Hair Loss = HELP!!

20candy07
on 7/17/08 1:15 pm - Tolleson, AZ

How long do I have to wait for my hair to grow back??  Anyone lose quite a bit and it grow back to pre-op?  I really have to wear a hat.   Gosh!! HELP!!

ginau
on 7/17/08 1:30 pm - mesa, AZ

Candy

I know you wont want to hear this ,, My loss started about 4 months out and went on for about 4 months and some of it has never grown back. I am confident it will ... Just keep up with vitamins and protein !

JRinAZ
on 7/17/08 3:55 pm - Layton, UT
Candy!
I've got a few strands left sooooooooooo....I'm considering      1.  Extentions  2.  little fluffy insert pieces    3.  new hair style (is there such a thing as a combover for females?)  4.  Chugging protein, upping vites and water, head massage, investing in pricey hair regrowth products, head massage, more protein drinks AND head massage!!!!                             Hang in there!  Hats can be a fun option too!!!! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

maxaz1
on 7/18/08 1:05 am - Scottsdale, AZ

My hair loss started by 4 months out. My hair was extrememly thin in front to begin with, so it was pretty disconcerting to lose so much. By 7 months, my hairdresser told me there was plenty of new growth, and it continued coming back in. My hair looks better than pre-surgery. It came in thicker oand curlier than it had been, so I am happy about that. I was at the point of getting a wig (decided not to - too hot), extensions (I was told that there wasn't enough hair to hold/hide the connections), or hairpiece (top front?), when the hair started growing back.  Everyone I spoke with - despite how terrible and apparent it looked to me - said, "Nah. not so bad. Never even noticed."  Go figure.

Protein, protein, protein. I also used Nioxin shampoo and conditioner faithfully. (and Rusk "Thick".)
Anyway - be patient. It WILL grow back.

20candy07
on 7/18/08 3:32 am - Tolleson, AZ

Thanks everyone...I feel so self conscious it's terrible. I will be patient.  I'm going to buy the Nioxin, can I purchase it at CVS?  Is it kool to wear a hat to job interviews?? 

merryterry
on 7/18/08 6:54 am - AZ
I've been losing some of my already thin hair lately and I don't even have insurance approval yet! What's going to happen after surgery? I remember a hair loss phase after my hysterectomy 5 years ago! WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
motorhomemama
on 7/26/08 1:59 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Hi Terry.  I have very thin hair already too.  My surgeon is also Dr. Blackstone.  When is your surgery.  Mine is scheduled for Oct . 29/  Maybe we will end up wig -shopping together!!!! But I hate hats and things on my head... Oh well .  Eydie in Alberta
342/298/280175  highest / surgery  wtNov 19/08/ current/ goal
pwrightt
on 7/19/08 2:08 am - PHOENIX, AZ
I was fortunate I never experienced any hair loss to speak of TILL I had my gall bladder removed about 10 months after my wls. Then it came out in handfuls. So I cut my hair short and that seemed to hide it a lot. Its growing back and you can see all the new growth about 1/2 inch long where my hair parts. Thanks goodness. After my gallbladder surgery it took about 3 months for the hair to stop falling. Its actually coming back wavier. Sad part is my grey hair. Its VERY HARD to accept color now. Oh well at least the hair grew back.
20candy07
on 7/19/08 3:33 am - Tolleson, AZ

As soon as the gardners leave I'm headed to kohls or penneys and look for a hat.  I'm happy to hear the hair grows back.  It's not soon enough though for me.  One of the ladies is using Nioxin.  I've been trying to find it.  It isn't at CVS for sure.  I'll try Walgreens.  I've had 3 surgeries prior to WLS and I don't remember my hair falling out then for some reason.  Some women are so lucky not to have to experience this.  A good friend didn't seem to have a big problem losing hair and she lost quite a bit of weight.  Anyone use Rogaine???  Dr. J told me it would grow back.....yeah,...he has nice thick hair!!  I have to use hair color to cover my grey for sure, but, it colors my scalp and I have to scrub it good to get it off when I do color my hair so that strips some of the color off at the get/go.  I couldn't wait to get thin....now I have to wait for the hair to grow back......hehehe... I am really...self conscious...

Most Active