post- op

beckipoohbear
on 6/16/08 3:07 am - AZ
Starbucks Passion Tea is caffine free!! This is my new favorite drink after surgery and I hated tea before. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Gena L.
on 6/16/08 3:59 am - Sun City, AZ
Well....that is a lovely way to start a Monday morning ;-)  Thank you!

L. TP
on 6/12/08 3:13 pm
Hey Dawn, I have not found a liquid protein with whey that I like.  I bought Nectar and did not care for the fuzzy peach.  I have not tried the strawberry kiwi yet though.  When I am allowed to do fruits I think I will try to mix that in with fruit and blend them.   Good luck.  Let me know what you find that you like! Gena, thank you so much.  Maybe its the restrictions that scottsdale puts on me that make me feel like I can never even eat healthy again.  No fruits or veggies until FOUR months!?  I want a salad so bad and I can't.  I get down because I can't even eat healthy it feels.  :(  It will pass.  What kinds of things do you order?  What resturants do you like? Lyns
Gena L.
on 6/13/08 5:00 am, edited 6/13/08 5:02 am - Sun City, AZ
Hi Lyns and Sandra, Four months will go by before you know it. Seems just yesterday that I had surgery.  I tried the Strawberry-Kiwi nectar 2 nights ago and was nauseous and threw up off and on for over an hour. Nor did I like the Apple Ecstaty....it was florescent green and tasted nothing like apples. Last night we went to Texas Roadhouse. I ordered just a baked potato and had 2 bites of Jim's sirloin. I chewed and chewed and chewed. I had no problem with it.  Usually I have soup or chili, or just some scrambled eggs. I am always worried I will get sick in the restaurant but have not tho I sometimes eat to fast....I am working hard on that.  A bad habit I picked up working in a hospital as it takes more time to get back and forth to the cafeteria than you have time to eat.  To be perfectly honest the thought of protein shakes makes me queasy and I am struggling again with water. What ever is going on with me I wi**** would stop. Dr Juarez thinks much of it is nerves.  I spend several hours each day with my father at the hospital and he nearly died 3 times this past week.We called my sister home from KS as we thought she should be here. I found out last week that a cup of hot tea prior to eating soothes the grouchy pouch tho I know we are not supposed to heat 1/2 hour before a meal. We go to some of the small restaurants around Sun City and Peoria. Mostly tiny places as they work with me and are understanding about my diet.  I did tell DH that I want to start eating at home more often tho till this nausea business is better.  I often wish for a salad myself.  I do the soup and salad bar at J.B's often as they are very flexible with me. Sometimes I have the 1/2 sandwich (grilled cheese, no crust) and soup. I have eaten some watermelon as I am so thirsty and it does not make me sick. 1 time I have had cottage cheese with a bit of crushed pineapple and sometimes when we eat out I have chicken salad with a saltine cracker.

maxaz1
on 6/16/08 8:11 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Lyns- The protein shake I liked early on ( I say early on because my tastes changed and I liked more fo them as time went on) is a canned shake that I initially got at Sprouts, tand then at Vitamin Shoppe. I still keep them on hand. WorldWide. I like the bannana and vanilla. They also have strawberry and, I think, chocolate. They have a creamy taste, and I keep them in the frig, nice and cold. Then I can sip away for hours.   As far as other stuff - I found, during the first 4 months (which, as others say, really does go by pretty quickly), that I did better to concentrate on what I COULD have, rather than the fruits and veggies I couldn't eat. yet.  Refried beans - I never liked them before - but with some cheese melted on top - a nice meal. So for the first time in my memory, Mexican restaurants appealed to me. I still, if I need a protein fix - go to a drive through for a bean burrito (no lard!).  I remember eating a small amount of chicken on a child's plate at Boston MArket, and enjoying my meal.  I found that places that served huge portions kind of repulsed me for quite a while - even though I could take left-overs, etc. I got pretty tired of eggs, but sometimes a little egg salad hit the spot. And grilled cheese - although it's hard to eat the cheese without eating all that bread... The thing to remember is that a lot of places will give you exactly what you ask for. i.e., You can have a chicken and rice bowl without the rice....a cottage cheese and yogurt plate without fruit, etc. Ask for a piece of cheese and some beans. Hummus? Try Mediterranean or Middle Eastern places - lots of stuff like lentils, hummus, cheeses, most of which have a good protein count.I did order soups a lot. I knew they weren't strictly according to Dr B, but I loved how easily they went down. The chicken tortilla soup at Islands was to die for.  Main thing is - the time will pass. and if it seems to be a long time without your favorites and without satisfying cravings, use it to make yourself aware of how you don't HAVE to have whatever your brain tells you you want.  Eyes on the Prize, as my nutritionally-concious son tells me!
(deactivated member)
on 6/17/08 4:59 am - AZ
Lyns, I start my protein liquid diet tomarrow. But I can have skinnless chicken too!. I don't what liguid I am going to get. I go to the vitiman shop. I wish they would have samples ready made for you to try so you don't waste a money. I will sure I won't get what you tried because I am a very picky eater and drinker. Have you tried anymore ? Dawn  
Sandra C.
on 6/12/08 9:36 pm - Phoenix, AZ

I am not allowed raw veggies, but I am allowed fruit, but he said to limit the amount because of the sugar in fruit. He also told me to stick to fish and pultry and stay away from beef for now. Maybe a little ground beef. Ray and I went to Denny's last night for dinner and I got the omelet with veggies and bacon in it. I had them hold the sausage. It was very good and I ate almost all of it and then I felt full. I still had some left and normally would have stuffed it in to fini**** but I laid my fork down. Ray ate my hasbrowns and toast and the rest of the omelet.It seems I can also tell that I am full because I burp or start sneezing. I hope that helps you Lyns. You can also order stick or even a baked potato with cheese and sour cream.  Gena, so it seems you are in my boat. A lower BMI and slower losing. I'm like you "as long as it comes off!"  I am wearing a blouse to work today that I have never worn since I met Ray. HIs latest comments are,"When did you get that?" I brought it from Ohio 4 years ago Ray, just couldn't fit into it! Another good one that I hardly ever heard is, :"You look nice today!" or (and this one is jokingly) "you look like you are going on a date" Lol. He also had the balls to say to me, "I love waterparks and when you lose more weight, I want us to go to one." Jackass! But, I didn't get bent out of shape because I know he is from the California beach area the land of the fruits and nuts, and also he is too stupid to realize how chauvenistic he sounded. YOu know how it is. Everyone has their good points and their bad point. And I hope I didn't offend anyone from California. I love all you people. Just joking around. Reggie, I will see you at Banner. I am looking forward to it and I hope some of the new people will come. You look amazing, girlfriend! I am so happy for you. Actually, I am happy for everyone on the board because we are all getting Healthier! I took Fooferdoo for a morning walk and that felt good. Now I am off to work. TGIF! Have a great day everyone!

Most Active