you are doing this already!) and do whatever you can to ensure enough sleep and rest between now and the day of surgery. Lack of sleep can have a tendancy to magnify our emotions.

Hopefully between now and the next scheduled surgery date you will be mind set to have a warm fuzzy  about your decision and the day of surgery will be a walk in the park.

"Controlling my food,    instead of my food controlling Me!

ginau
on 8/17/08 6:04 am - mesa, AZ

Gary

Those are awesome recommendations !!   I sat outside in pre surgery - r****ing back and forth saying  " we can go home now"  my only fear was the needle  to start the I.V. -  needless to say  my friends would not take me home !!! 

last time around  my" white coat syndrom" kicked in - I was better once they started that darn i.v. 

find your fear and address is it - you will be much happier.  

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Most Active