Dr's office way harder to work with than my insurance

azbandgirl85020
on 4/30/08 7:47 am - Phoenix, AZ
Any one on here find the Dr's office difficult to work with (not the Dr his/her self) but the office asking for one thing at a time, than saying oh and we need this to and you give them that and then its oh and we also need? My insurance was a piece of cake to work with and has approved my surgery but the Dr's office is now saying one of my clearnaces is not enough they want a full blown report. I am so annoyed I want to change Dr's but I am thinking all the offices would be a hard to work with. 
Lady Lithia
on 4/30/08 10:38 am
I've heard complaints about all of them.  I wish they would make up a form with all the possible things they might need, pre-op testing, documents, records, years jumping through hoops for the circus, etc, and then have an evaluator or somebody sit down and say, for YOU, and YOUR needs, THIS is what we need. Then they check stuff off, and grab the appropriate/necessary forms from an array of possible forms.  For example: Patient 1 needs a 5 year history, and needs an EGD and sleep study, as well as the standard lap-band pre-op testing. So this patient has the lap-band pre-op testing marked down, and the necessary forms/records/ etc all checked off. They have a timeline of what they are supposed to get done by when.  Patient 2 is high risk, and doc wants nearly every test under the sun done (except gallbladder) before taking them on. They check those tests and the appropriate paperwork/documentation that THEIR insurance requires.  It wouldn't be so hard to think up ALL the possibilities for ALL patients, and to make a single form check-list that the evaluator can create. This would save so many darn hassles with the patients NOT getting things done, and snafus with paperwork in the office. It's just amazing to me how many things they don't get done until the patient reminds them, or they remember themselves. I remember finding out 10 days before surgery that I needed cardio-clearance! Egads, you couldn't tell me this THREE MONTHS AGO??? Luckily I had a good ticker and the cardio doc cleared me right away! but jeepers!

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

quiltz
on 4/30/08 4:12 pm - Phoenix, AZ
My surgeon is the same as yours and she is great!  The office was overall good to work with.  Remember they are not as focused on your weight loss as you are.  If a clearance requires additional information, go with it.  The may be something in it that will be essential to know for anesthesia, etc.  Many of us have the personality that thrives on instant gratification.  When things seem to get bogged down, I know in my case, that emotion comes into play big time.  Try to stay focused.  You will get there and from that point on, your life will change.  I'm glad I stayed the course and stayed with that particular practice.  Best wishes.
tradertaz
on 5/1/08 4:55 pm
I'm having similiar problems.  I had to call and call and call.  Emails weren't answered and some calls not returned.  Insurance was a snap compared to getting things worked out.  But I do believe in this doctor. I also believe that the office staff probably is doing the best they can, my personal view is that the work load is just too high.  I thought the same thing as you, but decided to stay with this practice because the doctor comes so highly rated.  Remember the office staff isn't operating, the doc is.
ronswanner
on 5/3/08 5:11 am - Tempe, AZ
Yeah I had the same office and my insurance cleared right away but getting all my clearance was a pain in the ass.  However here is how I look at it.  Dr. Blackstone is the professional and has been doing this for years.  They would not be asking for all this if she didnt feel it was totally necessary.  If they want additional information, go get it done.  There is a reason behind it.  The ends more than justify the means.  Patience grasshopper.  
nostood
on 5/14/08 4:35 pm - Gilbert, AZ
I was very unhappy with Dr. Blackstone's office and WLIAZ in  Tempe.  I switched to Banner Gateway and it is wonderful.  Eileen is the main office person and she is so on top of it and their whole staff is wonderful.  They get right back to you on phone calls and are very organized and gives you a complete list at one time what you need to get in to their office before the surgery.  Check them out (Banner Bariatric in Gilbert, AZ at Gateway hospital).
Most Active