Does Stomaphyx really work?

DivaDee
on 4/18/08 7:37 pm - Kaneohe, Hi
No one in Hawaii has had it done yet......and i am going for a consult in May 3rd..... I just wanted to know if it would be worth it or not! Thanx DEE
L. TP
on 4/21/08 4:44 am
I have no idea what that is.  I am sorry.
JRinAZ
on 4/29/08 4:18 am - Layton, UT
Hey there Dee my old Angel Girlfriend! I don't know if you've found all your stomaphyx info out by now or not but thought I'd respond to your inquiry.   A stomaphyx seems to be working best for those who have less than 50 pounds to lose.  It's only for Gastric Bypass post-ops so lapbanders or newbies wouldn't qualify. Basically, the endoscope passes through the mouth like any old endoscopic procedure.  ....Imagine the end of it having kind of pinchers with little fasteners attatched.  The surgeon will begin at the stoma opening and do a grab and fasten all the way around....doing as many rows as is possible to tighten up the stoma area.  They then back it up and do the same grab and fasten in the pouch aread to reduce the size of the pouch.  The twofold benefits are:  1.  Increases restsriction which stops the eating.  2.  Keeps food in the pouch longer which gives more satiety (sense of fullness longer) There are other procedures on the market that are claiming similar results but to date I think the Stomaphyx is the only one recommended by Bariatric surgeon's.  Dr. Erich Schlesinger was one of the 1st 3 surgeon's in the U.S. to be trained in this procedure and has clearly done more than any other surgeon in the Western half of the U.S. His consultations are complimentary. If someone has more than 50 pounds to lose from either regain or from never reaching their goal then the general recomendation for best results is to have a more malabsorptive revision.  Depending on someone's reasons; either medical, metabolic , etc, they may qualify through insurance. Hope that helps!  I'm looking forward to seeing you again when you move back!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Most Active