Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why?

AzViper
on 5/25/08 11:27 am - AZ

I am starting this thread so that others can be informed. Here are the guidelines that we need to follow. There is no perfect surgery so let’s keep it civil and not wage any wars on each other. This is open to those that are pre-op and post-op.

(1) Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why?

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier?

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter?

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive?

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery?

(6) Your post-op how much weight have you lost in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet?

(7) To be honest to yourself and to others are you following your guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake?

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why?

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery?

(10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery?

Rebecca (Becky) A.
on 5/26/08 1:34 am - Tucson, AZ

I thought that RNY was the best surgery for me.  I did not want the Lap Band because I did not want anything foreign in my body and I am not a fan of needles so did not want the fills.

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier?  My insurance is Govt PacifiCare and it did cover the surgery.

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter?  I saw Dr. J in April and had my surgery in Sep.

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive?  I may have considered the "sleeve" but my insurance did not cover it.

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery? Nothing major.

(6) Your post-op how much weight have you lost in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet? I lost 144 pounds in a year and a half.  I don't exercise daily, I'm sorry to admit.  I don't know if you would consider eating too many crackers cheating?!!!

(7) To be honest to yourself and to others are you following your guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake? I feel that I am following the guidelines as closely as possible.  I do not drink carbonated or alcoholic drinks ever.  I bake or grill all my meats and I still continue to chew my food thoroughly and do not drink half hour before and after meals.

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why? Yes I do.  I feel so much better physically and mentally than I did a year and a half ago..  I wish I had done it years earlier.

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery? None.

(10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery? Being able to quit taking some medications has been a plus for me.  I can walk without being in pain and I can enjoy doing my gardening and playing with my grandchildren. 

Example 1   

~~Beckyg~~LBL and Brachioplasty 16 Jul 08

AzViper
on 5/26/08 2:50 am, edited 5/26/08 2:56 am - AZ

(1) Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why? I choose Lap Band as I felt it was the right for me. The other surgeries are more invasive and the idea of having surgery that is not reversible down the road did not agree with me. My doctor who had performed over 700 RNY’s now only does Lap Band. Dr. Schwartz told me that he felt that Lap Band was safer with fewer complications before and after surgery.

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier? No my insurance did not cover Lap Band. I paid out of pocket. Aetna would have paid for RNY but I would have had to jump through all the hoops to satisfy them before they would pay for the surgery, not worth the headaches in dealing with HMO’s.

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter? I first went to a seminar at UA by Dr. Blackstone a few years ago before my high school 30th reunion. This is where I learned of the troubles of dealing with Aetna . When I decided to pay out of pocket it was a matter of paying the bill. Surgery for me was about 5 weeks after walking into Dr. Schwartz office.

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive? Had Aetna covered Lap Band I suppose I would have played the game, but I am happy with the outcome. Paying out of pocket makes me want to continue to succeed in weight loss.

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery? Well I am only 1 month post-op and have yet to have my first fill but I am down 44 pounds. My first fill will be May 30th.

(6) Your post-op how much weight have you lost in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet? Down 44 pounds, I walk daily, and I appear to eat more due to not having much of a restriction but this will change on May 30th. I do watch what I eat. I have not had any sugars or soft drinks, but to say I turn away from all foods the answer is no. I just make sure I eat small portions.

(7) To be honest to yourself and to others are you following your guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake? I would say I have, but I have eaten foods that had fat and have tolerated the foods. Again I watch the amount of foods I eat.

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why? I am very happy with the choice I made. I was at a point in my life that a change was needed. Lap Band offered me that choice and along the way I found a better means of food intake with healthier food. Time will tell once I begin my fills and the restriction begins. As the doctor has said, “We have yet to turn you on”.

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery? The $16,444.00 I paid out of pocket, but I know that I will be successful and the outcome will be worth the money spent.

(10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery? Well its to early in my new life to be able to contribute the 44 pounds lost to the Lap Band as the weight I have lost has been mainly due to the foods and lack of food I have ingested. But if it was not for the pre-op for the Lap Band that jump started the process of losing weight I would still be at 378 pounds.

iveseenital
on 5/26/08 4:47 am - AZ
1) Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why?  I chose the Lap Band because to me it was the safest. I had the surgery because I am Morbidly obese, and I relized I couldnt do it alone anymore.

