Funny Cauliflower Story!

JRinAZ
on 4/17/08 12:02 pm - Layton, UT
Sooooo, I was in the line at Fry's last night.  I was buying for the coming week.  I almost always buy meats in bulk at Costco so Fry's is just for smaller packaged produce and dairy.  My cart this time around had a cantelope, apples, bananas, 2 pairs, 2 zuchinni, 2 yogurts, a basket of strawberries and a big head of cauliflower. The lady behind me was checking out my basket.  She then said that she wished she could afford to buy fruits and veggies and that she hadn't had fresh cauliflower in years!  ....WHAT?!!! ....So, I didn't go postal or anything but did take the opportunity to point out that my cauliflower was probably less than one of her 5 packages of cookies!  She was like, "yah, but I have kids" !!!!   .....  I'll admit to feeding my kids crap in the past cuz it was cute or cheap or convenient!  Poor kids!  My cauliflower recipe is to die for!  It's low carb!  Low Calories!  High in healthy and high in yummy!  Sooooo, what do you think?  Is it pricier eating healthy?  Do we guilt ourselves into buying yucky stuff for our kids cuz we think that makes them happy?   It's twisted!!!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

ginau
on 4/17/08 12:32 pm - mesa, AZ
Joyce  Great question ,, My answer - about the same maybe a little cheaper .. I notice I buy better quality of meats ,& veggies too ..a package of cookies  would last me at leasy 6 months , I  eat off the dollar menu alot less... $1.00  double cheeseburger - the bun - is still a good deal !!!! but do pick better  restaurants ! I am a cheap price date !    the movie theatre is a small bag of popcorn and no soda !  sooo yes  I think I do spend less now than before ..  But the protein shakes Make up the money I have saved on groceries !
(deactivated member)
on 4/18/08 2:49 am - AZ
Hi Joyce, poor lady is uneducated in the nutrition dept!!! It is more expensive if you shop at whole foods, but you can get good deals on fresh produce and meat at sprouts. Also beans and rice together are a wonder food, I make these 2 all the time. I eat rice b/c it sits well with my pouch. No pasta though major cramping!! Anyway, I feed my kids healthy stuff and they love it. Yes they get cookies too but also like eating my healthy home cooking.. Going in for my pre-op today, so excited, but scared at the same time. The thing that scares me is the post op pain, I am going to do the pain pump. Talk to you soon.. Hugs, Erin
Deanne K.
on 4/18/08 7:02 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Erin, So are you having another surgery?  Just curious. Deanne
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/08 1:31 am - AZ
Hi Deanne, yes I am but plastic surgery. My pouch and WLS are great, I am holding steady at about 160-165 which is good, I am pretty muscular and tall so I can hold the wt.  I am getting a TT, lipo, breast lift with implants and an upper eyelid surgery. Next monday at this time I will be just into my surgery. I am very excited and trying not to be too anxious about the post op pain...Why are you looking into a revision???  Take care, Erin
Deanne K.
on 4/21/08 2:13 am - Tucson, AZ
Hi Erin, Because my stoma is enlarged and I no longer have restriction and I have regained about 20 lbs.  Also, I am having alot of upper gastric pain, which I am in search of an answer, but it alludes us at this point. 
(deactivated member)
on 4/21/08 6:33 am - AZ
Good luck with your revision, I do pretty well. I try to avoid things that make me sick Milk, pasta, cereal, oatmeal, sugar( I can eat with protien), some fatty foods.  One of my favorite things to eat is Bush baked beans with cottage cheese, I know weird but yummy! 4 out of 5 meals make me neasead after I eat. I just have gotten used to it. I still dump pretty bad and I think I always will. I have also had issues with reactive hypoglycemia a few times. It's scary when it happens. I eat 6-10 oz at a meal and feel pretty healthy other wise( I was always worried about stretching my pouch!) but I did have 2 strictures fixed and food still gets stuck about 4-5 x a week I just deal with it, it's my pouchs way of saying"slowwww down"  Have a wonderful week...Erin
huskerfan85
on 4/21/08 11:53 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Well share that "yummy" recipe.  I am always looking for new things to do with cauliflower.
Gayle  6'2" 

Most Active