Hospital Checklist (and there after)

L. TP
on 5/4/08 6:51 pm
Alrighty guys I am less than a month away from surgery!

Please give me your input. I have two lists..one for things to bring to the hospital ( I was told less is more ) and the other is a list of must haves for the first week or two home.

Hospital:

slippers
a good lip moisturizer
comb/brush
toothbrush/paste
favorite pillow and/or blanket throw
things to do when board

At Home first week:

Gas X dissolving strips
broth, broth and more broth
SF jello
smooth move herbal tea
water, water, water
my own person cabana boy/massage slave and/or palm leaf fanner

Thanks!

Lyns

AzViper
on 5/5/08 12:49 am, edited 5/5/08 12:50 am - AZ

Lyns, I found that the Gas-X strips did not work. After taking four strips over a course of a few hours I had cramping in the stomach with unbearable pain. Walking will get the gas moving. Grab a big bag of ice, this is what made a world of difference for me, just wish I had done this at the beginning. The water may not set with you so you might want to get some Crystal Light to add to the water bottles. I know my entire taste buds have changed. The protein shakes before surgery I tolerated but now I can not stand. I am using the New Whey Protein Bullets in grape flavor of which I can tolerate.   Keith

ginau
on 5/5/08 1:58 am - mesa, AZ
Lynn  Perfect lists !!!!  esp the 2nd one !  only 1 thing I would add - make sure to get your perscriptions filled before surgey.  Wed I have my Revision and  My cabana boy has to work all week-end  sooooo I am looking for a replacement.  if you hear of any fire hire - let me know
Sandra C.
on 5/5/08 3:59 am - Phoenix, AZ

Hi Lyns...Get some SF Popsicles, SF Fudgesickles and SF Jello to have on hand when you get home!! They really help with  getting your liquids in. Also, for sure get what Keith said..Crystal Light. I bought 3 boxes of the single serving packet. One packet equals the 9.6 oz water bottles you buy. Just pour it in, shake, and you have your beverage. Well, show your Cabana Boy how to do it! I bought Rasberry, Cherry and Peach. Peach is my favorite!

beckipoohbear
on 5/5/08 4:44 am - AZ
Lyns... Your list sounds pretty much like what I am planning on.  I am going to try and go it without the Crystal Light that so many others have suggested because our program really frowns on artifical sweeteners and products that have them like Crystal Light.  I am going to ask about the SF popsicles however, cause they mentioned nothing about them in our class and so many people with other surgeons have raved about how wonderful they were right after surgery.  I felt like at class they told us water, broth, SF jello, and caffine free tea and nothing else but I hope popsicles are allowed ! Sounds like you're right on track and let me know where I can pick up my very own cabana boy!! Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

dramqueen6
on 5/5/08 5:56 am - Glendale, AZ

Lyns I am stealing your list and printing it out for me!  Hope you dont mind.. LOL  .. I am so excited for you.. Its so close.. Has your time gone by fast or dreadfully slow.. Dont anyone make fun of me, but on my work calendar in the bottom left corner of everyday is a countdown of how many days are left before my surgery.. I just like having something to look at.. :) But it seems like my time is going by slow!! Quick I need ideas to make this time go by faster so I dont lose my mind.. LOL 

Luv Ya Guys!

Cindy

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
L. TP
on 5/5/08 6:01 am
Hey Thanks guys!   You are all the BEST.  Keeping adding if you think of something! Rebecca, let me know what you find out about the popsicles.  I know they told me the exact same thing.  I also know it works like a charm for people so I am curious what SHC says... Cindy...HAHAHHAHAHA.  I love you.  ha ha ha.  Good for you for posting a count down on your calendar.  You should have one on your myspace page like me!  It totally helps.  I would say once you hit 4-6 weeks it goes fast because every week or every other you have appointments to go to.  Me.
ginau
on 5/5/08 7:44 am - mesa, AZ
Lynn  Save your money ! Dr Blackstone and the crew frown on Sf  items - esp  right after surgery ! stick to her list  unless you want  some stern talks with Randy !  if your going to group tonight - Ask  Dr Buddy  ot who ever is doing the group - I will be in womans center group  with Dave Engstrom. ( you might run into cassie in hall if you get there early )  S.F.  items are frowned upon because they tend to stimulate the appetite ! and contain a lot of salt .  you might try 1 bottle of Isopure  and put  2oz over crushed ice !
Deanne K.
on 5/5/08 1:18 pm - Tucson, AZ
They do frown upon the sugar free items as they stimulate cravings.  I didn't believe them, but you know what, they are right, at least it is for me. I wouldn't take much of anything, they can get you everything you need.  I wouldn't bother with the slippers, I put on my own shoes.  More comfortable to walk your laps.  The nurses laughed at me, but who cares, I couldn't walk around without my shoes without utter pain.  They will keep you up really late.  Take a couple of DVD's, if they still have their DVD players in the rooms, it helps to pass the time before they will let you go back to bed.  I haven't been on the new floor since it opened.  I did visit it when they had their open house when I was at an appointment with Randy.   I didnt use anything I took except for my toothpaste, didn't like theirs.  I was in for 5 days, so I was bored stiff.   Take a small pillow with you to hold against your stomach, it does help, especially when you are going home to put between the seat belt and your stomach.  I remember they had the worst bottled water, so if you are picky, take your own. 
HarleyGirl
on 5/5/08 7:56 am - Maricopa, AZ
Although my surgery was 4 yrs ago, I remember well what you are going through.  I recommend  baby wipes, helps to keep you fresh all over I bought a "granny style" snap in the front cotton robe(duster) I am a little on the vain side, I wanted to look cutesy walking the hallways and not wear hospital robes God Bless and Good luck to you on your journey!
His Harley Girl
Open RNY 4/1/4
330/195/TT 4/13/7 Working on -20 more
Most Active