Sleep test

aboymom
on 4/19/08 1:14 am

I just got home from my sleep test.  I was PRAYING that I would have sleep apnea since that was my list chance on my insurance's co-morbidity list.  (No co-morbidity=no pay).  I felt like holding my breath all night.   The whole experience was kind of weird.  Who can possibly sleep anything close to normal when they hook you up like a home entertainment system.  I had more wires than my DVD player! This morning before I left the tech said "Yes, you have apnea."  Of course, my insurance book says I have to have "cardio-pulmonary problems such as: hypoventilation, severe sleep apnea, etc. "  Who knows if I am going to be severe enough. I am just ready to have a plan.  I feel like I just need to know if this is going to happen.  I don't do well in the land of "maybes".  I keep telling myself to be patient and enjoy the journey.  UGH!!!!

dawnmaher
on 4/19/08 3:46 am - Surprise, AZ
my tech wouldnt tell me anything!  my sleep apnea was on the mid range, worse than i imagined it could be but my machine setting is only 8 which is kinda low i think.  still, sleep apnea is sleep apnea.  i dont think you have to worry about it being severe enough.  im sure you will "pass" the test!  congrats in advance! Huggs, Dawn ps.  it is a very weird experience! did they hook you up to a cpap machine during the testing at all? or will you have another test for that.   i had to have 2 separate test. one to see if i had it and one to see how my settings needed to be on the cpap machine. 
aboymom
on 4/19/08 3:54 am
My tech kept saying "the doctor has to read the results but yes you snore and yes you quit breathing."  Hopefully that is enough.  I am SO ready to be posting like all the rest of you LOSERS!!  Of course, I am glad that I've had these 6 months to really think about this and now it is what I want to do!
TaiyaD
on 4/19/08 3:48 pm - Chandler, AZ

I had my sleep test two weeks ago, and I agree with your home entertainment comment. After she got me all hooked up. I thought how in the world am I going to sleep? Not only did they have me wired from head to toe, they also had a camera on me all night. I asked the tech, what happens if I can't go to sleep? She said oh you will. So when I was ready for bed she walked to the door, turned out the light and it was pitch black. In that environment, I guess she was right! LOL

Mild sleep apnea here, but in the report they said it could be treated by weightloss. My Dr. is hoping that will help my case. Hang in there and have hope that everything will be fine.

Nataiya

Enjoying my new life!

L. TP
on 4/21/08 4:43 am
I had to do 3 studies!  I am a pro.  If you have it bad enough typically they will wake you and put you on a Cpap in the middle of the night.  Having said that, I was told numerous times that if I don't have apnea I will not get approved.  In fact the hospital said my insurance has NEVER approved anyone without having sleep apnea.  Guess who got approved without sleep apnea!?  Yep, me. You go girl. Me.
dramqueen6
on 4/21/08 6:47 am - Glendale, AZ
I had mine in the begining of the month and my tech wouldnt tell me anything either.. I go tomorrow to see if I do.. I am really curious if I do.. Being hooked up with all those wires was so weird, but the weirdest thing is being woke up in the morning by a voice over the speaker in the room.. I totally shot straight up in bed and it scared me!!  LOL  I was like yeah I am awake now.. Good Morning to you too.. LOL  I booked it out of there though, I was a little freaked out by the whole process..

Cindy

*Surgery Scheduled for July 8th!! YAY
RayM
on 4/26/08 3:07 pm - Surprise, AZ

My wife knew I have it.  She had told me for years that I do.  The first night at the sleep study I well asleep early in the morning so they never tried the CPAP on me.  I had to wait 2 weeks for them to tell me I averaged 88 attacks an hour.  Now I know why I am always tired.  The Doctor had to now send me back to try the CPAP and figure out what level I would need.  This time it took a little while to get to sleep but when they got me up at 5:15am I was doing pretty good.  I went home and did not work on my Reef Tank which I have not been doing for a while since I had no energy.  My wife said I had a smile and was in a better mood.  Man one night! I week later I got my CPAP.  Last night was the first night I have used it.  WOW.  I am doing well today.  I can not wait to goto bed and use it! BTW my setting is 13

merryterry
on 4/26/08 4:08 pm - AZ
I had my second sleep test last night with a cpap. i slept on my back most of the night. When I try that at home I wake up with bad dreams that I'm drowning or something. Dr. Blackstone's office wanted me to have it done so they can be aware of the apnea during the surgery. Whenever that will be. I guess I'll see my pulmonologist in a couple of weeks to get the details worked out. I hope it works well for me-I can use the energy!
aboymom
on 4/27/08 7:36 am
YEP.  I have apnea.  The tech read my report and told me it was severe but then he said I have 29 episodes per hour.  I think that is a lot lower than most people.  I just hope they leave that "severe" word in my report as that is what my insurance is looking for.  I get fit for the CPAP on Friday.  I am not sure if I will be able to sleep with it on but I will give it a try.  It would be nice to not feel so guilty when I walk by the couch and see where my husband spends most nights!  Too bad my apnea doesn't keep me from sleeping.   It just keeps him from sleeping.
Most Active