Cost of surgery....?

klyn13jwl
on 7/3/08 4:30 pm - Lakeside, AZ
I have been looking all over the web and I must be looking in the wrong places, because I cannot seem to find the price range for the RNY.  If anyone might help me out by telling me their experience with the price.....I'd really appreciate it.  BTW, I have Medicare as my secondary, and my Primary insurance only covers the employee.....which is my husband.  He doesn't need the surgery, I DO!  He pays a premium for me.  My Primary is AmeriBen.  Undoubtedly, the hospital that my husband works for has their own little clause that says they will not pay for spouses.  I'm praying that Medicare will pay as the Primary, and pay 80%.  Any ideas would be helpful.  Thanks.

260/245/145/124 
  I think I'm ready to stop now!
terriefaye
on 7/3/08 6:50 pm - mesa, AZ
i saw what my insurance was billed and it was a total of about $32,000. i hope everything works out.
20candy07
on 7/4/08 6:53 am - Tolleson, AZ

Typically the Dr's office will bill the insurance company 32K or more so the insurance pays a decent amount. The insurance never pays the total amount. They have a scale they use to pay for a patients services. Paying out of pocket, you should find a dr and talk to them.  I've seen where they will charge out of pocket half the amount to make the surgery affordable for someone who needs it.  If you have Medicare, you will have to find a dr that takes that insurance.  Hopefully someone will post the name of a dr on this site for you.

klyn13jwl
on 7/4/08 7:48 am - Lakeside, AZ
I was under the impression that Dr. Hilario took Medicare .... was I wrong?  I know they practice in a facility that is Medicare approved, and there are only three (3) in Arizona.  Three hospitals that are approved for BARIATRIC surgery.  I can't just go down to any hospital and have Medicare cover it.  If Dr. Hilario doesn't cover it....then I am S O L.  Where do I find a directory of doctors, in AZ, that accept Medicare?  Heck..... I thought everyone did. 
L. TP
on 7/4/08 10:54 am
I am pretty sure Scottsdale Bariatric takes Medicare??  The average cost is 32k.  Keep in mind, if you have complications, it can be more. Lnz
RayM
on 7/5/08 12:13 pm - Surprise, AZ
Dr Fang's office takes Medicare.  I am using Medicare/Humana with them.
merryterry
on 7/5/08 12:52 pm - AZ
I'm pretty sure I saw in a newsletter that Scottsdale Bariatric is no longer taking taking Medicare. Someone says Dr. Juarez does. Check the first link on the message board here. Good luck!
flyrep
on 7/5/08 1:24 pm - AZ
I was a self pay. I paid just at 23,000.00 for everything. I had Dr J.

Posted By:
~Fun loving Mormon~
 Husband's Best Friend
  ~ FREEDOM Activist ~
Hard Core Constitutionalist
~ Home Schooling MOMMA~

JRinAZ
on 7/5/08 6:08 pm - Layton, UT
Shannon!  You go girlfriend!  Your story represents the American Dream AS WELL AS the dream we all share of shaking the stereo type of obesity and embracing a new life!!!!  Hats off to you!...............Cindy!  Good luck this week....I'm rounding up thousands of good thoughts to send in your direction!  ..................            AZ Pooh Bear, WELCOME!!!!   Post your questions and comments often.  We LOVe our lurkers but truly miss them when they disappear into cyber space!.........Yoooo Hoooooooooo Miss Dawn with Dr. S...are you out there?  How ya doing sweetie pie?.....Becky from Tucson!  I've got your little piece of furniture on my porch ready to haul into work for you to borrow!!!!..........Deanne...keep the fight going for your approval!  My revision has given me a 2nd chance and everyone "deserves a second chance"!!!!! 
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active