Nervous for the 1st time

beckipoohbear
on 5/1/08 7:41 am, edited 5/1/08 9:25 am - AZ
Well...I'm suprised it's taken this long but I am actually starting to feel nervous about my surgery now that it is only 2 1/2 weeks away.  All of a sudden it feels like there is a HUGE list of things to do: buy vitamins, buy protein drinks, pack for the hospital, pack for my family's house (since I live 3 hours from the surgeon, so I need comfy clothes for 3 weeks), remembering to practice the deep breathing hourly, practicing with the spirometer thingy and coughing (I am totally forgetting to do this stuff).  I am anxious about giving up Iboprufen in a couple of days b/c of my knee pain.  I am nervous about my surgeon since he is new and I will meet him for the first time next Wednesday.  I am nervous I won't have lost enough weight and they will postpone my surgery.  My house is a mess, my clothes aren't organized like I had planned. And I'm nervous just a little bit about the actual surgery itself, which my sister (who is getting a doctorate in psychology) tells me she would be worried if I wasn't nervous.  I know this is normal, just wanted to let it all out a little bit to my friends here on the board.  I am feeling positive, excited, nervous and god knows what else but soon I'll be on the losing side and that will be great! Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

azreggie
on 5/1/08 9:58 am - Tucson, AZ
Your sister is right, if you weren't nervous, WE would be. You are exactly on schedule.  You'll have your ups and downs and all the in betweens that go along with having major surgery AND a major change in your life.  Your about to give up your best friend and your worst enemy.  Talk about conflicted.  Keep on posting and write all your feelings down in your blog.  It will be great to look back on and reflect when its all over and your on the loser's bench.  Hang in there.  You'll be fine.

Reggie

Deanne K.
on 5/1/08 12:47 pm - Tucson, AZ
Rebecca, Hang in there.  Your emotions are right on tract.  Write down all your concerns and talk to the Dr. about them.  Do a few things everyday and you will get there.  I know how it is with the house, I still struggle with keeping it together all the time.  Randy gave me a cream for my knee it is called K.I.C.K. that can help with the pain.  It works for most, but he didn't think it is covered by insurance.  I got a sample from the Apothocary shop, so I don't know what the cost is.  Not being able to take NSAIDS is a problem that my PCP and I fight all the time.  I don't think they will postpone your surgery, but who am I to say what Dr. Blackstone says.  She won't help me unless I lose 5 lbs and I haven't been able to do that in a year since they know I have an enlarged stoma.  It may be even more wieght now.  I just think she is too busy to help  the prior patients who have complications, unless it is life threatening.  You are in good hands and I am sure Dr. Blackstone will be there too.
L. TP
on 5/1/08 1:26 pm
Well, this just like you said is normal.  You don't have to buy vitamins just yet if you don't want to.  SHC told me in pre op that we are to take none in the first 30 days.  I am curious to see what you think of the new doctor too!  Don't forget to a pedicure and chapstick!  I am so excited for you, its crazy!  Oh, and good slippers to walk the halls in.  They recommended ones that have a back because I guess the backless kind are not as easy to walk in or louder... YIPPIE for you! Lyns
beckipoohbear
on 5/2/08 1:47 am - AZ
Thanks everyone for your words of encourgaement!  I actually went shopping around town yesterday to see what I could see in terms of vitamins and whatnot.  I was able to find the multi, iron, liquid tylenol and gas-x strips.  I also picked up my broth and herbal tea cause why not. I'm putting together a little box of stuff my sister needs to bring with us to my aunt's house where I will be staying after surgery.  And Lyns...did they really say no vitamins till 30 days later, b/c my binder says we start vitamins right after the 1 week post op class. Rebecca

Deanne K.
on 5/2/08 2:28 am - Tucson, AZ
Rebecca, If I remember right it is one month after surgery, but they must be chewable at that point.  4 months or later I think you can take pills. Deanne
dramqueen6
on 5/2/08 6:45 am - Glendale, AZ
I am really excited for you and I think its totally normal to go through this.  I am 2 months away from my surgery and some days I think okay I hope this goes okay.  Either way I am counting down the days..I have 67 days left!!  Woo Hoo! But hey who is counting?   When I had my initial consult they said they wanted me to lose 10 pounds, but the NUT told me its not mandatory and made it sound like if I do i do, and if i dont oh well.. not sure if this is right or not. I guess I will learn more in my pre-op class..  Hang in there girl you will be fine.. You get to buy new slippers and stuff.. (sorry everytime I can shop for anything new i get all happy! ) LOL 

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
beckipoohbear
on 5/2/08 7:37 am - AZ
The slipper shopping was fun, and I had been meaning to get some hard soled slippers for home for taking out the trash and going to the mailbox and stuff so it had a double purpose! I also bought some elastic waist pants since I don't have a whole bunch of those and I wanted to be comfy for those first couple of weeks.  Otherwise I have banned myself from shopping b/c how silly would that be when I hope to be shrinking out of everything soon.  So the loungewear and slippers have had to give me my shopping fix!!

westvalley
on 5/4/08 7:23 am - Glendale, AZ
I remember when I started this journey on OH and you were one of my first friends and someone I could ask questions too. Now we will both soon be on the loser bench. It's been a long time coming and your where your suppose to be. I felt the same way. It just all started to hit but it would come and go in spurts. You have tons of support and encouragement here and I know you'll do great. Be nervous....it comes with the territory but also be excited about your life change.
***HUGS***
}i{ Julie
Most Active