Help!!!

Megs515
on 1/14/08 5:43 am - Phoenix, AZ
I need ideas on how to get all of my protein in. I'm terrified of losing my hair...I know some is normal but I don't want to lose tons. How did all of you make sure to get all of your protein in??? Thanks for the help!!!!!! Megan
ginau
on 1/14/08 7:47 am - mesa, AZ

NO matter what - you will loose hair,  the protein, the stress, the body  is in shock internaly ;

work on eating higher protein foods , chickan ^& fish, use  you protein supplemnts , keep a journal diary of how much  you get in daily ,  also make sure to get abalanced  vtaimin that  anduse Biiotin 0 it will not stop hair loss but helps limit it.

Megs515
on 1/15/08 12:18 am - Phoenix, AZ
What protein supplements are your favorite?
JRinAZ
on 1/14/08 9:18 am - Layton, UT
Hey Megan, I lost very little hair but still came up missing a couple of handfuls.......It is very difficult as a newby to get  all the protein and vites  in!  I actually used a timer for like 3 months post-op.  Say you start your morning at 6 then begin with sipping a protein drink.  If you're one of the ones who is queesy in the morning or things feel really tight then have your first drink be hot or warm.  You can stir in a scoop of flavorless protein (Vitaman Shope carries Any Whey flavorless) into your tea, or you decaff coffee or even into a no sugar added hot chocolate.  I like a scoop of vanilla protein powder stirred into a sugar free hot apple cider.  Or make a hot  chocolate out of your choc protein powder (add some sugar free caramel or peppermint syrups for a treat!) You can drink water almost immediately after your protein drink since the waiting of 30 minutes is basically so you don't push food through your pouch. Drink water until 7:30 and then eat your 2 ounces of protein at 8 (like an egg w a bit of cheese or your cream of wheat with a scoop of flavorelss protein stirred in)  Drink water from 8:45 until 10 and then have a protein drink at 10. 10:30 drink water until 11:30 12:00 eat 2 oz of lean protein 12:30 drink water until 1:30 2:00 protein drink 2:30 to 3:30 drink water 4:00 eat 2 oz of lean protein 4:30 drink water until 5:30 6:00 eat 2 oz of supper with your family (focus on protein) 6:30 drink water until 8 8:30 protein drink (hot protein drink is comforting) drink water Need a nibble right before bed?  .....  How about 1 tsp peanut butter on a slice of banana or 1 oz string cheese? It's a tough schedule that takes focus but you'll not only get well over 100 grams of protein with this plan....you will be in ketosis and lose as much as possible in your losing "window". This plan is also great for those who need to get back on track cuz you literally feel like food is going in your mouth the entire day.  Less of a desire to graze or binge on naughty foods! Other helps for hair: Biotin morning and night (cheap little white tablet at Wal Mart) shampoos (check out Ulta or Sally's)......I'm not convinced but some say it helps. Keep up with your multi vites My favorite:  Head Massage by someone who loves you!  ooooh  la la!
Joyce 
Rny 2/11/03-> ERny 12/26/07-> Duodenal Switch 5/12/2010   
     www.dsfacts.com , www.dssurgery.com , & www.duodenalswitch.com

Gena L.
on 1/14/08 7:40 pm - Sun City, AZ
Joyce, many thanks for posting this. I am getting closer to approval and of course just beginning to realize what a really BIG change this surgery will make in my life.   Gena

Megs515
on 1/15/08 12:31 am - Phoenix, AZ
JOYCE!!! Thank you so much for this! It will help me a great deal. I find it kind of hard to put myself on a schedule because none of my days are the same but with what you posted, I think I can do it. I go to school Monday and Wednesday morning then I have to pick my sister's kids up from the babysitters and take them home. I'm home with the girls until about 5:30 then I leave to go back to school until 9:10. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I'm home with the girls all day until 5:00 then leave to go to school...Friday-Sunday I'm at work....I never thought about setting a timer...that is a really good idea. I think I might just be able to do this!!! Thank you again soooo much!
quiltz
on 1/14/08 11:37 am - Phoenix, AZ
Hair loss for some of us is just a part of the process.  Others seem to have little or no problems with hair loss.  I have read many, many posts and talked to my surgeon and hairdresser and they all say the same thing.  You can try taking biotin, but it "probably" won't help.  I have thick hair and lose a bit every day in my hairbrush, but funny thing, I can't really tell it is missing.  If I were to lose all my hair it would not be as bad as going back to the state I was in physically before surgery.  My hair will re-grow, just on a much healthier and happier body!
Nicole W.
on 1/14/08 12:58 pm - Cave Creek, AZ
Try to do at least 20 grams of protein per meal.  I try and eat a palm size piece of protein with every meal... either chicken, turkey, fish...  that is about 20 grams of protein.  My hair thinned out a great deal and it is finally starting to get thicker, but different too... the top of my head is much different then it was a 6 months ago.  It's taking forever to grow back, but I have also been horrible with my vitamins, so it's my own fault. Also, birth control pills or increased estrogen can cause hair loss.  It's so wonderful.  I wish I could wear hats... because it would be great.  I just look funny in them!

TinkerBell

Gena L.
on 1/14/08 7:37 pm - Sun City, AZ
Unfortunately hair loss seems to follow most surgeries...they say it is a side effect of stress and the anesthesia meds. I experienced it after my c-section and hysterectomy tho neither time was I stressed...both were happy occasions ;-) Gena

mrs.3m
on 1/15/08 2:43 am - Mesa, AZ
What worked for me was changing my multi vitamins to a pre-natal and adding a folic acid pill to my vit regimin. (Ask any pregnant woman how her hair grows during pregnancy and they'll tell you super fast) This won't stop the loss but will speed up the re-growth process. I had re-growth start while I was still losing hair.
Most Active