St Lukes Hospital in Phoenix

dawnmaher
on 3/6/08 11:37 am - Surprise, AZ
I'm hoping someone here has had some experience with St. luke's Hospital in Phoenix for bariatric surgery.  I have just read some really disturbing reports on this site regarding the care and cleanliness  of that hospital and now I am worried.   Anybody out there who can allay my fears? March 24 RNY date!  Dr. Fang is my surgeon. Thanks! Dawn
JRinAZ
on 3/6/08 12:24 pm - Layton, UT
Hi Dawn, I used to be a patient advocate for Bridges (Phoenix St LUke's).  I'd pop in to see the post-ops and find out how they were doing and see if all was well.  Honestly, the most serious things were usually that their t.v. didn't have one channel clear or something minor like that.  I know when my DH was there for his surgery, we made a phone call to the program director (Kelly) and she had a new t.v. installed that very evening! My stay wasn't great there (cuz I was a miserable patient!) but since then I've been in a few other hospital's and have decided that my DH makes the best nurse no matter where I have a surgery or which hospital I'm in!  ......   The point is that if you've got a bud or spouse or parent hanging around you most of the time,  then you'll get all the ice chips you need and all the walking you need and will be out and in your home recliner before you know it! BTW...my main complaint was that the cleaning staff was always in there cleaning! ....  I couldn't rest!  LOL!  Just cuz it's an older hospital doesn't make it a dirty hospital.....AND....it is decked out for Bariatric folks with the right size chairs, beds, etc. No worries!  The itty bitty time that we are in any hospital for recovery is usually a minor glitch in their very positive journey of LOSING!!!  Having a GREAT surgeon is the most important consideration! ......how bout calling to see if you can go on a tour?
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

dawnmaher
on 3/6/08 12:30 pm - Surprise, AZ
Thanks Joyce,   I think I will call for a tour.  Thats an awesome idea!  Unfortunately my husbands daughter and boyfriend will be here for the entire week of my surgery and I'm not sure how much time he will have to be by my side.  It is not something I can make them change, tickets and all have been purchased.   I do like Dr. Fang very much, hoping that things have changed at the hospital since those posts.  They were pretty bad! Keep my in your prayers lol. Dawn
Gena L.
on 3/6/08 1:11 pm, edited 3/6/08 1:12 pm - Sun City, AZ
Dawn....when I started researching this a couple of years ago I found some on- line comments about St Luke's that left me thinking I would never set foot in there....now mind you I worked for Samaritan Health Services (Now Banner Hospital's) so I was already predjudiced.  The comments were very bad, ranging from dirty nursing units to nurses ridiculing the size of the bariatric patients. I have never set foot in St Luke's except to go to Juarez's office.  St Luke's is an old hospital. My father had surgery there in 1965 and it was far from new then. But do a survey on this site and you will see that most patient's gave St Luke's and Bridges kudo's. Go take a tour of both Bariatric units. I know you are not from here, so likely are not familiar with the downtown area, but both hospitals are quite close to one another. Good Sam at 12th Street and Mc Dowell and St Luke's is at 18th st and Roosevelt.  E-mail me at home jrl91@cox. for some other info I have.  Gena

Lady Lithia
on 3/6/08 2:10 pm
When I read through the reviews on this site for St. Lukes, I was NOT thrilled that that was where I would have to have my surgery. BUT, there were a few things that ease my mind (surgery in 12 days!)  * My hubby will be hanging with me most of the time.  * a lot of the complaints I read about the hospital seemed almost frivolous... some weren't but ones where people were upset about their roommate being hispanic and only speaking spanish, or the fact that they didn't get nursing help immediately.... well those seemed to be from people who either had prejudisms and equated spanish-speaking with inferior, or from people who seemed to expect four-star hotel service instead of it being a hospital with a specific agenda. I could care less if my roommate speaks spanish or not (I am bilingual so that could influence me)... and I know that it is not supposed to be restful or convenient for ME at the hospital.  *I plan on doing everything possible to get out of there as soon as possible. I'm gonna be the most compliant and go-getter patient they've had.  *I was there for pre-op testing Tuesday and overall found everyone to be cheerful, accomodating, and matter of fact. I had very little to no waiting for any of the different appointments I had. Everyone passing me in the halls was pleasant and positive. NObody seemed to think or act in any way negative towards me. If I get that kind of pleasantness while I'm staying I think it will be pretty darn awesome. Now...with that said I have heard some things that are negative about the nursing staff directly from patients who have recently had their surgery. I have a method for dealing with this. I will first treat every nurse with the sort of respect those in the nursing profession deserve. NOBODY gets paid enough money to be a nurse... the THINGS they do... yikes... I believe nurses are very wonderful people and I try to let them know. Second, I know to ask for what I need long before I desperately need it. IF I ask half an hour before I need something and it takes half an hour to get it, then they're pretty timely. And did I mention I plan on being compliant and getting the heck out as soon as I possibly can? Congrats on your surgery date. :) Just 6 days after me!!! :)

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

dawnmaher
on 3/7/08 2:57 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks Lythia, You have a great attitude!  I will do the same.  I agree about nurses being overworked and underpaid.  Glad you had such a great pre-op experience.  I didn't realize that would be at the same place as the surgery, so I should get a good idea when I am  there about what to expect.  Just wish I knew Spanish lol.   Let me know how you make out and good luck !
20candy07
on 3/7/08 4:30 am - Tolleson, AZ
I had my surgery at St Lukes and to tell you the truth the hospital was fine.  It's a bit dingy and in a dingy part of town.  The nurses and nurses aides were very caring.   My only regret was that they didn't put me in a room with another WLS patient so we could talk weight loss surgery and walk together.  That is my only complaint mind you.  I was in a room with a lovely lady who was in there for observation and not abdominal related.   Once the IV was taken out of my arm the next day after surgery I was free to get up and go as I felt for my walks.   Before you go for surgery get a list of items you should take to the hospital so you don't over pack.  For instance....you will need large towels for your shower.....the towels they provide are very small.  I guess I had 2 complaints.....hehehe... Don't take PJ's or nightgowns...the hospital gowns are fine and more comfortable because the incisions are still oozing.....They give you fresh gowns daily. Two days passes quickly.   Best of luck.....hope your hospital stay is pleasant...
dawnmaher
on 3/7/08 4:36 am - Surprise, AZ
Thanks Candy, Never would have thought of the towel.  All this feedback is making me feel much better about the whole thing.  Hopefully I will be able to give a good report afterwards too. Dawn
moirap
on 3/7/08 10:46 am - Mesa, AZ

When I had my surgery at st lukes I had so many post op complications (you can read my profile) I was not happy with the facility. I also had the disadvantage of being a nurse and knowing too much. All of those complications ended up saving my life. The bottom line is there is no perfect hospital or doctor. I liked Dr Fang very much. You really can't grade a hospital on how nice it looks and you may never have the same nurse more than once. The bottom line is you need to direct your care. As soon as you can get up and get moving (not by yourself until you are ready). Deep breathe use the triflow and do what they tell you to and work as hard as you can to get home.Take your pain medicine and work hard to recuperate. Nobody can care for you as well as your family can so your goal needs to be get well and home ASAP. Good luck.  Moira

Lady Lithia
on 3/7/08 11:05 am
So how do they decide when you can go home?

~Lady Lithia~ 200 lbs lost! 
March 9, 2011 - Coccygectomy!
I chased my dreams, and my dreams, they caught me!
giraffesmiley.gif picture by hardyharhar_bucket

Most Active