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier? Yes it covered 10,000.00, I have arizona Foundation for medical care as an employee for Scottsdale Healthcare

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter? About 7-8 months, I had to be on a medically supervised diet for 6 months. I knew that After they submitted to insurance I was approved 1 day later. (4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive? I did have a choice, I chose Lap Band

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery? None

(6) Your post-op how much weight have you lost in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet? I have lost 38 pounds since my surgery I had my surgery 7 weeks ago. I exercise almost daily by walking 60 minutes to 90 minutes. Yes I have cheated. I dont dwell on it.

(7) To be honest to yourself and to others are you following your guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake? I am following the guidlines. I have noticed im more hungry now then I was right after the surgery. I need a fill I think. I had a fill like 2 weeks ago., but I go in in 2 weeks, and get another 1

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why? Yes I do.

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery? Some people think its the "Easy way out." I have to walk, I have to exersize, I have to eat right. There is nothing easy about it.

(10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery? Throwing 2 garbage bags full of clothes to the goodwill, to Clean my closet knowing I will not be that big again. To see the inches falling off of me. To look in the mirror, and see I am losing my Double chin! To look at a picture of me now and to see one from 3 months ago, Big differance!

L. TP
on 5/26/08 5:47 am

I am starting this thread so that others can be informed. Here are the guidelines that we need to follow. There is no perfect surgery so let’s keep it civil and not wage any wars on each other. This is open to those that are pre-op and post-op.

I had the choice between RNY and Lap Band.  With the research out there, me being insulin resistant made my success rate very very low.  Also, I did not feel that the average weight loss per week was something I would be happy with for myself and my long term goals.  I also did not feel I could commit to regular fills for the long term.  I think its WONDERFUL to have a lap band and I am encouraging my husband to do that over RNY.  It just wasn't right for me personally.

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier?

My insurance carrier is state of arizona employee insurance/Schaller Anderson.  I am so fortunate.  They are covering 100% of my surgery.

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter?

About 3 years.  My insurance carrier told me FOUR times they did not cover the surgery when they in fact did.  Then I did my 6 months of required diet and got denied, then did not submit my appeal for 180 days and then had to weight 3 months for surgery.

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive?

I may have considered DS if it were available. However, its not in the state of Arizona yet.  It also isn't with my insurance either. I think I still would have done RNY but since it was my only option,  I am not sure.

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery?

My surgery is next week...N/A

(6) Your post-op how much weight have you lost in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet?

N/A

(7) To be honest to yourself and to others are you following your guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake?

N/A

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why?

Right now, I absolutely do.  I know I am still pre op but honestly, I have never in my life been thin and I know that without something other than another diet, I likely will never be thin.  I am also getting very sick very fast and at a very young age.

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery?

N/A

(10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery?

N/A

ginau
on 5/26/08 6:40 am - mesa, AZ
1) Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why? I wanted results that would have a better chance of lasting a long time, and I orefer not to do needles.  call me chicken ....

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier? yes to both my intial rny  approved by unted , 2nd Revision was covered by  Aetna  1st time  requested .

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter? rny was about 4 months , 2nd revision was less than 30 days - no obstacles !!!

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive?  I wish I had been brave first time and had Extended rny done.

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery? loose stools and  gas with  revision !!!

(6) Your post-op how much weight have you lost in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet? My total loss is around 170 lbs, dont excercise daily , and No One is Perfect !!!

(7) To be honest to yourself and to others are you following your guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake?  keepping it real !!

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why? Yes !!!  i am still alive , doing good and feeling  great - have more of a life!!

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery? More blood draws, lighter checkbook from clothes shopping !

(10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery? too may to list !!!  its all good !!!

jenniebr
on 5/26/08 12:12 pm - queen creek, AZ
1) Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why? LapBand, I thought it was a better choice for me, being diabetic and suffering from many weird infections, I worried that RNY would not be safe for me

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier?  Yes, BCBS of Ca began covering LapBand 11/01/05, my surgery was 12/15/05

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter? Less than 9 months, I started just after I had my 5th child in March 2005, My first appt was 8/31/05 and surgery was 12/15/05, I had to wait for BCBS to cover it or get a line credit on my house.

