Gary's Surgery

Deanne K.
on 6/6/08 2:29 pm - Tucson, AZ
Has anyone heard how Gary is doing since his surgery the other day?  Just wondering.
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/08 6:42 pm - AZ
I have not heard a thing about Gary's surgery. I hope everthing went well.
(deactivated member)
on 6/6/08 6:49 pm - AZ

What about Shawn, her big day is creaping up on her Monday on June 9. I guess DR Schlesinger is getting ready for her. Shawn don't be to nervous we are all behing you to send good vibes your way. Who will keep us update on your surgery ? Let us know. Dawn   special fairy dust...  

MShawn62
on 6/7/08 4:32 am - Avondale, AZ
Hi Dawn, I am a little nervous, but nothing too bad.  Thanks for the good vibes and I'll have one of my kids get on my account and post the progress. Thanks, Shawn
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wow7xaM/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wow7xaM/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Garys
on 6/7/08 12:17 am - Mesa, AZ
I had my lap band surgery yesterday morning. It went better than the best case scenario i could have imagined. I arrived at P.V hospital before 6AM. Checked in and that went quickly as I had been there two weeks before when my surgery got cancelled. I was taken back around 6:50 for my surgery prep. That went better than the last time I was there. They got the IV in quickly,in less than a minute, last time it took over five minutes.... . I answered all the questions that all the nurses were asking, even the redundant ones. My family was brought back to stay with me once they had the IV and everything ready to go. I had a long talk with the anethesiologist (sp) to make sure he was up to speed  and ready for the stuff that got the surgery cancelled last time. My family (My wife, Mom, and sister) got to listen in on the briefing and so now they are aware of what they need to do if they go to surgery because of the family history. Dr. Schlesinger stopped by and talked with me and my family and answered all of our questions. 5 Minutes before my 7:30 scheduled surgery time they took me to the surgery room. If only the airlines could be on such good schedules. Upon arrival in the surgery room, they placed on oxygen mask on face and after that I dont remember much. I came to when I sensed my gurney staring to move, as I rolled out of the surgery room I passed Dr. S. and he told me everything went very well and that there were no problems with the surgery. The Surgery was performed Laproscopically as advertised and DR S. did not need to open me up. I have six small incisions in my abdomen.  When I reached recovery I spoke to the nurse there and she was amazed that I was somewhat alert already. She asked how much pain medication I need and kinda feaked out when I told her none at the moment, that I was good for now.  I don't think that  she or I for that matter, was expecting that. When I told her that I needed to get up and use the restroom, she seemed equally surprised. She told me I would have to wait a few minutes if I could as another patient had just been wheeled into the bed next to mine.  We took a trip to restroom via the wheel chair express. I stood up in the restroom while the nurse stood guard outside the door. I emptied my bladder (alot!) If you have seen the first Austin Powers movie with the scene where he is voiding after the unfreezing process you get the picture. I was wheeled back to my bed for a bit to make sure that everything was OK.  I still did not need pain medication and had started to pass some of the gas. A short while after, I was asked If I wanted to be released. I was back at my house by noon the day of my surgery. When I got home, I arranged myself in my easy chair and relaxed. I got up for 5 minutes every hour and walked up and down the hallway in my house. I am trying to make sure I have no clotting and to help release the gas that is still trapped inside my stomach. I had watered down Gatorade (zero low calorie) in a glass of ice that I sipped all day long with a sip every 15 minutes or so and later in the evening I had a small portion of suger free jello that I slowly ate over the course of about 45 minutes. I still have the gas but that is getting better as I am finding it easier and easier to pass it as I go along. The most incredible part of this thing so far, that I did not expect at is...... I have not taken any pain medication post surgery nor have I felt the need!   I know that this is probably not normal in most cases and could change later but thus far I have not  taken as much as a flipping Tylenol. I have a huge bottle of Codeine/tylenol 3 here if I need it along with anti nausia medication that the Dr prescribed but I have no use for so far, knock on wood. Time to go walk the hallway again  
MShawn62
on 6/7/08 4:30 am - Avondale, AZ
That is all so cool!  I can not believe you got out of the hospital the same day.  I am so happy for you that everything went as great as it did!! Shawn
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wow7xaM/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wow7xaM/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
ginau
on 6/7/08 1:22 pm - mesa, AZ
wow Gary ! You did great... My first procedure was lap rny and I  was totaly diff from you -- took me 5 days to recover...   I am so glad to hear your doing well.   We will be seeing you Sat the 21st ?? a few lbs lighter and dancing in the office ?? 
jonijo
on 6/8/08 5:52 am - Buckeye, AZ
Wow Gary! Home by noon? Way to go! I'm so glad all went so great for you. I have my lap band surgery on the 26th and after reading about yours I feel a little better about some things. I know you may not be the norm but still, how exciting it all went so great. Keep up the walking and sipping. I hear thats the best thing to do. Congrats!
jenniebr
on 6/7/08 1:44 am - queen creek, AZ
Gary,  I am so happy all went well.  I was thinking about you all morning when Dr S walked in,  you were my first question.   Take it easy and let me know if you need anything.  I will call you Monday morning to check up on you.   Don't forget about the support meeting on June 21 at 3:30, bring your wife.  I am going to make my hubby come, he's another man with a band! You have a great support system and a winning attitude!  This is your time!!!  Enjoy!
Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
Garys
on 6/7/08 1:43 pm - Mesa, AZ
I will try to make it on the 21st with the wifey...
Most Active