Hospital Checklist (and there after)

dramqueen6
on 5/5/08 1:50 pm - Glendale, AZ
I love the baby wipes idea!!! 

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
Gena L.
on 5/5/08 11:30 am - Sun City, AZ
Personally I would forget the slippers. They will provide the socks with the tiger track treads....much safe than shuffling around in slippers believe me!   I too took things to keep me busy. I never even opened the bag as I was so sleepy most of the time. I never even turned the tv on.  I just took advantage of the chance to sleep well, ate a bit when I could, constntly asked for ice chips and tried to be a model patient.....and got treated like one. You might consider the little slurpie machine like mine...it has been a God send in getting more water down. I bought some of the SF syrups to go with but enjoy the Crystal Lite and good old Kool Aid mixed with the ice. I consume at least 4 glasses full of ice and liquid daily and another at bedside at night with just the shaved ice and water...the ice keeps the water cool all night and when I turn over or wake I take a few sips. The machine came with one glass in the box and I bought an extra just so I would have 2 when my great nieces come to visit.  Now another thing I was soooooo grateful to have was a good body pillow Lyns.... it sure helped me get off my back as I am a tummy sleeper and could not do that till about the 3rd week.  I learned years ago how to make a patient comfy by packing pillows around them after turning them and it is a wonderful luxury for ones self to turn over, pull the pillow close, hug it to support the tender tummy area and drape a leg over it. ....then just smile and go back to sleep.  Now  Tums also comes in a powder to sprinkle on the tounge if you need it. I have not, no more reflux or upset tummy other than gas     You must be getting very anxious now....you have been waiting a good long time. I hope your recovery goes much faster than mine.....I sure took my time and perhaps part of that was my being almost 62 y.o. but on Sunday I woke up feeling like a brand new person finally and I would do it all over again!  The best part?  I am down 31 pounds...more than usual I think but I simply could not eat much at all the first 4 weeks. I will have gained a few pounds when I see my PCP on Wed. but I don't care. It is good to be able to eat again....beef, chicken, pork, sea food.....it is all wonderful and yes I am ahead of my diet just a bit but so far no problems.....and when I get dressed to go out I put something on, look down, or hubby laughs and I pull it off, put it in the donation pile and burrow deeper for something smaller.....Oh my Lord, what a feeling that is!  I have lost so many inches that it is empowering! Thank God for WLS! Gena

20candy07
on 5/5/08 12:05 pm - Tolleson, AZ
A body pillow will help you after surgery as well so you can rest on your side.  I would take a big towel to the hospital for you shower.  They only provide small ones.  You know how uncomfortable it is to take a shower somewhere else other than our own homes?  The hospital for me was worse because you don't know how clean they really are....use their small towels to step on.   Best wishes for speedy recovery..... Candy

L. TP
on 5/5/08 3:31 pm
The nice thing about Scottsdale is the 5th floor is nothing but bariatric and EVERYTHING is big person friendly, even the towels and some toilet seats!  I love it.  I think I will bring one just in case but I think they have that covered... I am so happy for you to have lost 31 pounds Gena!  WOW.  Thanks for the extra advice too.  I will surely need it.  You may be 62 but Lord knows you definitely look 20 years younger!  I am a bit anxious.  I had half of my pre op labs done today and go tomorrow for the final test which is the ultra sound and then it becomes VERY real.  Its been well...a 2 year journey to get to this point.  I can feel the freak out mode coming on but it will be all okay :) 
wyrdsister
on 5/5/08 10:46 pm - AZ
Hi there,    Just had my RNY a week ago yesterday, so the memories are fresh. I was in for longer than most, 6 days, because of another medical condition. I was very sleepy due to  pain meds, so I couldn't concentrate on reading, or even watching TV, so a couple suggestions to add to the already good list for the hospital: -cd player with headphones and soothing, meditative music came in handy when I wanted to block out my roommate's moaning, vomiting and nurses' station noise. This was a real life-saver. It helped with pain control also. The night before surgery I found a William Ackerman CD at Target that is great!  - a phone card (or cell phone) to make long distance phone calls. - a large sachet of aromas of your choice. I brought a combination of cedar, lavender, eucalyptus, and others that I could bury my nose in to calm nausea and refresh myself. After a week, I am almost back to normal. I hardly feel any pain in my abdomen at all, and my energy level is slowly getting better. I slept for a full day without pain meds when I left the hospital, and that helped tremendously.  Good luck!
dawnmaher
on 5/6/08 1:10 pm - Surprise, AZ
Hi Lyns,  I never used my slippers I bought.  If I had to do it again I would take at least 2 pillows.  I wanted lots of proping of my limbs to get comfy in those beds.  The pillows they give you in the hospital have a plastic covering under the pillow case and it makes you sweat really bad.  I never wanted to do anything but sleep and maybe listen to tv a bit.  other than that your list is great! Getting excited for you !   Huggs, Dawn
Most Active