My thoughts

RayM
on 5/17/08 10:26 am, edited 5/17/08 10:32 am - Surprise, AZ
Well I have done a lot of leg work getting ready to start huge change in my life!  I have passed my tests that the Doc wanted.  I have my Psyc eval this Monday.  As per Humana/Medicare I have done all I need to do.  The Doc office told me that I need a 6 month Doc supervise diet but Humana tells me I DO NOT since I am on Medicare.  I just now need to get the office to get my approval.  I am still not sure what surgery I will do (Lap-Band or RNY).

I am thinking RNY because of all the other problems I have (Diabetes Etc) but it really scares me thinking about altering my body.  I have a 3 year girl now and I can not even think about not being here for her.  I REALLY want to lose the weight and get better and be her daddy.  She is so full of life and it is so awesome to watch her.  Which is the problem that hurts me the most  - watching

Lap-Band seems like an option but is it the best?  This is the question I really struggle with.  I do not worry about it because the risk are less but will this work for me?  With the RNY I do sometimes think about not making it though the surgery and this scares me.

I somethings to myself should I stay the way I am now and spend what I have left with my family or should I try for this dream?

Sorry for rambling on but it helps me to get it out.
L. TP
on 5/17/08 10:43 am
You know you should consider going to the seminar at scottsdale health.  Even though you have selected another doctor their seminar is fabulous and really does a great job showing you the pros and cons of both.  I chose RNY even though I am a lightweight because the success rate amoungst insulin resist or diabetic patients is very low with a Lap Band.  You will find many that still succeed being either of these though! The one nice thing about lap is if it doesn't work, you can revision to anything else.  I would discuss things with your doctor and see what they recommend.  My surgeon really suggests RNY for anyone that needs to loose 140 or more or anyone with insulin issues.  Again, not trying to persuade you in any direction. I would look at the statistics and talk to your surgeon.  The right choice will make itself clear! Lyns
dawnmaher
on 5/17/08 2:52 pm - Surprise, AZ
i had dr. fang too and i never was told anything about dieting before surgery.  i was also advised to get RNY because it gave me a better chance of getting rid of my diabetes and other co morbidities.  I had my surgery 7 weeks ago.  all went great and i am now free of all medicines and my sleep apnea machine.  no more diabetes for me!  you sound like you are much younger than me, 52 here and i feel i faired really well with the surgery.   i also didnt like the idea of having to go in for fills with the lap band, and i liked the malabsorption aspect of RNY.  I don't see that RNY is really any more risky than RNY.  Good luck to you,  Dr. fang is really really good.  huggs, dawn
20candy07
on 5/18/08 8:18 am - Tolleson, AZ

Before you make a decision, you should ask your Dr. Fang how long the malabsorption lasts so you can see if you can meet your  weight goal in that time.  I had the RNY because I have diabetes as well and I don't have to take insulin anylonger.  That is good because I was very tired of shots.  I'm sure the lapband would have also done the same thing because of the food restriction.  I was also scared of altering my digestion system so your apprehension is natural.   Best wishes, Candy

Deanne K.
on 5/18/08 11:07 am - Tucson, AZ
Check out Dr.Eric Sclesinger.  He is such a great Dr.  I went to his seminar and support group yesterday and he is great.  Wish I would have had him for my original surgery.
MacArthurBug
on 5/19/08 6:39 am - KY
I definatly support going to some seminars etc and doing the resurch first. I did a LOT of reading on the diffrent types of surgery, and like you I was scared of leaving my kids motherless. However, the road I was on it was looking like that could happen at any moment. I was pre-diabeties, had sleep apnia, couldn't walk 20 steps without feeling winded. I took elevators whenever and wherever I could.  I personally chose open RNY. I wanted that long scar to be my touchstone and my reminder (It is too!)  I wanted the malabsorption (to keep me thinking smart) to go along with the teeny tiny belly. I didn't want to have to go in for fills. My mom yo-yo'd with her weight her whole adult life, and I knew that was my future if I didn't PERMINATLY alter my body. I'm VERY happy with the results after nearly 2 years.  I think as long as you take your surgery seriously you'll be fine. Do LOTS of reading up. What are you willing to live with? What aren't you? I believe that the more educated you are going under that knife (or whatever) the better your after will be.  But.. then that's just me. ;)

~*~ Amber ~*~
highest weight: 335 (possibly more) pounds
current weight: holding steady at about 138-142 
Lowest weight: 136
New goal: Find my balence

RayM
on 5/20/08 1:06 am - Surprise, AZ
Well yesterday I had my Psyc eval of which I passed.  I must say that I feel better after talking with her.  She was very nice and listened. 

So per Humana/Medicare I have meet all the requirements for the surgery.  I guess it is time to figure out which surgery I will have done and getting the Docs office to get this approved.  I am so looking forward to this new start on life and playing with my little girl! 
Most Active