Some Answers

JRinAZ
on 4/12/08 2:43 pm - Layton, UT

Hi there Candy! My Taco Soup Recipe is sooooooo super easy! 1 lb lean ground beef browned (I use 2 cuz we like it thick--can use ground turkey) 1 pkg taco seasoning 1 can kidney beans (drain liquid) (I add 1 can of pinto or black beans drained to) 1 can corn (use the liquid too) 1 can diced tomatoes (with liquid) 1 can  8 oz. tomato sauce Dilute to taste with spicy V8 or reg tomato juice (I use reg tomato juice; my *****esn't dillute at all but just adds a 2nd can of diced tomatoes) Stir together & serve topped with grated cheese and a dollop of sour cream (can use lowfat for both) I also serve it with tortilla chips (I crumble mine in the soup...my kids put tons of cheese and then dip the soup with their chips).....sprinkle with sliced black olives and/or green onion if desired. I always quadruple this recipe cuz it lasts well (gets better the next day)......and it's a crowd pleaser.  It also freezes well to make ahead.  .....  Often I brown the ground beef at home, Freeze it and then assemble the canned stuff together at our cabin or camping! **************************************** As for losing malabsorption at 18 months........NOT PROVEN!  ..... It is true that our bodies are miraculous machines and heal themselvs following ANY surgery the best they can.  For some individuals; this may mean that they may grow more (is it scilia?...little hairy things that grab nutrients?)....they may actually grow more intestine....... The big deal about 18 months is that as a newbie, our invaded area is swollen and healing....between 4 to 6 months, the swelling is gone and the body is healed so newbies pannick when they all of a sudden can eat more and empty quicker.  This stage is important to increase lean dense food.  The slider foods like pudding, cottage cheese, cheeses, etc. may not fill and stay as well as they first did.  The pouch is a muscle and does a natural stretch......some people may push the limits of stretch by overfilling and/or by drinking carbonated sodas.  There is a natural bounceback for the majority of Rny patients but a huge regain is not the norm. Our tools should remain useful to us forever if we tend to it and are compliant (UNLESS there is a metabolic or mechanical or medical failure or issue of some type). If you are a newbie and are compliant and are on the right path for your surgeon's program then you should definitely expect success and may never have to deal with regain.  BUT....if you do have regain or never did reach your goal weight, then don't beat yourself up over it.  Go to your surgeon and ger some labs and some diagnositc tests and see what's up.  Maybe a little tweaking is in order.  Revisions are not just for naughty post-ops!  They are an fabulous option to many of us!  Does anyone look down on someone if they need a second heart bypass?  NO!  So, if you need some assistance for a second chance; then go for it!  I did! Can you go back to basics and succeed?  Absolutely!  The basics include lean, dense protein first in your meal.  NO drinking during or at least 30 minutes after a meal so you don't swi**** through the pouch.  3 bites healthy protein to 1 bite low glycemic fruit or veggie and you won't have to necessarily count any calories.  ....  INCREASE:  Protein, Water, and Exercise.  DECREASE:  Simple Carbs, Sugar, Salt, and portions!  Just cuz someone gets in their goal weight rang, doesn't mean they can start chugging liquids with their meals or go back to vending machines at work, etc.  .....  A calorie will love your thighs whether you've got a "tool" or not if we're not doing "mindful eating". ......My friend who spoke at the Chandler Group was Darcie Edelkraut.  She has written cookbooks for WLS post-ops and does Bariatric Life Coaching.  You can post questions to her on Dr. Simpson's message board.  www.drsimpson.com   She totally rocks!  .....  She also pra****s what she preaches and focuses on healthy protein and low glycemic veggies and fruits.  She is gorgeous and proof that we can continue to be successful with our tools! ........jumping off my soapbox now......  ....wishing all a healthy journey!

Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

20candy07
on 4/12/08 4:35 pm - Tolleson, AZ
Thanks Joyce, I copied your taco soup recipe.  Everyone should get to listen to Darcie's presentation.  She added more info to my WLS education.  WLS education is a constant stream of knowledge.  Candy

Gena L.
on 4/13/08 5:57 am - Sun City, AZ
Thank you so much Joyce.  I did a search for her cook book on Amazon but did not find it. Where can we buy it?  I guess best to go to the Dr Simpson  message board. This is all very helpful! Gena

Most Active