operating room

RedSirenn
on 6/16/08 2:46 pm - Mesa, AZ

So in orientation they said that before they take you into the operating room a nurse will give you a medication that will block your short term memory so that you will not remeber anything? Maybe its just me but I have a high tolerance for drugs so I can't see this stuff working. Does anyone remember being igiven this med and can still remeber everything that happened in the operating room before they put you to sleep?

Deanne K.
on 6/16/08 3:17 pm - Tucson, AZ
I remember them starting to wheel me in and don't remember even getting into the room.  It depends on the surgery. 
ginau
on 6/16/08 3:24 pm - mesa, AZ
3 surgery's and  the only thing I remember is the Verced went into the I.v. , got into the  O.R.  Helped move myself   onto the O.R. table and lights went out !!  verced is mighty good stuff !!   Just make sure to sign consents before hand !!! Anesthia  guy gives you the happy juice !!!  and  gave it to me before I had signed .. Luckily  best friend had medical POA and signed for me !!  
RedSirenn
on 6/16/08 4:02 pm - Mesa, AZ
WOW, i just did some research on versed and there is no way im letting them give it to me. The possible side affects are not worth it.
ginau
on 6/16/08 11:30 pm - mesa, AZ
Red  Listen to Nicole's advice !!   If I didnt know better I would yhink your trying to chicken out?   all the surgeries Dr Blackstone has done - I know they will be able to take great care of you !!!
RedSirenn
on 6/17/08 3:29 am - Mesa, AZ

Vercid is something that blocks your short term memory and as a side affect can block stored memory. There is no reason for this drug to be administered. If something happens in the operating room before they put me to sleep I sure would like to remember it. Plus on all the medical websites that I went into this seems to be an option drug.  I have my pre-op appointment in 2 weeks with Blackstone and im going to ask to skip the Vercid. The main reason may sound stupid but my brother died 2 years ago and I treasure every memory that I have of him and I will not risk losing even just ONE memory.

ginau
on 6/17/08 5:54 am - mesa, AZ
I am sorry about your loss ,, I am sure Dr B will come up with something for you.
Nicole W.
on 6/16/08 4:24 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Versed is a valium based drug, it's something they use to calm you down and relax you.   It's also a drug so you don't remember whats going on.   It's is a beautiful thing.  I have a very high tolerance to it since I have had many epidural injections in my lower back prior to surgery, so I remembered everything up until they strapped me onto the surgery table.  Melissa was surprised I was still alert and all.   If you take valium make sure you tell them that, because Verced is form of valium, thus way I have a high tolerance because I used Valium for my low back spasms and sleep.  They also used it on me when the tried to fix my stricture, I warned them and they didn't believe me and then Dr. Blackstone came in a told me I wasn't a liar for sure and I had to have it done under general anesthesia due to my tolerance.  It is a very "happy" medication. The anthesilogist Dr. Blackstone uses is one of the best and he will make the best reccomendations for you.  I have stopped reading the side effects of medications, because they always freaked me out... those are the worse case thingst hat happen, Dr. B wont do anything to harm you. If you haven't had your pre-op visit with Dr. B, bring it when you do. ~Nicole

TinkerBell

beckipoohbear
on 6/17/08 2:06 am - AZ
The anesthesiologist gave me the versed injection in the preop area right before they were getting ready to wheel me back.  He called it my morning margarita.      Let me tell you, it works!  I vaguely remember being wheeled out of the preop area, I have a snapshot in my head of the OR and remember nothing else and I am okay with that.  I don't remember moving myself to the operating table and the idea of doing that kinda weirded me out so I'm glad I don't remember it!  Take it, I had no negative side effects from it at all.
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

L. TP
on 6/17/08 12:35 pm
I had it.  I remember things for sure.  I remember them wheeling me back.  Then I feel asleep.  I think probably a few minutes later I remember them asking me to breath deeply into the mask ( I was in OR) and about 3 breaths in I was out.  I woke up in my room.  No problems.  I would assume if you are not comfortable with the calming drug there would be alternatives for you.  There is enough to worry about that day, its not worth the anxiety this may cause you.  I lost a brother about a year ago as well, I understand.  Talk with your surgeon on your pre op appointment and explore all options.  This is an easy thing to work out.  Either you'll be okay with it after talking to her or you'll have an alternative that better fits you.  NO WORRIES. Lyns
Most Active