losing hair

cybird
on 1/9/08 2:26 pm - Queen Creek, AZ
HELP!! I am 4 months post op and my hair is falling out like I imagine it would if I were taking radiation. I have heard this is a common thing but at this rate I will be bald in a month. I have or had really thick hair too. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks
(deactivated member)
on 1/9/08 11:17 pm - AZ
I would suggest making sure you are taking your vitamins and getting all of your protein in.
I lost my hair. I think it was the shock to my body loosing so much weight in a short period of time.
I increased my protein intake and the hairloss stopped for me.
Michael B.
on 1/10/08 1:23 am - Gilbert, AZ

This topic comes up alot....The things that I have heard you can do are: Make sure you don't skimp on your protein intake or vitamins Try some special shampoos - Bitoin? Or, do what I did - instead of getting my hair cut at Wal-Mart I decided to try a hair-salon, where the experienced hair stylist was able to look at my situation and recommend a style and even an inexpensive hair spray that maximized what I had (basically heavy gels and waxes bad - lighter sprays that don't create clumps or chunks of hair: good) Also, almost universally, it is just temporary - once you're weight stabilizes, the hair WILL start to return, it just takes a few months to grow...was true for me anyway...in the meantime how abot a nice Diamondbacks or Sun Devils hat!

Visit My Newly Launched Blog:

mrs.3m
on 1/15/08 2:35 am - Mesa, AZ

Very common and usually happens right at the 3-4 month mark. Not a whole lot you can do at this point other than the already reccommended protien and vitamin increase. I switched my multi-vitamin to a pre-natal and also increased my folic acid, that helped my regrowth speed up. I had new hair growing while I was still losing hair.  Hope that helps.

heeler69
on 1/18/08 3:40 am - buckeye, AZ
It has been 3 years since my surgery but when my hair started to fall out I also got really scared.  I did some research and found a product called Nioxin.  They have a full line of hair products.  The one that worked for me was the spray you put on your hair at night before you go to bed.  I would see new growth and more would fall out.  It is a cycle.  But it will stop slowly.  Nothing will work right away.  It will take some time.  Be patient.  Funny thing is my hair was real curly and now it is just wavy.  So it does grow back different. I also added some exta biotin tablets to my daily vitamin intake and used the b-12 sublingual.  Hair is protein and you need all the extra you can get. Hope this helps. Cynthia -98 for 3 years (yeah)
Most Active