Surgeons

Diamonds-r-4ever
on 5/20/08 8:21 am - Winlock, WA
Hello to all, I would like to know the experiences with some surgeons. I have been to to 4 different seminars just to find the right surgeon.  I am also looking at cost. I have Tricare insurance which is now doing Lap Band(thank Goodness).  I am looking for the best surgeon and the least out pf pocket expense. I basically have no cashand no credit and am getting bigger by the day. I need help from any one that can give it.  I went to Bridges Weight loss yesterday. Don"t Like Dr. Fang. He recommends RNY over  Lap Band. I f any one has more suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to those that responded to my previous Post
MShawn62
on 5/20/08 9:13 am - Avondale, AZ

Do you have Tricare Prime or Tricare Standard? MShawn

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wow7xaM/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wow7xaM/weight.png[/img]
[/url]
Diamonds-r-4ever
on 5/20/08 3:35 pm - Winlock, WA
Hi MShawn, Thanks for your interest. I have tricare standard.     I'm just getting frustrated with all the different cost that the Drs. want.   Thanks to all. you have been helpful. Has any one used Dr. Simpson?  He seems to be a pretty experienced surgeon. Thank you all again for the help.
Paperboy
on 5/20/08 9:14 am, edited 5/20/08 9:15 am
Call Jen at Dr. Schlesingers office.  She is their new bariatric coordinator.  I know they accept Tricare.  She is also a lapbander herself and very knowledgeable about the lap band.  I also happen to know that she was told the exact same thing when she went to Bridges.  In fact they told her that she would never be succesful with the lap band.  They were wrong.  She reached goal very quickly and has maintained for well over a year now. From what I've seen Dr. Fang is a good surgeon, he just seems to be more comfortable with RNY and tends to push his patients in that direction.  Good luck on your journey.
jenniebr
on 5/20/08 11:57 am - queen creek, AZ
Hey There and Welcome!     As a bander myself, I can understand the frustrations that go along with getting to surgery.   I went to Juarez and he just tried to push the RNY.   I do know that  surgeons recommend RNY for higher BMI patients but I was a 48 and now am 23 or something.  I chose a different doctor based on my desire to have the Lapband.   I am now Dr Schlesingers Bariatric Coordinator, I made a choice to work there based on his skill and his desire to help us in our WLS journey.  Dr Schlesinger does take tricare and there is not a program fee or added costs.  If you need any help, please fell free to call me at the office 480-419-2280.  I will be more than happy to assist you in this journey.   Good Luck and keep us posted on your progress!
Jen
Banded 12/15/05
At goal-7/14/06
Total Loss-140 pounds
L. TP
on 5/20/08 1:13 pm
I love Scottsdale Bariatric because I personally feel they have the most extensive post surgery and pre surgery support & educational system (and care) in arizona.  This is JUST MY OPINION.   My experience with them is not perfect and yet, I still recommend them.    Dr. B is one of the top surgeons for bariatric in the world, literally. You are welcome to email me if you have further questions. Lyns Dr.S (mentioned above) also has a fantastic rep!
sweatysweetie
on 5/21/08 5:05 pm
If you are dead set for a lap band, Dr. Simpson is the lap-band "king" in the Phoenix area (he only does lap-bands, no RNY - you can hear him speak on youtube.com - he's funny) and some folks are getting good results going in Mexico, but you need to be careful which surgeon you choose. Sometimes you get sub-standard care and materials. I think there is one called "acevedes" who is good. The prices there are better. Read some people's profiles who have gone to Mexico and check out their experiences. Someone posted a list of what to look for in choosing a surgeon in Mexico. Also, check out all the forums for the different surgeries to see what the potential real-life problems are and what works for who.
Laura Wilson
on 5/26/08 3:35 pm - Sierra Vista, AZ
Hi!  I was just banded on Wednesday (5/21) by Dr. Simpson in Phoenix.  He is the Band-Man!  I drove from Sierra Vista to Phoenix for him.  I LOVE his staff.  His Bariatric Coordinator is Christine Walt.  She is absolutely amazing and oh-so-knowledgeable.  I am 5 days post-op and doing great!  I'm going back to work tomorrow and will see Dr. S on 6/2 for my post-op appointment.  I have been more than satisfied with them.  He is absolutely the band king.  Do your research and pick the surgeon that's right for you however, I highly recommend Dr. Simpson. :) Good luck to you!   Laura
Jenn B.
on 5/28/08 6:25 am - Tempe, AZ
I am a bander myself, and I stronly reccomend Dr. Blackstone and Scottsdale Bariatric.  The care I have recieved there is amazing, and the support available to you is top notch.  Melissa, one of their PA's, is the band queen, and is an amazing person to work with. Never once was RNY pushed on me, infact both Dr. Blackstone, Randy, and Melissa (PA's) felt band was the right decisssion for me and strongly support it.
Most Active