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive?   I did have a choice, I only wanted the band.

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery? Suprisingly, NO.  I did have an infection in my salivary gland in Feb 2007, but my diabetes had been under control since my surgery.

(6) Your post-op how much weight have you lost in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet?  I have lost a total of 140 pounds, I was done losing weight 9 months post op, and have had a few pound gain here and there.  I do not exercise daily, never really did.    This is a lifestyle not a diet so I can not cheat.  I just live!

(7) To be honest to yourself and to others are you following your guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake? I followed it pretty well, I found I like chocolate so that was an issue but it was dark chocolate!!  LOL  I do not drink my calories nor do I pretend that yummy stuff is the best choice at times.  I did this to extend and enjoy my life, that is what I am doing!

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why?   No brainer here!!!  Of course, one of the best choices, next to getting married and having kids!  I am healthy and happier than I have ever been!  I no longer take insulin or any other meds for that matter!  My kids are not ashamed of me and I am enjoying being me again!

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery? I often feel as if I am under a microscope, with certain family and friends.  I can not get past my self image of that big girl in the mirror. 

(10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery? I am healthy!  There are far too many positives!  I like everything about life!  Best yet, I like the person I always was but never got to know underneath!

Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
dramqueen6
on 5/27/08 4:24 am - Glendale, AZ

(1) Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why?   From the research I did and other people around me who had the procedure done I felt it was a right suit for me.

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier?  Yes they did cover it.  I got an approval in one day.. My insurance is United Health Care.

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter?  I had my initial consult with Scottsdale Bariatric in March.. My surgery is scheduled for July.  So far no major obstacles.. Please pray that eveything else goes as smoothly! 

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive?  I did have a choice.

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
desert rat
on 5/27/08 12:59 pm - Goodyear, AZ

(1) Why did you select the type of weight loss surgery and why? I selected RNY.  I had GERD, was pre-diabetic, did not want a foriegn object in my body, & RNY removes nothing...is completely reversible if need be.

(2) Did your insurance cover your surgery? Who is your insurance carrier? I had Cigna & they did pay for RNY.

(3) From the time you explored the idea of having weight loss surgery how much time elapsed before you had your surgery? What obstacles did you encounter? It took Cigna nearly 5 years to approve my surgery.  First they changed approved surgeons, then they kept changing the requirements.  Of course, they don't tell you they have changed anything until you submit & then it's "Oh, we don't accept that anymore."  Once they settled on a program, I was approved quickly.

(4) If your insurance covered your surgery do you wish you had a choice of the type of surgery that you would receive? I'm very satisfied with the surgery I received & even now, wouldn't change what I had if I could.

(5) Have you experience any complication due to the surgery or after surgery? Absolutely NONE.

(6) If you're post-op, how much weight have you lost & in what time frame? Do you exercise daily? Have you cheated on your diet? I lost 180 pounds in 18 months.  I do not exercise every day...nobody does but I exercise regularly.  I am not on a diet.  I have changed my life style.  I eat healthfully more than I don't but yes, if I want a piece of cake occasionally, I have it...but only occasionally.  I have my protein shakes everyday!

(7) Be honest with yourself and others, are you following the guidelines that the doctor has set for your post-op care as far as food intake? I don't believe my doctor has guidelines for 3 years post op, so I can't really say but I do follow the basic rules, such as no drinking 30 minutes before, after, or with my meals, no carbonated beverages, more protein than anything else.

(8) Do you think that the choice you made in having weight loss surgery was the correct choice for you and why? Without a doubt.  I have my life back!

(9) What negatives do you have after having weight loss surgery? I now have to spend time & money on vitamins, minerals and protein supplements.  I have to read everything I can find in order to stay up to date on on-going research in the medical field as it applies to gastric by-pass patients.  (10) What positives do you have after having weight loss surgery? The list of positives is unending.  Everything has improved.  I have no pain, no medications, no limitations, boundless energy, unlimited ambition.  I am back in school now, planning on changing my career.  If I hadn't lost the weight, I would be sitting here waiting to retire, so I didn't have to leave the house!

Pre-Op 316.  Currently 134.  Goal was 135 but I'm ecstatic.
AzViper
on 5/28/08 9:13 am - AZ
I have always been under the impression that RNY was NOT reversible.
Most Active