Lots of questions...

troopersma
on 8/13/08 1:06 pm
I am currently employed but my insurance excludes WLS.  I'm paying $1000 a month for coverage (a family plan).  I am considering switching to another plan.  In particular I'm wondering if any of the BCBS individual plans will cover WLS?  I looked on the website and I didn't see any specific exclusions.   At the rate I'm paying now even if I go with one of their plans that have a high deductible I might still be better off...and if it covers WLS then all the better!

Also, any thoughts on surgeons in Tucson?  I've had bad experiences with NW Hospital (not with anything to do with WLS) but they have almost killed two people I know.  So I'd really rather have surgery at a different hospital.  I know there is a new surgeon that is centrally based and uses St. Joes I think?  I scheduled a consult at one point with him but was disappointed when all I got was to meet the nurse/nutritionist.  Is that standard? 

If I can't get insurance coverage...have any of you gone down to Mexico?  If so, what doctor did you use and what was your experience?  Do you remember the approximate cost?

If it matters, I'm considering the lap band.  

TIA

Jane

liveinphx
on 8/13/08 11:23 pm - Phoenix, AZ
My insurance has a WLS exclusion so I was self pay.
I had my sleeve procedure done in Mexico about 6 weeks ago.
I chose the sleeve over the lapband because fills can get very expensive. I have also seen increasing numbers of lapband folks getting revisions due to slippage, erosion, leaks, flipped ports and inability to find a fill amount that worked consistently.
I did not have either of the bypass surgeries due to issues of malabsorbtion. Most folks to not have major issues but the friends I know that had malabsorbtion issues have major ongoing health problems and I was not willing to risk it.
I used Francisco Contreras in Tijuana and I had a great experience. I have had no pain, no nausea, no problems with gas or any of the more common problems. I have been able to eat and get my fluids in with no problems either. I have lost a little over 30 lbs in 6 weeks and that is without exercising which I know I should be doing.
Dr C was wonderful. He spent about 45 minutes on the phone with me explaining what he does and why he does it and this was BEFORE I even made my final decision to use him.
Please feel free to contact me if you think I can help in any way
Rachel B.
on 8/14/08 4:58 am - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with
Like the previous poster, I chose the sleeve as well.  I just had my surgery on Monday and am now feeling near new.  I am still in Eagle Pass, TX across from Piedras Negras where my surgeon, Dr Guillermo Alvarez practices.  I just put up pictures from my experience.  The hospital is old, but cleaner than any in Tucson (I'm a nurse and worked at most, been an unfortunate victim at UMC), with great staff and a very well equipped modern OR.  I would recommend them to anyone.  I also wrote up my entire experience. 

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Most Active