I'm home!!

Sandra C.
on 4/13/08 2:03 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hello all my good friends! I got home Friday afternoon and am doing great. I want to thank you all for your calls and warm wishes. This truly is a special group to belong to!!  I'm sorry if anybody tried to call me at the hospital and the line was busy. No, I wasn't on the phone (lol) the phone was off the hook. But that was probably a good thing, as I had a rough first couple of days. My o2 sats went down to 50 and I was on an o2 mask and sleeping most ot the time. The surgery was very long. 3 1/2 hours. My sis and boyfriend were getting very nervous in the waiting room. The Dr found a complication from my first bypass. I had scar tissue around or on? my pancreas and he almost had to remove this. He knew it going in and discussed it with me and got my permission if he did have to remove it, but luckily it's still with me.  Today is the first day I am up and feeling stronger. Yesterday I stayed on my recliner with the puppy all day and had Ray wait on me hand and foot. He has been a sweetie. I was worried about him and the puppy, and the puppy did chew up his cell phone, but he rememberd to water and feed him. My boyfriend got hit by a car and has some brain damage, so I basically take care of him, but he was there for me with support and running across the street to Fry's at one in the morning to get me "Saline nasal spray." Lol. My nose got very clogged up with blood. I had my first cream of rice today for breakfast and took my first chewable vitamin, surprisingly tasty, like St. Josephs aspirin. I tried coffee and guess what. Yuck! One of those taste changes I have been reading about. I was so glad to get home. Those beds are hard in the hospital. Also, here's a tip for anyone going to Good Sam's, especially if you are menopausal like me. It is hot in there, and you are lucky if they can find you a fan, so take a small fan if you tend to be on the hot side!  I'm happy to be on the loser's bench and will be waiting for the rest of you.!!Love you all!!
iveseenital
on 4/13/08 3:42 am - AZ
Glad to see you back. I wish you a happy and fast recovery!
dawnmaher
on 4/13/08 3:42 am - Surprise, AZ
Welcome home Sandra!  The worst is over and every day will get better.  You have such  great attitude I am sure you will do fantastic.  I had the blood in the nose thing too. what is that all about?  Still have it a little over 2 weeks out.  Hmmmm.  anyway take it easy and keep in touch!  Huggs, Dawn
L. TP
on 4/13/08 3:43 am
Welcome back!  I am glad you are feeling better and seem to be able to move forward finally.  Poor thing, but you did it!    I can't wait to see your progress.  WOW.  I can't believe the surgery was that long!  Lyns
azreggie
on 4/13/08 4:01 am - Tucson, AZ
Welcome home Sandra!  Glad to see you're on the mend.  The worst is behind, and it gets better from here on out. We live in Arizona, and it's very dry, that's why the blood in the nose.  I too am menopausal and just asked them to turn the temp down, and they did.  I believe each room has a thermostat.  It was lovely. 

Reggie

Gena L.
on 4/13/08 5:42 am - Sun City, AZ
Oh it is good to hear from you! Welcome home!  We are lucky to have such thoughtful men in our lives. I had  and upset stomach and diarrhea last night and Jim was out at 10:30 pm trying to find some restaurant chicken soup. I had heard that Denny's was wonderful....but they stop serving it at 10:00 pm. Then he went back out at 11 pm to Frys to get me some Campbell's which luckily did the trick and I felt much better!   The blood thing....O2 is VERY drying to the nasal passages. It is the reason I took my CPAP with me as it has a humidifier...but I never felt like putting it together so they just kept me on O2 also. My sat's were low also but heavens Sandra, 50 is very low. Do you use a CPAP at home? If you have to use oxygen  again, just inhale a tiny bit of water into your nasal passages and then blow it back out. It may take a time or two but it works and even tho we have a home humidifier I resort to the water thing often, especially in dry winter or summer. Ocean or saline sprays do nothing for me but I have found a product called Ayr, an OTC nasal spray that works very well to moisten the nasal passages. It is a bit thicker than the others and I think that is why it works better. Good Sam does have individually controlled rooms as does Banner Thunderbird hospital. Sometimes tho they just do not work and you have to push to have plamt services come up to calibrate the thermostats. IF you take your own anything electric it has to be checked out before use by plant services to be sure it is good working condition. The very last place you want a fire is in a hospital! Glad you like the Optisource vitamens. I did before surgery but I did not take 4 of them a day....I have a little trouble taking that many and will go back to my prenatal vitamens when the others are gone. You take care and post often so we know you are ok! Gena

L. TP
on 4/13/08 5:59 am
I cannot think of the name of it, I just saw it on Oprah with Dr. Oz.  It looks like a tiny tea kettle and it cleans out your nose.  It will likely stop the bleeding also.  People SWEAR by it.  They cost around 10 bucks and they recommend you do it once a week.  Its very strange.  You tilt your head to one side and pore the water through the nose and it comes right out the other nostril.  Happy for you :)
dawnmaher
on 4/13/08 8:39 am - Surprise, AZ
It is called a Nettie pot.  I have one and tried to use it after i got home but i was so clogged it wouldnt work lol.  it probably will now tho.  pretty need thing really.  got mine at the health food store for aroun*****llars.  Dawn
Gena L.
on 4/13/08 9:33 am - Sun City, AZ
With medical training I have always been afraid of trying to use one and drowning myself...LOL!  But may try one for hubbys failed deveated septum nasal surgery.  I will have my niece get one for me. She is a very talented Licensed acupuncturist here in the NW Valley, works out of the Banner Estrella hospital. She did training  in China. Just a proud aunt talking. She taught me to cone ears Gena

dawnmaher
on 4/13/08 9:36 am - Surprise, AZ
I have been thinking of getting my ears coned too.  what does it feel like to you?  Dawn
Most Active