If you had a choice of these 3 surgeons who would you choose and why?

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/08 5:38 am

Simon Fang Blackstone I ask this not because I want to start a fight on who is the best surgeon between these 3 but to prepare myself to have to quickly change surgeon's.  I am sure everyone knows my situation but just in case, I will give a quick summary.  

I am about 2-4 weeks out from sending in packet to insurance.  My current surgeon no longer takes my insurance and will only do the surgery if I can get approval and if they have a available surgery date by the end of July.   Don't forget I still have to do the 2 week Pre-op tests witht the hospital so I am really cutting it close timewise.   If I miss the July window I can see Blackstone or Simon.  I still have to have my pulmunary apt and get my results from the sleep test and cardio,  those two results I should have next week.  So I am really pushing the timeframe as the pulmunary test is July 1st.  Part of me wants to just change to a different surgeon now and avoid all this stress of rushing around.   I know both surgeons will have their own hoops I have to jump through.  If you could also let me know the surgeon specific stuff you had to do for Blackstone or Simon.  I am looking for Seminar, per-op weight loss, certain amount of support groups prior to surgery, and anything else you may have had to do. Thanks, Melissa

ginau
on 6/23/08 5:53 am - mesa, AZ
dont know enough about Simon -  Blackstone- has a long wait - but very nice Dr  and good at what she does. Fang is OK -  just not much personailityy -  but good Dr -  Is Dr Schlesinger and Option for you ??  -  I know he  just worked in a guy who had a very tight schedule -- warning !!   once you met  him - you wont want anyone else ...  Very caring  guy  480  419-2280 
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/08 6:01 am
Thanks for the info.  I wish Dr. Schlesinger was a option.  I met him last Saturday at the support meeting and really liked him. Thanks, Melissa
ginau
on 6/23/08 6:10 am - mesa, AZ
why is he not an option  for you ???
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/08 12:34 pm - AZ

Did you call Dr Schlesinger's office. He might take your insurance because he really want to help people. He does the 2 week liguid diet and yes you will lose weight. He runs his own group and has a nutritionist. You have alot support with his patients and if you need to talk to him call him and explain your situation. He also talks with his patients when they have questions. Give it a try but be lucky. He could still be a option. My surgery is July 2 and I wi**** was today. Dawn

L. TP
on 6/23/08 6:08 am
I would totally look into Schlesinger.  He is the next best thing to Blackstone and has a short wait time.  Lyns
(deactivated member)
on 6/23/08 6:39 am

I wish my insurance had left it open to any surgeon, but they said they are accepting blackstone or simon for the time being.  They are working on having a new surgeon sign up to take my insurance.   I would assume that it maybe one of these two doc's that they are courting for that position.

quiltz
on 6/23/08 12:04 pm - Phoenix, AZ
My personal experience with Blackstone was good, but the wait was really looooooooooong!
L. TP
on 6/23/08 12:23 pm
I would call Blackstones office and see what the wait time is.  If they take Blackstone they will also take her partner Dr. Sprunger. I have actually seen him most of my post op time even though Blackstone is my surgeon.  He is fabulous.  Who knows, call and find out wait time. I also know that if you tell them you are flexable they will call you the minute someone cancels or something and you get bumped up, often way way up Lyns
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/08 2:37 am
Update - Dr. Blackstone's office has told me they did speak with Mercycare about an arrangement but they choose not to proceed.  Not sure why my insurance told me  that I could go to Blackstone.  They don't seem to be very on the ball.
Most Active