Which insurance covers Bariatric surgery right now - hurry!!!

Larissa P.
on 6/16/08 12:59 am - Denton, TX
I'm making a case for my HR department to switch health insurers for next year and need to know who actually does cover it. We currently have Anthem BC/BS and they are giving me the runaround, blaming it on my employer, but I think they don't cover it at all for anyone.
Duodenal Switch hybrid due to complications.

Click! > DS Documents ~ VitaLady.com ~ DSFacts.com ~ OH DS FB
(deactivated member)
on 6/16/08 1:21 am - AZ
I'm not sure what insurance companies cover WLS.

What I did find out is yes blame the employer who elects to have coverage or not. Most employeers will elect to have WLS as an exclusion to lower the cost of coverage.
ginau
on 6/16/08 7:55 am - mesa, AZ
Larissa   Iknow that Aetna and United Healthcare cover it - as long as the employer does not exclude it .. I believe blue cross/ sheild do too  Better to call your Dr and ask what ins company payments  he accepts !!!  That way  you have a better chance ... 
L. TP
on 6/16/08 10:55 am
United Health Care is one one of the best.  Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona have started covering without the 6 month requirements.  United doesn't have the 6 month requirement either.  From what I hear from my surgeons office United is the best. Lyns
Gena L.
on 6/16/08 1:35 pm - Sun City, AZ
Blue Cross/Blue Shield Federal Employee covers it.  I did not need approval from FEP Blue because I also am covered through Social Security Disabilty with Medicare part A.  If I had both A & B Medicare I probably would have had no out of pocket expenses. The more expenses covered by your employer....the higher your out of pocket will be. Gena

(deactivated member)
on 6/16/08 2:31 pm - AZ
I have HealthNet HMO Ruby PLan 2 which is a Medicare Advantage Plan.  I have Medicare part A and B. I am on social security disablity and I get to change my health insurance 2 times a year if I want. I have no out of pocket. My copay is $200 per admission but I get wavied. Dawn     
iveseenital
on 6/16/08 2:37 pm - AZ
AZ FOUNDATION FOR MEDICAL CARE COVERED MINE, I WAS APPROVED IN 1 DAY

nostood
on 6/16/08 3:35 pm - Gilbert, AZ
Cigna covers it, you need a six month medically supervised diet first.  Also the employer must choose to have that coverage.
jonijo
on 6/17/08 7:42 am - Buckeye, AZ
As  you can see from the response most insurance companies offer the coverage, it's up to your employer to include it on the plan they choose.

Stephanie W.
on 6/19/08 11:34 am - Peoria, AZ
Employers generally do not purchase the WLS or plastic surgery portion of the insurance plans. If they did, most employees would complain of the higher premiums they have to pay. Also,we do not live in a WLS friendly state in regards to insurance. In other states, it is against the law to exclude WLS. Not the case in AZ.

--Stephanie

At goal- I'm luvin' it!

Most Active