A change of plans? OPEN RNY?

aboymom
on 6/9/08 9:55 am
I have changed surgeons due to some insurance problems and I met with Dr. Schlesigner today.  I thought I wanted the sleeve but come to find out, my insurance doesn't cover it.  So I had to change my plans to RNY.  (I was never against RNY so that wasn't too much of a stretch for me to handle).  But then we started talking OPEN RNY.  What the heck?  That wasn't anywhere on my radar.  He feels that due to a previous surgery and a previous recommendation to get my gall bladder out, which I didn't listen to, that I should have open RNY.  I am kind of stunned.  I always need time to wrap my mind around changes.  I get my mind set and it's hard for me to change but right now I am pretty freaked out about having surgery the "old" way.  Any thoughts?
ginau
on 6/9/08 10:37 am - mesa, AZ
1. your in great hands!  2. he can take care of hernia's gall bladder  and what ever else is issue while he is in there 3. He will bypass you the appropriate amount! Depending on how much you have to loose - if its a lot  he will bypass you more then someone who has a lot less to loose - his judgement is very good and  you most likely wont have to do revision surgery. talk it out with him !!! If you talk to him and ask him about lap rny he will tell you  that most of his revision cases ahad not been bypassed as much as what  they had been told.   Last - it gives you a little more time off - that can be good or bad ??  Side note ..... dont be afraid to call him ...   Wish I had gone with him my first time around !!   My revision was open and I was up and driving in 5 days .
aboymom
on 6/9/08 11:18 am
Oh, five days ain't bad. If I can get the insurance to get me approved.  (I hope to be submitting the beginning of next week) then I can get a surgery date before I go back to school.   I am one of those lucky school teachers with a whole month of July off.  So how do you compare your two surgeries?  Is open much worse than lap?  Should I quit second judging him and just go with his advice.  UGH!!  What a bad patient am I?
ginau
on 6/10/08 1:18 am - mesa, AZ

The incission is  worst part of it - But every day gets better!  I have a gorgeous incission now ... looks like a ruffle - compared to centipede  scar from hysterectomy.  no matter what your going to have some discomfort,,, one day at a time, You get good pain meds Take em !!!  less  gas pains with open than  laproscopic.  the binder keeps you supported on the open procedure.  Doc knows his stuff and will give you best results he can ..  he is very dedicated and sincere.  So will we be seeing you at his support group on 21st ??? -  you can come and ask us anything you want ..

L. TP
on 6/9/08 12:03 pm
The scarring and recovery are a bit different but from what I have heard, he is one of the best!  Good luck! Lyns
Most Active