Lap Band Out patient

Deweyscts
on 4/9/08 3:35 pm - Scottsdale, AZ
Has anyone had the lap band on an out patient basis?
Stephanie W.
on 4/10/08 2:59 am - Peoria, AZ
I had mine in the hospital, but some surgeons utilize outpatient surgery centers/specialty hospitals. There is one doctor in town who performs the surgeries at a "surgery suite" in his office. I work at a hospital, and one of his patients was brought into our ER by ambulance back in October. He was just discharged from ICU in March. He had emergency surgery to remove his spleen and a second surgery to remove his stomach. He is now in a long-term care facility. I don't know if having his surgery in a hospital would have made a difference in his outcome, but I personally would want to be in a hospital in case there was an emergency. I'm not trying to scare you or anything, but this whole situation has pissed me off since October and I finally had to vent.

--Stephanie

At goal- I'm luvin' it!

Deweyscts
on 4/11/08 1:36 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Stephanie, Thank you for your answer.  It is good to know that people like you are out there.  My question was Having the Lap Band procedure in the Hospital but going home same day.  My Dr. suggests that this maybe a possibility.  Just wanted to know if anyone else had gone home sameday. Thanks again..
Stephanie W.
on 4/11/08 1:18 pm - Peoria, AZ
Oh sorry, I guess I misunderstood your question a little bit. Yes, I went home the same day. I had my surgery at 10am and went home around 8pm. I was supposed to go home straight from Recovery around 2pm, but I got really sick from the pain meds they gave me right after surgery. So I was sent up to a room on the floor until I felt better. I was told it was my choice when I wanted to go home. I could have spent the night. I started feeling better around 8pm, and I preferred to sleep in my own cozy bed at home. Hope that helps.

--Stephanie

At goal- I'm luvin' it!

Deweyscts
on 4/12/08 1:22 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Stephanie. How did you feel the next day?  How long was it before you went to work?  Or do you Work?  You look alot younger than I do.  So I know you would bounce back quicker.  Did you have any episodes of throwing up and all the other horror stories out there?  If you have time and don't mind I would like to know how you did when you got home.  Boy it's been almost 2 years for you.  Are you happy that you did it?
Stephanie W.
on 4/12/08 9:29 am - Peoria, AZ
I had my surgery on a Monday and went back to work the following Monday. (not a sit-down job). I really could have used maybe 3 more days off, but I didn't have any more sick time. Everyone is different as far as how much recovery time they need. I actually went to the movies 3 days after my surgery. It was a comedy. I was laughing so hard, I had to hold my purse against my stitches like a pillow. When I got up to leave the theater, I actually felt alot better. So I guess laughter really is the best medicine. The day after surgery, it's not really like pain, it's just being really, really sore. Like doing 10,000 stomach crunches or something. Getting in and out of bed is kinda tricky, but once you are up, it's okay.  I have had episodes of throwing up when I'm overfilled, but I just go get a unfill. It's not really the same as throwing up. When the food is stuck above the band, you can actually just bend over and it will come up with pretty easy. Nice mental picture, huh? I never had this problem until after like 5 fills.  Am I happy I did it, heck yeah. I just wish I would have done it a long time ago!!
(deactivated member)
on 4/10/08 4:20 am - AZ
I had my on an out patient basis.
It was done at a Specialty surgical center.

Deweyscts
on 4/11/08 1:40 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Hi Baby2Lamb So you had the lap band procedure and went home the same day?  How did you feel?  How many days did it take you to go back to work?  Would you mind going over your story with me?  My Dr suggests that I might be able to have this procedure in the hospital but go home same day...Thank you..
arroyo
on 4/12/08 4:58 am - Phoenix, AZ
I had mine on an out patient basis. It was no problem. I went in at like 1 p.m. and went home at around 9 p.m. My husband just came and picked me up, I was out of it, but able to make it to the car okay. It was really nice being home in my own bed. I had a rough day the next day due to nausea from the anesthesia, once I got some meds for that I felt a lot better. I am glad I didn't have to stay in the hospital over night.

Before pre-op diet: 286.5/ Day before surgery: 275.5/Current: 171

Deweyscts
on 4/12/08 5:31 am - Scottsdale, AZ
Wow.  Looks like it really worked for you.  Was the nausea the next day your only problem?  You're almost at goal good for you.  Was it worth it?
Most Active