Preop musings...bowel prep,hospital stay,place to stay in Phoenix

beckipoohbear
on 5/14/08 3:35 am - AZ
So...here I sit just 5 days away from surgery.  I have purchased all of my supplements so that I have them on hand once I can start vitamins, I bought my chicken broth and herbal tea, I have started to pack my suitcase.  I am feeling really calm and prepared for this surgery (I excpect the calm part to start to go away as it gets closer). I am still feeling a little anxious about the bowel prep.  I bought the bottle of magnesium citrate yesterday (hopefully it's the right stuff).  It promises on the bottle to have a "pleasing lemony flavor" but really, how true can that statement be? The office tried to bump my surgery up to tomorrow but I have court up in Clifton all day tomorrow so that is obviously not a possibility.  They did warn me they may have to shift my time on Monday and they would let me know later in the week.  Hopefully it's to the 1st position and not the 3rd.  I know SHC will be a great hospital to be in, I just hope I am up to my room and lucid enough to maybe be able to watch the Dancing with the Stars finale (silly I know, but life's simple pleasures right?) Also when my sister had her baby at SHC a month ago, she was allowed to have her laptop in the room and use the wireless internet, I don't know if it's the same thing on our floor but I hope so (as does my poor sister who will be staying with me). I have a little anxiety over the place I am staying after surgery.  I live 3 hours out of town so I am taking 3 weeks off of work and remaining in the Phoenix area the entire time.  My aunt and uncle live in Paradise Valley and had offered up their guest house for me and my sister to stay in for those 3 weeks.  However, my aunt is currently on a trip to China and she was supposed to come home on the 18th.  Well, as you all know that earthquake happened and it turns out that the tour group she was with was the group of 12 americans missing in the Wolong Preserve, visiting the pandas.  I guess from a news article this morning they have been found and are safe but they're not sure when they will be able to get home and I haven't heard from my uncle for confirmation that she herself is fine.  So anxiety over her saftey plus a possible change in plans.  Fortunately I have two other family members I can stay with, my other sister and her husband and my father and stepmom.  Downsides, my sister has a 5 week old baby at home, my father and stepmom have 3 teeenage boys who have gross personal hygiene.  The guest house was going to be such a nice little getaway but at least I have backup plans. Ok, I have rambled entirely too long on this topic.  Thanks for listening. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

iveseenital
on 5/14/08 6:12 am - AZ
Hello! I wish you the best! I work at SHC, As a RN Supervisor in Ob, Plus I had my Surgery there last month. Yes you can bring your Laptop, Yes they have wireless internet, Its free. I wish you a fast recovery

beckipoohbear
on 5/14/08 6:34 am - AZ
Thanks for the well wishes and the info!  I feel lost without my laptop, sometimes I feel like its attached to my hand, so even if I'm not up to using it, it will be nice to have it there.  Plus my sister can keep herself entertained if need be and keep up with her work and homework. Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

Sandra C.
on 5/14/08 8:00 am - Phoenix, AZ
Good luck that all goes smoothly for you. I know how you feel about Dancing With the Stars. I had my wls on a Tuesday and missed the "voting off" show that week. To miss the last show announcing the winner would be truly awful!! Lol!! I hope your Aunt is alright. I have been saying prayers for China and anyone affected by that horrible earthquake. My daughter lives in South Ca, right on the Andreas Fault and I constantly worry. See you on the losers bench!!
dramqueen6
on 5/15/08 6:43 am - Glendale, AZ

I am so excited for you you are so close.. A couple things I learned yesterday in my pre-op class.. Someone suggested putting the magnesium citrate in the fridge because its better cold..  Dont bring your laptop with you in the pre-op area, but you can have in your room if you want someone to bring it for you. 

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
Most Active