Qualifying for surgery.....

klyn13jwl
on 7/15/08 5:29 am - Lakeside, AZ
This is probably another dumb question.....do I need to go to the seminar before I go and get my cardio and psych eval or can I get it done now?  Would I be able to get the surgery done before Christmas or is he booked until the new year?  ?  ?  ?
Kellyn
klyn13jwl
on 7/15/08 6:12 am - Lakeside, AZ
Juarez.
Gena L.
on 7/15/08 6:27 am - Sun City, AZ

The way mine worked was I went to seminar first.  Then if you decide this is for you, you must go to your PCP and have the discussion with him. If he agrees this is a good thing for you....then he will at some point write your letter of medical necessity. He will also be the one who will order the lab work. I had my psych eval first then my appointment with my surgeon. Next came a whole cardiac work up. EKG, echo cardiogram and then my stress tests. after that the docs will tell you what else needs to be done and possibly also the insurance company. As you get nearer to date you will go to the hospital for all outpaint testing and x-rays

klyn13jwl
on 7/15/08 10:18 am - Lakeside, AZ
I've already gone to my PCP and he has faxed the referral.  My Consultation and mini-seminar are scheduled for Aug. 5.  So my PCP orders the blood work........is this for the outpatient testing or before .....when I'm trying to get a date?  I'll get the cardiac and psych workup before my consultation on the 5th.  I assume that with me getting a mini-seminar, that is the same thing as a "Seminar"?  I just need to schedule a time to go to the ABC"s of Bariatric Surgery.  What is this they want 2 years of medically supervised weight loss attempts?  I have doctor reports stating my weight each time I went to the doctor.....other that that....?
sweatysweetie
on 7/15/08 10:24 am
Gena L.
on 7/15/08 10:46 am - Sun City, AZ
I am not sure....you have me confused. Sounds like the cart before the horse?

sweatysweetie
on 7/15/08 11:12 am, edited 7/15/08 11:14 am
klyn13jwl
on 7/15/08 1:29 pm - Lakeside, AZ
merryterry
on 7/15/08 12:00 pm - AZ
Unless you are self-pay it's most likely the best thing to go to the doctor's seminar first and, make an appointment with his/her office and follow their steps. It's understandable that you are excited and want tp get this ball rolling fast, but it does take time. Insurance won't pay for things before your surgeon orders them and you may or may not need some things, depending on your health, etc. Some things aren't needed until right before surgery. and if you are self-pay, you don't really want to pay for some things twice.

Good things take time for a reason.
klyn13jwl
on 7/15/08 2:04 pm - Lakeside, AZ
I am going to the seminar first.....then I go directly to the doctor's consult.  This is because I live in Lakeside, they were kind enough to get everything done in one day.  Merry, I'm not self-pay, I have been disabled since 1987 and I have Medicare A & B.  Not too sure if that will make much of a difference, but them are the facts.    I do appreciate your input.

Thanks again,

Kellyn  :)
Most Active