NO Ins Coverage for ANY WLS

Kanetaco
on 3/9/08 1:03 pm - Phoenix, AZ

I am so sorry about that.  I hate telling people that they have no coverage when they are not expecting it.  I try to let everyone know beforehand what the worst case scenario cost will be so they are not in shock.  Can you maybe work with your work to change your policy?  The WLIAZ, and an y other place, would certainly work with you to find something that would work with your budget.  I know that we give sig significant cash discounts and work with you to get get coverage for most of your tests. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

Thanks,

Clay 

Kathleen L.
on 3/21/08 8:44 am - Prescott, AZ
I have United Healthcare too.  They do not pay for any bariatric surgery and that seemed to be that.  I just accepted it.  I used some savings and financed the rest.  It cost me $16,500, but that was May of 2007...it may be higher now.  It was worth every cent.  I see it this way...if you were shopping for a car, a lot of us would spend $16,500 easily.  This surgery is worth way more than getting a new (or new-used) car!  The payments are less than most people's car payments and a better investment!
kimcropable
on 3/23/08 2:27 pm - Tempe, AZ
Well, I don't compare my body to a piece of metal.  I am not having surgery.  Instead, I choose to eat like I had a band--otherwise, just eat less.  Then went more and did some other things, you can read my profile for details, but now, I have lost 25 lbs and 22 lbs and now into a size 18.  I have now 50 lbs to lose and happylying losing it own my own. Thanks for the info. Kim
L. TP
on 3/23/08 2:51 pm
Hey Kim, Okay my insurance company told me FOUR times it was not covered.  FOUR.  I called that many times over the course of a year and the entire time it was.  Now I talked to 4 different people even.  They may not but thats just some food for thought.  Its all in the wording.   Grocery Stores from what I understand have health insurance that covers it, most of them.  Thats what my doctor office told me.   I recommend you have your doc office call and really verify.  Scottsdale health care is awesome with this.  They know how the insurance companies lie and word things in misleading ways.  They will need your policy number.
kimcropable
on 3/23/08 5:40 pm - Tempe, AZ
This is really an old post--like 3 months ago.  I am not having WLS, as I am doing it own my own instead.  I was going to pay out of pocket and was "watching what I eat" until surgery date, then the weight just started to finally come off.  So, now, I am just doing it own my own instead.  I work out at Lifetime Fitness and meet w/ there Dietien, which has been a GODSEND, she has been really helpful.  With her help and working out, I don't feel that I need the surgery.  The only surgery that I would be able to have is the band and I am losing the amount that I would have with the band own my own. Thanks for the info however. Kim
Kathleen L.
on 3/24/08 6:15 am - Prescott, AZ
I wasn't really comparing my body to a car...but I was comparing the cost.  I had to think about it that way because the private pay cost was at first alarming to me and seemed out of the question.  After I thought about some of the other ways I spend money,..bigger investments, like a car...it didn't seem so unattainable after all.  I thought someone might find it helpful...I didn't mean to offend anyone.  I wish you the best in all your efforts.
kimcropable
on 3/25/08 3:21 am - Tempe, AZ
Thanks!  I see you point.  But, this is a really old link--see post date of 1 of 2008. I am not having WLS as I have been just eating heathier and working out and as of now, it seems to be working, the weight is coming off.  I am working with a dietian and a trainer.  I am doing everything that you do with surgery except the surgery itself.  I am eating like I had surgery, following the program like I had surgery.  It seems to work for me.  I am down from a 24 to a 18 since 1/7/8. Thanks! Kim
Most Active